Waukesha County public assistance.

Public aid is available and is intended to help Waukesha County residents meet their basic needs. While some of the assistance is offered directly by the county, other resources are offered in partnership with non-profits such as the Moraine Lakes Consortium.

Vouchers for buying groceries may be provided by FoodShare. This is the state's and counties version of food stamps and is offered for families with minor children and adults that are unable to work. FoodShare can help low-income individuals and families in Waukesha County Wisconsin buy the healthy groceries and food they need for sustenance. Anyone who is interested in learning more or applying needs to do so directly at the county social service office. This can be done online, in person, or over the phone. In most cases an interview is needed as well as various forms of proof as well. Or dial 1-800-362-3002.

Financial assistance using public funds include FoodShare (see above), Child Care subsidies, Medical Assistance/BadgerCare and more. These are usually administered in partnership with the Moraine Lakes Consortium, which provides support to income qualified families in Waukesha.

Case managers will review your financial situation. They will determine your eligibility for any form of government aid. Any financial assistance provided is intended to help residents meet their basic living and health care needs. As with any public resource, each and every program will have income and asset limits in place, all of which can vary based on income levels and family size. 1-888-446-1239.

The Workforce Development Center can help the unemployed or people underemployed gain new skills, education, and ideally employment. Staff offer the needy a number of services to help people increase their income and gain self-sufficiency. Address is 892 Main Street, Pewaukee, WI 53072. Call 1-888-446-1239.

Wisconsin Shares is the state's Child Care Subsidy Program. This may be able to help working parents in Waukesha County. If the parent is found to be eligible for government subsidized and aid, child care expenses can be paid for children under the age of 19.

There are application criteria. A foster parent, parent, relative, or person acting in place of a parent must be in an unsubsidized work position, be attending high-school, participate in W-2 employment program, or they will need to be participating in some form of employment skills training. Income levels are in place too.




Medical Assistance may be provided by the state and federal government for adults with no minor children in their care. Another option in the county is the Wisconsin’s ForwardHealth Medicaid plans. This assistance is for the blind, Elderly, or Disabled. It can help meet basic medical needs. Applicants need to be age 65 or older, blind or disabled, have a family income at or below the monthly program limit, and be immigrants or United States citizens.

There are a few versions of the Wisconsin Medicaid plan. The Community Waivers help Waukesha County residents that are elderly, blind or disabled. This aid is intended to help them live in their own homes or in the community rather than a nursing home or state institution. The Elderly, Blind or Disabled Medicaid is a program for individuals who are age 65 or older, blind or disabled. Another option for public assistance is Family Care which is a long term care program for groups who are elderly, people with developmental or physical disabilities.

The county also processes applications for the main federal government utility program, which is Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program or LIHEAP. This provides financial assistance and cash grants to meet home heating costs for individuals and families. The office for Energy Services is at 217 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 401, Waukesha, WI 53186. Call (262) 549-9666.

For more information on any of these programs, call Workforce Development Center (1-888-446-1239) or the Human Services Center. This site is at 514 Riverview Avenue, Waukesha, Wisconsin 53188. Phone number is 1-888-446-1239.



By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy