Get rental assistance in Ontario, Wayne and Seneca County.
The counties of Wayne, Ontario and Seneca have several places to turn to for rent or security deposit help. There are regional churches, Salvation Army centers, charities, and the government that provide housing assistance in the form of rental assistance, section 8 HUD vouchers, moving or deposit help and more. Tenants, the working poor, seniors, single moms and others are the main recipients of the grants or loans.
The housing assistance comes in many forms. There may be the following;
-Emergency rent or even utility bill assistance to stop evictions, if the tenants has a pay or quit or eviction notice from their landlord.
-Rapid rehousing, which includes security deposit help, free motel vouchers, storage cost assistance, furniture, and more.
-Income and rent subsidized housing in Ontario, Wayne, or Seneca County from section 8 housing choice vouchers.
Other support may be offered too. Almost all forms of financial aid for bills, rent, a mortgage or any payment is limited. Most of the charities, as well as government offices that issue TANF, will require work requirements as well.
Main address is 4075 Ridge Road
Williamson, New York
Emergency financial aid, including for rent or shelter, is only for seasonal farmworkers, immigrants or migrants. They can help those individuals find a pay for a home or apartment, including utility or rental deposits. Call (315) 483-9151.
Department of Social Services
Low income, seniors, disabled, or Ontario County families living in poverty can apply for government aid. This may be cash assistance to pay rent or buy food, emergency housing, help for teenagers or women fleeing violence, and other government grants.
- DSS of Ontario County Department of Social Services, 3010 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua, New York, Telephone - (585) 396-4060
- Seneca County Division of Human Services, 1 Dipronio Drive, Waterloo, NY, dial (315) 539-1800
- Wayne County Department of Social Services is at 77 Water Street, Lyons, NY, call 315-946-4881
Regional Salvation Army Family Services
There are multiple offices in the region. Tenants behind on their rent or utility bills, with an eviction or disconnect notice or not, can apply for emergency funds. There is money for rent, medications, water or electric bills, shelter, and more.
- Funds for rent, homeless shelters, Family stores and more at 41 North Street, Geneva, New York. Call (315) 789-1055
- 2109 US-20, Seneca Falls, New York 13148, dial (315) 568-5682
- Another location is at 235 Murray St, Newark, NY 14513. Telephone is (315) 331-3821
- Read more on Salvation Army housing assistance in Ontario and Wayne County.
Catholic Charities of the Finger Lakes is a partnership of churches in Ontario, Wayne and Seneca County. They support all area. There is help for single mothers, such as formula or housing. Emergency rental assistance is offered along with grants for energy bills, household supplies, or security deposit help. A big focus is on the vulnerable as well as immigrants. There is also La Casa Residence. More on Catholic Charities Finger Lakes area assistance programs.
Wayne County Rural Ministry
4170 Main Street
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is an income based rent subsidized apartment or home. Government entities offer vouchers to help pay for a portion of housing costs, including mortgages, rents, utilities, and more. Very low income families as well as those in or near poverty can get help. They also help people find permanent, affordable housing.
- Geneva Housing Authority, 41 Lewis Street, Geneva, NY, dial (315) 789-8010
- Newark Housing Authority, 200 Driving Park Circle, Newark, NY, phone (315) 331-1574
- Community Action in Self Help runs the service for Lyons NY. They partner with NYS Homes and Community Renewal (NYSHCR). 48 Water Street, Lyons, NY. Phone (315) 946-6992.
Family Promise of Ontario County
Non-profit address is 185 N Main Street
Canandaigua, New York
Assistance programs include a day center, homeless shelter, case work (including information on loans for bills or rent, employment, computers, etc.), transportation and more. A focus is on the homeless.
Wayne County Action Program, Inc.
Address is 6264 Buerman Road
Homeless veterans and the working poor can get assistance. ESG grants for rental arrears, job search, housing placement, and other support.
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc
Location is 361 S Main St.
Geneva, New York 14456
Main phone number - (315) 781-1465
The pro-bono law firms helps tenants, seniors, and the poor through homeless prevention. Lawyers will represent families for free in housing or eviction court, offer foreclosure help, information on getting rent or security deposits back, and support for debt or benefit issues too.