Salvation Army assistance programs in Sarpy County.
The Family Store and Donation center from the Salvation Army in Sarpy County is the main center to drop in at. This site will sell low cost goods and allow people to drop off items for donations. While there there donors or shoppers may also be given information as well as referrals to regional Social Services. As many of the Salvation Army centers in the region partner together on the HOME rent assistance program, Cruising Meals for kids, food programs, and much more.
The Family Store is located in Bellevue. It collects every from appliances, clothing, Furniture, still working automobiles, men's work attire, household goods, toys for birthday or Christmas, and much more. The items need to be “reusable” and in working condition.
What will happen is the Salvation Army will collect these items from donors, repackaged them, and sell them to the general public. The funds are used to support assistance programs ranging from the Adult Rehabilitation Center to scattered site transitional housing and others. The funds also keep the charity's own lights on at the Family Store and allow the charity to keep operating.
Note that direct financial help is not available from the Sarpy County Salvation Army. What may be provided is linkage to the other neighboring programs. As there are several in the city of Omaha and nearby counties that can extend their range into this area. However the lack of direct resources will make the likelihood of receiving assistance more challenging.
The primary program for help (other than housing) is known as Material Assistance and Seasonal Services. This is what is used to keep people fed, provide free clothing, and take care of emergency medical needs in the form of financial aid for prescription medications. As the name implies, some of this assistance is “Seasonal”, including free box fans during the summer or Christmas toys. Another seasonal service will be the Salvation Army of Sarpy County providing school supplies to students.
Residents that are looking for advice/referrals can of course use the Family Store indicated above. Or they can try the OAS site, which is a regional community service center. It can loan out some medical supplies (wheelchairs or crutches) and also allows the free use of a computer. Using that computer families or struggling individuals can find other nearby resources for their needs.
Subsidized rental assistance for the disabled is part of the statewide HOME program. Salvation Army case workers can help a family apply for this service. All applicants from the region need to be homeless and disabled. When qualified there can be financial aid to pay recurring rent, if the client also pays 30% of their income towards their housing. The apartment needs to be approved, affordable, and meet other criteria.
HOME also provides additional support to clients. The Salvation Army in Sarpy and partners offer individualized service planning, free budgeting classes and money management workshops, and there is also debt counseling given. This help the disabled client gain new skills.
Many other services are available from referrals.
- -Sarpy County residents with behavioral issue can apply to Intensive Community Services. This 90 days Salvation Army services will help stabilize them.
- -Emergency Disaster Service provides meals from a canteen, clothing vouchers, and shelter to individuals that have been impacted by a disaster.
- -Transitional, or scattered site housing, stresses permanent housing placement as well as long term stability.
- -Kids can get free groceries and meals from the Kids Crusing Kitchen.
- -Salvation Army in Sarpy County Adult Rehabilitation Centers helps men reenter society, battle addiction, and gain employment.
- -Character Building programs help children in Sarpy County grow, learn, and become successful.
- -Boys from 1st to 5th grade can join a “Explorers” group for support.
- -Salvation Army pre-K programs help boys and girls of low income parents. Mental, spiritual, physical, and social development takes place.
Salvation Army Family Store and Donation Center is at 1502 Harlan Dr, Bellevue, NE 68005 in Sarpy County. For information, dial (402) 293-9800.