Ottawa County rental assistance programs.

Both referrals and financial aid can provide help for paying rent in Ottawa County. Residents that are behind on their payments, or that are close to an eviction, are some of the primary beneficiaries of these programs.

Not only may assistance be available for paying a portion of a rent payment that is due, but the agencies will often provide other support services as well. This will mainly be in the form of referrals to transitional housing or shelters. Then, once stability has been achieved, the client may be able to receive a referral to other agencies that assist with security deposits on a new home or that can help with first or last month's rent.

Some of the primary Ottawa Michigan agencies to contact are below. Note that some have restrictions on who can be assisted. As an example, there are rental programs for single parents or veterans, and others will require the tenant to have some form of income.

Coopersville Cares
Main address is 180 North 68th Avenue
Coopersville, Michigan 49404
(616) 997-8602
When possible, grants for a portion of back rent may be provided at most once per year.




Love INC of Allendale runs a clearinghouse service. So this means they will provide referrals to other charities or churches in their network that offer one time, emergency rent or mortgage help. The faith based charity can be called at (616) 895-5683.

DHS of Ottawa County offers grants using state of Michigan and federal government funds. Everything from rent to moving costs or a security deposit will be paid. They also help people find a job or apply for long term support such as section 8 vouchers. The office is at 12185 James Street in Holland, or call (616) 394-7200. It is part of public assistance in Michigan.





Good Samaritan Ministries
513 East Eighth Street Suite 25
Holland, MI 49423
This is not an emergency program. They help the homeless stabilize. Then, low income apartments are located in Ottawa County and the staff can help clients locate long term rent subsidies or money for the up front costs.

Salvation Army
(616) 842-3380
Programs range from limited financial aid or loans to shelter and rent help. The case management process will help with stability as well. More on Salvation Army assistance programs in Ottawa County.

The People Center
Address is 307 East Exchange
Spring Lake, MI 49456
(616) 844-6710
Families facing eviction can apply for one of their 6 low income apartments.

Holland Rescue Mission - Men's Ministries Center
Main address is 166 South River Avenue
Holland, Michigan 49423
Telephone - (616) 396-2200

Community Action House
345 W 14th St
Holland, MI, 49423
Call (616) 392-2368
A partnership includes counseling, guidance, and support. Referrals can be provided to everything from advice to short term housing and one time rent or energy bill assistance, which may be available in Ottawa County.

Legal Aid of Grand Haven and Western Michigan
Attorneys address - 25 Division Ave S Suite 300,
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49503
Phone: (616) 774-0672
This pro-bono firm supports Ottawa County too. Free legal assistance, eviction defense, and other housing services are administered. They help low income tenants and those who are behind on their rent.

City Of Holland, which can be called at (616) 355-1330, as well as the Ottawa County Legal Services (phone (888) 786-230) offer tenant and landlord services. Free advice from attorneys will try to stop an eviction, and they can mediate a solution such as a payment plan for past due rent.




Emergency Solution Grants of Ottawa, which can be called at 1-877-211-5253, or sometimes offered. Non-profits will accept applications if they have funding. The money can be used for rent to prevent homelessness, mortgage payments, and more. This is also combined with budgeting classes.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy