latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Help in Vermont with paying utility bills.

Customers of utility companies in Vermont have several different ways to get help with paying their heating and utility bills. There are also a couple energy conservation and weatherization programs offered.

While some of the services and resources can help people save money through weatherization, others offer direct financial aid and assistance to the low income and people who are facing an emergency or disconnection. Most community action agencies across Vermont administer the utility and heating bill financial assistance programs. Find information below on the services and options available.

Vermont programs offered across the state

There are a few different resources that are offered by the state, and are available in all locations. They include general assistance, Efficiency Vermont, WARMTH as well as the Weatherization Trust Fund, which is in addition to the standard weatherization program.

Efficiency Vermont - This is an energy efficiency program that was created by the legislature as well as the school board (of all unlikely places). This program provides electric efficiency improvements and free energy conservation measures to eligible customers of Vermont’s electric utilities. As just an example of some of the improvements offered by the program, measures provides to customers include furnace tune ups, energy efficiency lighting and bulbs, refrigerator and freezer replacement, and water heater efficiency measures. Dial 1-888-921-5990 for details.

General Assistance - This fund provides emergency financial help and cash grants to meet help the basic needs of individuals and families throughout Vermont, including providing help for heating oil, fuel and utilities. Qualified low to moderate income, people with zero income, the unemployed, those who have been evicted or lost their home, and those undergoing an unexpected emergency all may be able to apply for help. Dial 1-800-479-6151 to apply or for more information.




Weatherization - Vermont adds to and supplements the federal government offering to ensure that even more people can get access to energy saving improvements to their homes. The state provides an additional several million dollars per year towards weatherization. Call your local community action agency to apply or learn more.

WARMTH - This program is created from donations from local families, businesses, and utility companies themselves. It is targeted at low income, unemployed, and working poor. Financial assistance from the WARMTH fund is available when a customer as no other options, and assistance for energy bills is not available from any other source. So that means a person can’t get help from the federal government, local charities, or anywhere else. Dial any of the following community action agencies to apply for help or learn more.

  • Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity, Inc. 802-862-2771
  • Vermont Community Action Directors Association 802-775-0878
  • Central Vermont Community Action Council, Inc. 802-479-1053
  • North East Kingdom Community Action 802-334-7316
  • Southeastern Vermont Community Action, Inc. 802-463-9951

Low cost or free firewood can be provided. Government grants, such as from LIHEAP fuel assistance in Vermont, can help pay for it. Or there are also parks, charities, and programs by county. The assistance is for those families that heat their home with a wood burning stove, fireplace, or a related product. Read more on how to get free firewood.

Central Vermont Public Service - Customers can apply for help from the The Shareheat Fund. This financial assistance Fund helps less fortunate and low income customers pay their winter heating and energy bills. Applicants and recipients of aid from this fund must have exhausted other fuel assistance funds (such as from the government and non-profits) before receiving help from Shareheat. Local community action agencies  across the state of Vermont administer the cash grants from the program. You can call the agencies listed on this page. Each application is reviewed closely.





Government low income assistance - Families with children, senior citizens, and the disabled are the primary beneficiaries of the federal government funded weatherization and fuel assistance programs (LIHEAP). Qualified applicants can receive cash assistance from the state of Vermont, and all funds are applied to heating and energy bills. Get more details on fuel assistance in Vermont.

Green Mountain Power - Customers who are considered low income and who meet certain thresholds may be qualified for up to a 10% discount on their monthly utility and heating bills.

Green Mountain Power - In addition to discount offered above, they provide additional weatherization programs. More free help is available to low-income households through local weatherization agencies. Get heating unit repairs, insulation, sealing of air leaks, and other aid. Call the following.

  • CVCAC - 800-639-1053 (Lamoille, Orange, Washington)
  • CVOEO - 800-287-7971 (Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, Grand Isle counties)
  • NETO - 802-748-8935 (Caldonia, Essex, Orleans)
  • BEN-Rut - 802-775-0878 (Bennington, Rutland)
  • SEVCA - 800-464-9951 (Windham, Windsor)

Or you can call the state of Vermont government agency State Economic Opportunity Office at 1-802-241-2450.

Green Mountain Power - In addition to the resources above, GMP may have other energy bill assistance programs or options available for qualified households. The company recommends that customers call and explore their options before they receive a shut off notice. Read more.


By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site