latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


New York City housing programs.

Whether you are facing eviction or need to find affordable housing in New York City, several non-profit agencies and government organizations offer resources. They address a wide number of matters, including families that are behind on their rent, legal advice or administer assistance for the currently homeless. Some of the leading agencies and non-profits to call for help in the city are below.

The New York City Department of Homeless Services created a special department known as the Veteran Service Unit. This is for individuals that are at-risk of homelessness. Or any former military members, their family members or their spouses that are currently homeless can receive help as well. A number of resources and services are administered for veterans.

Meet with a specialist from the city and explore all of the State, City and federal entitlement programs. This includes housing assistance, medical care, and public benefits. One of the main resources available is the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) program. This provides qualified applicants with rental assistance vouchers and subsidies. The client will also be partnered with VA case managers.

If you need to find a new home or apartment to live in, then the unit may be able to provide referrals to transitional housing or low income public or private housing. Examples of the facilities include the Borden Avenue Veterans Residence as well as the Porter Avenue site. The later is an employment-focused housing facility. Other assistance is offered at both the local and federal government levels, and the New York City Veteran Service Unit is one of the leading organizations to call. Dial (212) 361-8000.

Henry Street Settlement serves the lower east side region of Manhattan. The non-profit operates a few shelters for both families and single women. Individuals who stay at the facilities will receive various other social services.

They include help with finding a job and gaining skills, case management, and other longer term housing assistance. Other programs offered include education and employment services, day and after school care, workforce development and computer training; as well as mental and primary health care services. Staff and volunteers from Henry Street Settlement will assist families with transitioning into permanent apartments and housing units. The main office is at 334 Madison St  New York, NY 10002, phone (212) 349-2770.




An organization known as Win is focused on helping break the homeless cycle. During the short term, Win will provide temporary, emergency shelter to low income individuals and families with children experiencing homelessness. The center operates family supportive housing units sponsored by federal and New York state agencies. Examples of other shelters and housing units include the Win Family Residence at Junius, which is located in the neighborhood of Brooklyn as well as Family Residence at Liberty.

Several homelessness and eviction prevention programs are offered in partnership with DHS. One of the main ones is known as Housing Help Program, which is a government funded anti-eviction/rental assistance program focused on the Bronx.

Caseworkers from the non-profit will assist clients with addressing the challenges and barriers to locating longer term housing. This includes help with finding employment and other self-sufficiency services.

Staff coordinate a variety of educational, employment-based and even health-related workshops and programs to improve the lives of clients. Many are held with partners such as the Robin Hood Foundation, the United Way of New York City, and Kingsborough Community College.

Goddard Riverside Community Center address housing and other basic needs, such as food, education, and short term shelter. They are one of the city’s leading human service organizations for the less fortunate, regardless of their age, religion, or other personal circumstances. Many programs are focused on youth and families; homeless individuals; children; seniors; and people with mental illness. Those facing eviction and tenants behind on their rent can get advocacy or low cost legal assistance. The non-profit Goddard Riverside also affordable housing units and apartments.

Working closely with the Department of Homeless Services, a number of housing placement services and outreach is provided by Goddard Riverside Community Center. They also work closely with other groups such as Center for Urban Community Services as well as Urban Pathways. Together these various groups help place individuals and families into transitional and safe, yet affordable permanent housing.

Other resources include Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) Team, which is a mobile clinic that supports people with severe and persistent mental illness, The Other Place, which a psychosocial day program that teaches social skills, and TOP Opportunities, which is a New York City employment training and placement program for positions. 593 Columbus Ave, New York, dial (212) 873-6600.

The citywide Homeless Prevention Fund offers emergency financial assistance for rent to those that are at imminent risk of homelessness and have no other options or resources available to them. It is only offered to low income families who can get back on track with paying their housing costs on their own in the future. Call any one of these agencies. Coalition for the Homeless (212) 776-2044, The Bridge Fund (212) 674-0812 or the Community Service Society (212) 614-5375.





BronxWorks offers several social services to the community. Examples include rental assistance, eviction prevention, programs for the seniors and currently homeless, as well as workforce development. The non-profit is well-versed in the field of homeless and eviction prevention services and they offer resources to tackle these pressing issues.

Over its many years of operation, the non-profit BronxWorks provides tools to the low income, unemployed, and struggling in the region. Resources can be used to overcome an array of income and housing issues. Another program they administer is Homebase, which is the city’s main homelessness prevention program. Case managers from BronxWorks try to help individuals and families avoid needing to move into a shelter. The goal is to keep them housed in the community whenever possible.

If someone has no other option but to be evicted from their current home or apartment, the agency can also administer temporary, emergency shelter for qualified families with children who have no other options or resources available to them. Case managers work closely with each client in an effort to outline clear goals and identify a path back to mid to long term self-sufficiency. All services and confidential and individualized to your specific needs. 60 E Tremont Ave, New York, NY 10453, call (646) 393-4000.

Project Hospitality is a fully comprehensive agency that offers support services and advocacy for those in the city that are homeless, facing eviction, hungry, and otherwise in need of help. All services are offered for Staten Island residents.

Rental arrears grants may be paid out by the New York City Human Resources Administration, or HRA. Assistance may be provided to those who have been evicted but if their landlord is willing to continue renting the apartment. As funding and qualifications allow, the agency may pay back rent from a grant program. Help is even available for Public Assistance recipients. Another similar offering is the Family Eviction Prevention Services, which may offer an ongoing monthly rental supplement. Main phone number is (718) 901-0300.

The City’s Department of Homeless Services and Project Hospitality combine resources to offer emergency shelter for adults and families who are experiencing or facing homelessness. The non-profit will offer people an individualized approach and can help them transition back to long term self-sufficiency in the community. 100 Park Ave, Staten Island, phone (718) 448-1544.

Acacia Network (telephone (212) 410-7707) deals with a so called unique populations of clients, including families with children, singles, and also adult families. They manage hundreds of low income apartments and a few building across New York City.

Qualified clients may qualify for resources and immediate attention in an effort to achieve their specific housing goals. This includes employment and help with returning to self-sufficiency in the community. Individuals or families that stay at the shelters or apartments may receive vocational counseling, case management, mental health support, housing placement, health care coordination, referrals for community-based services, advocacy and education / training workshops. They also run free family health centers and community clinics in the Bronx. They can offer physical exams, dental care, wellness and other care.




Bowery Residents’ Committee offers outreach and other case management. The Department of Homeless Services in New York City and the committee support families with children and other clients. If you are behind on your rent, facing eviction, or need a place to stay, then this organization may have suggestions. Call 212-803-5700 for additional information.

Free legal advice is available to people facing eviction. All assistance offered is individualized and flexible and the programs are focused on helping families with children avoid becoming homeless. Among other things, get help in negotiations with landlords and/or other advocacy assistance, preparing and both filing of required agency and court papers, and even representation in court. Call 718-287-0010, 212-766-2450, or another number is 718-286-2450.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site