latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rent help in Sacramento County.

Get help with rent in Sacramento County. Find information on government programs, not for profits, and other agencies that all administer rental assistance to low income and others who need help. Resources are limited and priority is generally for those with an eviction notice. Even with that being the case, each year thousands of local individuals receive various forms of rental assistance.

The organizations listed below all focus on offering Sacramento California residents with financial assistance for paying housing costs, rent, and security deposits. In addition, receive landlord/tenant mediation services, counseling, and access to eviction prevention resources. Many programs focus on those who are on the verge of homelessness.

The Department of Housing will provide housing assistance from a program known as Emergency Solution Grant in Sacramento. This is an annual program with limited funding, and it can help by offering funds for paying rent to prevent evictions and coordinate rapid rehousing services. Other support can be transitional housing, case management, and other source of financial aid for rental expenses. Call 1-800-500-4931 for referrals and to learn if ESG has any funding left.

Folsom Cordova Community Partnership
Need to call and leave a message requesting rent help. Can only call on Mondays. Dial (916) 361-8684 x5 Monday only 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m
Only if funds or money that can be used for a loan are available from the agency will your phone call be returned. No one will call you back if there are no funds. Feel free to call each Monday.

The Salvation Army Sacramento Family Services - Need to call in advance for help, and will need to call Monday only 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. for general housing or rental assistance. Calls are only accepted on Mondays. If the non-profit can help, you will then be scheduled for an appointment to meet with a case worker to review your rent assistance application.

All qualifications need to be met before any type of financial aid is disbursed. Dial the Sacramento Salvation Army at (916) 678-4050. Another location is 213 Orange Grove Avenue in North Highlands, and this Salvation Army phone number for information on rent or housing is (916)678-4010.




Safety-Net Services is another Sacramento California non-profit. Call for rental assistance. In addition, you will need to bring a copy of a 3 day eviction notice.

Greater Sacramento Urban League, located at 3725 Marysville Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95838, and which can be reached at (916) 286-8607, has limited funds too. The non-profit offers counseling, referrals, and other aid, including emergency assistance for paying rent and meeting housing needs. All rent help is provided on a first come first serve bases. Also access job counseling, career advice, and other financial support. You need to make an appointment. More on the Urban League in Sacramento.

The Gathering Inn - A number of churches and faith based groups make up this organization. Assistance is only for people that are in their shelter. In limited cases, funds can help them pay rent and housing as part of Rapid Rehousing. Call 916-791-9355.

The hearing impaired can get information/referrals to rent assistance too.  A number of churches, government agencies and faith based groups make up this service. Callers can learn about emergency rental and utility bill assistance in the form of eviction prevention services. Also get referral and information on other housing programs and shelter or low interest loans for back rent expenses. The charity also runs rehousing, which can provide grants for paying the security deposit on a new low income apartment in Sacramento. The heating impaired can dial Call 7-1-1 and ask for the United Way referral service.





Legal Services of Northern California offers a number of free advice sessions, including for housing disputes and general eviction assistance in Sacramento. Lawyers offer free information to seniors, tenants that are behind on their rent, and address unsafe living conditions from landlords. Call 916-551-2140.

Travelers Aid Society. This agency sometimes has a very limited amount of cash grants or funds to pass out at the beginning of each month to help with rental assistance and low income housing needs. The Travelers Aid Society of Sacramento is known to be fair in their screening process although it may help if you have a Pastor or caseworker to advocate for you for help. Call (916) 399-9646

St. Joseph's Catholic Church, address of 1717 El Monte Avenue, Sacramento, CA and which can be called at (916) 925-3584, provides rental and housing assistance from very limited funds. If you think you need help, come early as the money is usually dispersed within the first few days of the month. Be sure all your paperwork and applications are in order. If they can’t assist you, the charity may have referrals to other churches in the county that may have rental funds.

Programs to prevent an eviction are available. The support provided to tenants may be money for paying rental arrears or energy costs, case management, legal aid, motel vouchers and more. The federal government funds many of the non-profits that administer these programs for dealing with unpaid rent. More on Sacramento eviction help.

Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (phone 916-444-9210) coordinates various government, including California and federal, housing assistance programs.

Community Link offers referrals to Emergency Food and Shelter, which is a federal government funded rent, housing, and deposit program available in Sacramento. Cash grants can be used to stop homelessness, and therefore a leading cause of that is evictions and utility disconnections. Ca  916-498-1000 for referrals to rent, shelter, and local housing programs.

Homeless assistance and Continuum of care - Various non-profits in the county partner together to stop homelessness in Sacramento and rehouse residents. A focus is on veterans, the elderly, families or single parents with children and people who are otherwise self-sufficient. Get information on government grants for rent, transitional housing, and other solutions. 1-800-500-4931.

Sacramento California South County Services (phone number (209) 745-5367) may also have rent assistance programs, grants, and referrals available to the low income. The center has information on government housing too, including section 8 vouchers.





River City Community Services - Aid is offered, including emergency food, housing and rent assistance. Any support provided is in the form of short term crisis assistance. All resources are intended to help people become self reliant. So while the agency may be able to help with a partial rent or deposit payment, self-sufficiency services are also available and required. Phone (916) 446-2627


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site