latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


New Haven County short term and transition housing.

Housing programs assist low income families and the homeless across New Haven County. Some centers are widely available while others focus on assisting veterans, single parents, seniors, or the disabled. Whether a New Haven non-profit can help you or not with your housing needs, at the minimum most of them will provide referrals or information to other area resources.

In addition to using the transitional housing site, residents can usually enroll into other assistance programs. These range widely and can include free meals, job search assistance, budgeting, and more. The overall goal is to provide shelter/housing for the family while they regain self-sufficiency. At that time they can get assistance in locating a new home in New Haven Connecticut. There may even be some government programs that can help them pay a security deposit or first months rent.

Meriden - Wallingford Chrysalis
Meriden, Connecticut 06451
Telephone - (203) 237-0454
This location assists women and children that were impacted by domestic violence. Transitional housing and other programs are offered.

New Opportunities (NOW) - Shelter
Main location is 43 Saint Casimir Drive
Meriden, CT 06450
(203) 237-4020
Emergency, short term shelter for females, women that are pregnant, and single homeless men is available. Other services administered include education, substance abuse recovery, and job search and training assistance.

Rushford Camp Street Transitional Living Program
Address: 128 Camp Street
Meriden, CT 06450
Call (877) 577-3233 for intake.
Helps clients transition from Connecticut Valley Hospital back into the local community.




Rushford Community Based Initiative (CBI) - Harbor Brooke Apartments
80 Hanover Street
Meriden, Connecticut 06451
Main number - (877) 577-3233
Low income, short term and supportive housing program. Residents need to pay a portion of their income for rent. Other services include budgeting classes, monitoring of medications, life skills sessions, and more social aid. Another location is at Harrison Place Apartments, 250 East Main Street, Meriden, CT 06450, dial (877) 577-3233.

Independence Northwest - Center For Independent Living Of NW Connecticut
Main address is 1183 New Haven Road Suite 200
Naugatuck, CT 06770-5033
Dial the center at (203) 729-3299
Transitional housing program operates in the Greater Waterbury region as well as Naugatuck Valley. Housing and support is for New Haven residents with AIDS/HIV. Other assistance includes advocacy, community education and referrals, general case management, transitional housing assistance, funds for deposits or eviction prevention,  and counseling.

Christian Community Action - New Haven, Stepping Stone Transitional Housing
660 Winchester Avenue
New Haven, Connecticut 06511
Call (203) 777-7167 for intake
A housing complex is available for families, individuals, and heads of households who are currently residing in emergency housing, facing eviction, or that are currently homeless. Self-sufficiency services, meals, and follow up is offered when the client leaves the site.

Columbus House
Main address is 586 Ella Grasso Boulevard
New Haven, Connecticut 06519
Service number is (203) 401-4400
Several different resources are available, including New Beginnings, On The Move Program, and Length Of Stay Beds (LOS). Other programs include transitional housing. Clients can also access meals and general case management type services. It is an option for people leaving a shelter.

Columbus House also runs housing for veterans. This unit can be reached at (203) 823-3116. It will offer veterans and their family members access to low income and short term housing, case management and other support. The goal of the agency is to offer stable housing for veterans and their families.





New Haven Home Recovery
Main address is 153 East Street Suite 200
New Haven, CT 06511
Call (203) 492-4866
This is an option for the homeless and recently evicted. The Homeless Families Transition Collaborative is an option for New Haven families and/or single women with children. A rental subsidy can help clients pay their rent for a period of time.

Wallingford Emergency Shelter
Location is 123 Quinnipiac Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
Dial (203) 294-0102
The Martin B. Rubin Family Center is transitional housing services offered to struggling and low income families with children.

Austin House
437 Willow Street
Waterbury, Connecticut 06710
(203) 437-7079
Both residential and a transitional living facility provides support services and housing for homeless single women and men ages 18 through 65. Residents of the housing programs must be actively seeking employment or have a full-time or part-time job. Or the resident can be enrolled in an educational program, such as GED, vocational school, or college.

Center For Human Development - Adult Mental Health
Location is 965 South Main Street Suite #1
Waterbury, CT 06706
Call (203) 596-9323
Temporary housing and basic needs for those with a mental illness.




Veterans Affairs, Errera Community Care Center
Location is 114-152 Boston Post Road
West Haven, Connecticut 06516
Main number is (203) 479-8000
Transitional housing, support services, and assistance programs for veterans.

Veterans Support Foundation
366 Union Avenue 1st Floor
West Haven, Connecticut 06516
Main phone - (860) 713-4669
Offers assistance for military members and homeless veterans who enroll into substance abuse or mental health.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site