latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rental assistance in Stearns and Sherburne County.

The main services available in Stearns County and Sherburne include emergency rent assistance as a form of homeless prevention. Non-profits, as well as a few select government organizations, also may assist with rapid rehousing, and this will include both placement into a new home as well as funds for paying a security deposit.

Any assistance available for paying a portion of back rent is limited and comes with conditions. It will also only be in the form of short term help so that the family can explore longer term solutions. In the greater St. Cloud area, much of the funding for housing and rental costs comes from government grants and agencies, and there is often a waiting list in place.

Housing and Redevelopment Authority of St. Cloud
Address is 1225 W Saint Germain St.
St. Cloud, Minnesota, 56301
Call (320) 252-0880
Section 8 housing vouchers is a HUD created subsidy portion that pays a portion of rent based on the applicant's income. There is also help for the disabled and mentally ill.

Stearns County Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA)
Call (651) 296-7608
Assistance for rent, housing, and medical needs is only for persons living with HIV/AIDS and their families.

St. Cloud Rental Assistance Programs
Phone: (651) 296-7608
The statewide Housing Finance Agency provides cash grants to county government and non-profits. Together there is funds for eviction prevention services, back rent, security deposits, and shelters in the area.

Legal aid
Office address - 110 6th Ave S #200
St Cloud, MN
Dial (320) 253-0121
Lawyers offer free advice on housing matters, ranging from eviction help to foreclosure counseling and landlord repair issues.




Stearns County Human Services
705 Courthouse Sq Fl 2
St. Cloud, MN, 56303
Call (320) 656-6131
A program known as EGA - Emergency General Assistance is one time financial aid. It addresses safety issues, which can include lack of housing. Cash aid may be for mortgage or rent payments, utilities, or a security deposit for a resident leaving transitional housing.

Sherburne County Health & Human Services also runs EGA. The address is 13880 Business Center Dr NW, Elk River, Minnesota, 55330. Call (763) 765-4000.

The Salvation Army - The Crossing at Big Lake Station
115 Henry Rd Unit A
Big Lake, Minnesota, 55309
Phone number - (612) 223-6911
Emergency aid, transitional housing, shelter, and money for back rent is offered. A focus is on seniors, families with children, and the disabled.

Tri-CAP, Inc.
1210 23rd Ave S
Waite Park, MN, 56387
Telephone - (320) 251-1612
Stearns County residents in shelters can get help to re-enter housing and become stabilized, so there is money for rental or utility deposits. Legal aid and loans can also help with rent to stop an eviction from occurring.

Catholic Charities of the Diocese of St. Cloud
374 4th Ave S
St. Cloud, Minnesota, 56301
Call (320) 240-8204
A focus is on housing and rent programs for children and single parents. There is also job placement and other social services.




Community Aid Elk River, or CAER
Location - 19279 Watson St NW
Elk River, Minnesota, 55330
Hotline - (763) 441-1020
The non-profit supports Sherburne County low income families that are out of options. Emergency funds for heating costs, rent, transportation, and housing needs are a focus.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site