latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Oregon child care assistance programs.

Child care assistance is provided in Oregon from government funded programs such as ERDC (Employment Related Day Care) as well as the JOBS and TANF child care programs. Each one of these resources has its own terms and conditions that need to be met, but in general assistance is offered for low income families that are working, in school, or job training. The number to call for information is 1-800-342-6712.

The Employment Related Day Care program can help pay your bills so the parents can stay employed and additional benefits include the child can be well cared-for in stable child care arrangements. The state will also help families locate quality and affordable day and child care providers. This service is really for people who are working and earn below a certain income level. Oregon DHS, using federal government grants and funds, will subsidize a higher rate for children with special needs.

A co-payment will almost always be required. Qualified low income families in the ERDC program will need to pay a part of their child care expense on their own, without using government funds. The amount of the copay that needs to be paid by the parent is based on factors such as your family size and income levels. The state and/or your provider you select to care for your children will notify you of what that amount is. The family will be responsible for paying that amount to the provider on their own.

Also, some families may use multiple day care providers. While this is not common, it is an option if your circumstances require it. If this is you, then you will need to select a primary provider and pay the co-payment to that company or person. Be sure to ask for a receipt when you pay your monthly bill. The reason being is that the family is responsible for this, and if you don’t take care of this obligation the state of Oregon may disqualify you. So you want to have proof of payment.

Low income families that receive federal government cash assistance may qualify for the Oregon TANF child care assistance programs. DHS will contribute to a portion of your costs so that the individual can continue to work.




While most of the different state programs will require the parent to still contribute to the expense, the TANF component is generally more flexible. It my eliminate that co-payment that is usually due. However, if the parent selects a provider who charges more than the Oregon maximum contribution limit then the parent may still need to pay. So just select a lower cost provider. Also keep in mind that parents will also need to any pay late fees and any other special charges that are charged by the provider. So be mindful of any extra expenses.

The third main resource is JOBS Child Care. Applicants need to be both on TANF and who are enrolled into JOBS self-sufficiency activities. A portion of your expenses will be reimbursed by the state. If you need child care help in order to participate in the Oregon JOBS program, ask your case manager or social worker so that they can help you apply.

Parents can be reimbursed by the state even while they work part-time. This is one of the many benefits that are offered. You can talk to your case worker about finding and registering for quality child care. If there are no providers in your town or city then other options can be explored. Your case worker will help you navigate the system and review options with you.

Not matter which Oregon component you are enrolled into, the family will be required to report any changes in their residence, income, or household size to your social worker. This is another requirement set by the government in order to continue to receive a subsidy from the state. Your benefits may be stopped if you fail to do this. So be sure to follow all of the rules and regulations that are in place.




By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page