latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Lassen, Plumas, and Sierra County assistance programs.

Financial assistance, referrals, and support

The Lassen-Plumas-Sierra Community Action Agency runs or refers people to assistance programs for energy bills, weatherization, housing, and other aid. A sampling of some of their resources are below.

Get information on and referrals to the PG&E CARE program, which is known as Electric Rate Reduction. Pacific Gas and Electric households who qualify may be able to receive up to a 20% reduction in their electric rate.

Weatherization Services are offered for eligible households, whether you rent or own. Qualified individuals can receive energy efficiency and conservation improvements. All installations are offered for free, and include updates such as storm windows, weather-stripping, insulation, water heater blankets, compact fluorescent light bulbs, minor repairs, and other energy-related home updates.

The Plumas-Sierra Rural Electric Cooperative Winter Rate Assistance Program (WRAP) is a savings program for income to income-qualifying members. The reduction in bills and savings are offered during the winter heating season, and generally from November to April of each year. Dial (530) 832-4261 ext. 6037.

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is the California version of the federal government funded energy assistance program known as LIHEAP. Eligible low income households can receive a cash grant payment for paying for expenses such as fuel oil, wood, propane, or other electricity bills and expenses. All money is paid directly to the utility company or vendor. A crisis component can help people who are faced with a disconnection. Dial 530 256 3531.

Rental assistance is provided from the Housing Choice Voucher Program. This is also known as Section 8 program, and is offered in Plumas, Lassen, and Sierra Counties California. Eligible very low income and/or senior households can receive a housing assistance payment, which will serve as a partial rent payment. Funds are made directly to a landlord for a privately selected and leased rental unit. Any funds paid out will only cover a partial rent payment.




Call or stop by Lassen-Plumas-Sierra Community Action Agency, Quincy, California 95971, Telephone :(530) 283-2466 for information on those services, and more.

Homeless services – These non-profits can help people on the verge or who are currently homeless. Advice, case management, and support is provided.

  • Lassen Family Services, 1306 Riverside Drive, Susanville, California 96130, Offers Emergency Shelter and Transitional Housing. Call 530-257-5459
  • Crossroads Ministries, 2410 Main Street, Susanville, CA 96130

Food, energy or rent assistance – In addition to information on programs such as HEAP, weatherization, and other utility bill assistance, these non-profits may have details on rental assistance. Call one or more of the following, or find more on electric bill help.

Plumas County Community Development Commission and Housing Authority, Quincy, CA 95971, call (530) 283-2466, may be able to assist low income residents with paying for and meeting their housing needs.

The Salvation Army in Greenville California operates out of First Baptist Church. The non-profit is involved in providing emergency food and transportation to the needy.  Hours are Monday through Sunday, 8am to 5pm.  Dial 530-284-7714

Indian Valley Food Pantry - Emergency Food Vouchers are available at the pantry. Also provides Late Rent and security Deposit Assistance, Emergency Food and Commodities Vouchers, resume building and job search, budgeting, and meals. They are open limited hours. Commodity food items and groceries are available the 4th Thursday of the month at the Pantry. Phone number is 530-284-6353. Location of pantry/center 222 Mill Street, Greenville, California 95947

Lassen County Council on Aging – Provides food, information on medical bill assistance, transportation and more to senior citizens and the elderly. Location is 1700 Sunkist Drive, Susanville, CA 96130, call 530-257-4884. Get more details on California Agency on Aging programs and centers.

Eastern Plumas Community Assistance Network is based out of 120 Nevada Street in Portola. Among other services, emergency food vouchers and groceries are available. Referrals for food vouchers are available at the Portola Family Resource Center as well as PCIRC. Click here for more information on food pantries in California.

Western Sierra Medical/Dental Clinic – May offer some medical or health care services for people with no insurance. PO Box 286, Downieville, California 95936. Phone 530-289-3298




By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site