latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Utility bill assistance from Temporary Energy Assistance for Families.

Customers from San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E), Southern California Edison, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, and Southern California Gas Company can receive cash grants and funds to pay utility bills from the Temporary Energy Assistance for Families (TEAF). The program is being run by the Salvation Army, and the funding comes from the federal government stimulus program, which is formally known as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Even after the funding from the program ends, some privately raised funds may also be available also help with utility bills. .

The Temporary Energy Assistance for Families (TEAF) is being run in the state of California by the Salvation Army. It is aimed at those people who are experiencing a short term financial hardship or some type of crisis. If a family or individual were to apply for help, and if they are found to be qualified, they may be able to receive receive a one-time emergency energy grant of up to $1,500 to help them pay outstanding energy and utility bills, and the money will also help people prevent a disconnection of their service.

Temporary Energy Assistance for Families (TEAF) criteria

Grants for paying utility bill are available to those customers who are in arrears on their utility bills and who are parents, so called non-custodial parents of a child under 18 years old, or guardians. In order for a customer to qualify for the full grant amount of $1,500 for their utility bills, customers must provide proof of U.S. citizenship. Some of the other criteria include those customers who do not have proof of US citizenship for themselves but do for their children will receive a prorated cash grant amount. In addition, recipients of the grant must also provide proof of total household income and also a copy of their most recent utility bill showing the current and past-due amounts that is owed to their power company. In addition, grant  recipients' total household income needs to be or fall below 200 percent of the federal government poverty level.





Grant utility program

Federal government stimulus dollars are being used for this program. However the Salvation Army and many of these energy companies are constantly providing qualified families with other assistance above and beyond TEAF. The financial assistance and cash grants are being made available to qualifying California utility customers through a public funded grant made possible by the federal government American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. But that is not the only funding source being used. In addition, additional funds are being provided directly from California's investor-owned utilities as well as private sources.

The utility and gas companies have been working closely with a number of towns and local counties throughout California and the Salvation Army. In addition, support and money is being offered by the California Department of Social Services, the California Public Utilities Commission, local charities, and The Salvation Army to implement this program across the state. Several million dollars are being used to fund the Temporary Energy Assistance for Families (TEAF) program.

How to apply

Customers of Southern California Edison, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Southern California Gas Company, and San Diego Gas & Electric should contact their local Salvation Army branch to learn how to apply for the $1,500 grants. Case managers from your local center may also have other financial assistance programs for referrals. So a number of options are available for paying utility bills and to help keep their service on. They can also dial 1-800-933-9677, or locate more California Salvation Army assistance programs.




By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site