latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Washington County Minnesota homeless prevention.

Several non-profits, the county of Washington, and charities partner together as part of a Homeless Prevention Collaborative. The agencies work together to assist tenants who are facing imminent homelessness, provide Coordinated Entry to help residents find a new place to live, and they offer a number of other housing assistance programs.

Depending on need, whether the applicant is a tenant or homeowner, and other factors what may be provided in the Stillwater Minnesota region is the following.

  • Grants to pay for expenses ranging from security deposits to back rent, moving costs, heating or energy bills, etc.
  • Information on accessing affordable housing in Washington County Minnesota.
  • Coordinated entry, which is a form of rapid rehousing for the currently homeless in the region.
  • Referrals to free HUD counseling for any homeowners who are behind on their mortgage and/or facing foreclosure.
  • Lawyers based in Stillwater may offer pro-bono, or free legal advice, to a tenant or homeowner to deal with their crisis.

Other support may be arranged too. This will depend on whether the family or individual leases a home or owns it. There are also considerations around funding levels.

Agencies in Heading Home Washington Collaborative

As noted, different groups participate in homeless prevention. They include the Salvation Army, St. Andrews Community Resource Center, Washington County Community Services, the federal government HUD department, and others. They tend to focus on different age groups as well as situations. But all of them want to stop evictions as well as foreclosures, and eliminate homelessness.





Eviction help – Residents who are behind on their rent and maybe within days or weeks of an eviction can try one or more groups. They include the hotline for Washington County Emergency Assistance, and that phone number is 651-430-6455. Another charity, which is a Christian based church, for renters to contact is the Salvation Army, and for funding inquires or shelter call 651-739-6288.

The eviction prevention is meant to be pro-active. Tenants should call one of those Stillwater based agencies before they fall too far behind on their rent and/or housing costs.

Washington County Coordinated Entry Services – This is another resource for struggling residents. It combines both prevention along with rehousing services. The goal is to help as many residents as possible, but resources are always limited.

There are several parts of Coordinated Entry. One is to stop imminent evictions and/or foreclosures. The other main one is to rehouse the currently homeless, and help them find safe, affordable homes to live in. The agencies below also partner with social service case workers, who are based out of the main Stillwater office.

There are different organizations to try for help. They include the following. A family with a child, and this includes single moms and dads, should dial 651-762-9124 to reach the team at the St. Andrews Community Resource Center. They will go over all options, whether it is legal aid, cash grants to pay for some bills or housing, or just relocation.

All other homeless prevention in the region is done by Washington County Community Services. This is a government affiliated agency that offers comprehensive homeless prevention assistance. The intake number is 651-430-6488.




When seeking any type of assistance, be sure to bring extensive documentation to prove the need for help and to show what is being done to address the emergency. Everything from proof of income to copies of pay or quit and/or foreclosure notices will be required. The Coordinated Entry Services also wants to determine what the applicant plans to do to pay future housing costs on their own. All of this will be placed under consideration before any support is given.


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page