Housing assistance for people with medical conditions in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma agencies can provide qualified low income residents with rental and housing assistance programs. Two of the main resources offered include the Discharge Planning Subsidy Program as well as the Transition Youth Subsidy Program. Both are focused on helping people with mental illnesses find and retain housing, pay for deposits, and offer other aid to qualified individuals.

The Transition Youth Subsidy Program can provide housing and rent assistance to individuals with substance abuse disorders or mental illness. Currently there are different components to it, and help is available for applicants who are between the ages of 17 and 24 and who are also enrolled in an ODMHSAS designated Transition Project.

When enrolled in this program, clients will be in a better place to afford safe, affordable and decent housing. To facilitate access to such low income housing opportunities, the program provides funds and grants which are used to provide time-limited financial assistance to income eligible applicants and people with mental illness.

Qualified individuals may be able to get help with paying for housing costs such as utilities, electric bills, rent, utility deposits as well as security deposits. The exact amount and type of financial assistance provided will be determined and based on a few different factors, which includes the households total income level and of course it is also based on their identified need. All assistance, grants, and referrals are coordinated through the following government non-profit agency, which is HOPE Community Services. Call them at (405) 634-4400

On the other hand, individuals who are 18 or older, who have a medical condition, and who meet the qualifications below may be able to get rental or low income housing assistance from the Oklahoma Discharge Planning Subsidy Program. The resource provides funds and cash grants that can be used to assist very low-income individuals with housing needs, including accessing affordable apartments and other accommodations.

This aid is targeted at people who are age 18 and older. Other qualifications that need to be met are the applicants need to have a mental illness or co-occurring mental illness. Rent help and assistance in finding housing can also be offered for people with substance abuse disorders who are discharging from Department of Corrections, psychiatric inpatient care centers or hospitals, or for people who are aging out of the foster care system.





Case managers and counselors from the Discharge Planning Subsidy Program can help applicants with both maintaining and accessing safe, sanitary, affordable, and decent housing and apartments. So any type of support from the state is combined with intensive case management.

To help facilitate access to such low income housing options, funds from the program can be used to provide time-limited financial assistance to qualified applicants. So the program is not a charity program and will not pay for expenses indefinitely.

Emergency funds can be used to pay a wide range of housing costs such as electric bills, rent, security rent deposits and utility deposits. Similar to most resources offered by any government organization or non-profit, the amount, nature and type of assistance is determined based several factors. These include the customer’s specific housing need as well as their total individual income level. In order to be able to apply for housing assistance from the Discharge Planning Subsidy Program, applicants need to get a referral for this assistance prior to discharge from the facility, hospital, or center they were at. HOPE Community Services (phone (405) 634-4400) coordinates the rent and housing assistance.




By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy