Assistance programs in Newport County.
To get information on various programs that can help you pay bills, that provide programs such as rental assistance, free food, or foreclosure counseling, call the East Bay Community Action Program. In certain cases they may run the program themselves, or be able to refer you to where to go to for help and maybe even help you apply. The resources and services offered include.
- Energy and heating bills - The government funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) was created to help low to moderate income households, the elderly, and disabled pay their home energy bills. Grants can pay both the winter heating as well as summer cooling bills and expenses. Any cash that is made from the LIHEAP program will be made directly to vendors or your utility company who will then go ahead and credit the client's utility account for the amount specified. Eligible clients of the LIHEAP program may also be able to qualify for a reduced electric rate going forward, so they can also save money. In addition, Newport residents can even get a discount on the client's monthly telephone bill.
- Weatherization Assistance Program can help conserve energy. This is a energy efficiency program that was primarily designed to reduce the amount of money that clients need to pay on their monthly heating and energy bills, and also reduce the amount of heating fuel that is consumed by the household. On average a 20-40% savings in home heating fuel and utility bills is realized by the client after the home or apartment has been weatherized.
- National Grid and the Newport Rhode Island East Bay Community Action Program run the Appliance Management Program (AMP). It offers an energy audit as well as gives the applicant education on electric conservation techniques and best practices, and these are offered to the client along with timers, compact fluorescent light bulbs, refrigerator brushes, faucet aerators and sometimes a new refrigerator and/or freezer is called for as well if the current unit needs repairs.
- Rent Payment Assistance - While not one of the primary services offered, qualified individuals can get eviction prevention funding and financial assistance.
- Other programs and services provided include Head Start, WIC, Food Stamps, and a wide variety of senior programs.
Dental and medical care in Newport Rhode Island
EBCAP Dental Center - The dental clinic offers comprehensive free or low cost dental care as well as emergency care for local residents. The following resources and services are provided, such as dental fillings, crowns, extractions, root canals, teeth whitening and cleanings of your teeth. (401) 845-0564
There are two primary Community Health Centers in the Newport area that provide affordable health and medical care to Newport County patients and residents. Services offered by these clinics include immunizations, family medicine, pregnancy testing, medical care for acute illness, health screenings, medications, and general community education and referrals. Jean Hicks Health Center ((401) 848-2160) and East Bay Family Health Center ((401) 437-1008)
Newport Salvation Army
They run a large number of social service programs and also serve as a Christian services ministry for the local community. A sampling of the services and financial aid offered includes Utility Bill Payment Assistance, Christmas Meals and Holiday Programs, Food Pantry, Clothing, and Child Care are offered.
Vouchers may also be issued by the Salvation Army for clothing and/or heating fuel. They also help children by coordinating back to school events as well as Christmas gift giving. Mentoring is also arranged as well as counseling. Call (401) 846-3234, or more on the Salvation Army in Newport County.
Saint John Church (phone (401) 848-2561) - May be able to offer emergency food and a soup kitchen.
Saint Peter Lutheran Church - Occasional Emergency Food Assistance and Information on local charities as well as government programs are offered.
United Baptist Church ((401) 847-3210) - Cal them to apply for clothing, food, meals, and other aid.