latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Nevada disability benefit programs.

The disabled and their families in Nevada can receive assistance from government programs and non-profit organizations listed below. Several benefits are available to meet a number of needs. All services that are offered are in addition to standard local, federal, or state sponsored low income assistance programs. All resources made available were done so in an effort to ensure that individuals with a disability, their caretakers and family members get the support they need for short and long term needs.

One of the main organizations in the state is the Nevada Department of Health Aging & Disability Services. This group provides resources at the local community level which promotes life choices and equal opportunity for people and family members with disabilities. This will allow them to gain assistance to enable them to positively contribute to Nevada. Some services are below.

The organization offers advocacy and case management services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. This will help individuals by assisting them with navigating the numerous government benefits, social services, employment programs and other services. In addition, Nevada will pay for and provide them with free equipment. This is available to access Relay Service to qualifying individuals who are Hard of Hearing, Deaf or Speech Disabled. All of these services are provided by the DHHARC, or Deaf and Hard of Hearing Advocacy Resource Centers. The main phone numbers are in Northern Nevada (775-355-8994) or in Southern Nevada (702-363-3323).

Assistive Technology, Training and Assessments is another government benefit that is available to people with disabilities, families, and professionals. Among other things, it will help them learn about the assistive devices currently available in their region. It will provide them details on which are appropriate for a given situation and how they may even make a difference in a person’s activities of daily living. While the state is closely involved in distributing them, the programs are run by Easter Seals and also the University of Nevada. In Southern Nevada, call Easter Seals at (702) 870-7050 or if you live in the northern part of the state, call (775) 784-4921.

Assistive Technology for Independent Living Program is focused on helping disabled individuals to remain living in their home or community by making their vehicles or homes more accessible. Some clients of the program will need to share in the cost and help pay for these services, using a sliding fee scale. This particular assistance program is provided to qualified state residents by RAGE, Inc., (which is a disability owned nonprofit agency in southern Nevada) as well as by the Northern Nevada Center for Independent Living. RAGE can be reached at (702) 333-1038 or call CARE Chest in northern Nevada at (775) 829-2273.




Nevada Division of Welfare and Supportive Services coordinates financial aid for low income, unemployed, and struggling households, including those with a disabled member. This is the leading organization to contact for cash assistance.

Several resources and government benefits are available. These include low income energy bill assistance, or LIHEAP for  those that need help with paying utility bills or summer air conditioning costs. Nutritional needs can be met by SNAP food stamps. Temporary short term financial aid may be paid for by TANF cash assistance. Grants can be provided for basic needs such as rent or housing. Several other government benefits are administered by the Welfare and Supportive Services department. Call (800) 992-0900.

The state of Nevada Autism Treatment Assistance Program helps income qualified families of children ages 0-18. Aid can help them establish home-based therapy programs. Call (775) 687-4210 for intake.

Low interest loans for paying for assistive technology are provided by the Care Program. The state offers low interest rate financial aid for the purchase of assistive devices, such as home and/or vehicle modifications. The program takes people off of publicly funded and government benefit programs by helping them to care for themselves. It is available across the state from a partnership between Nevada State Bank as well as CARE Chest. Call (775) 829-2273.

Communication Access Programs is administered and paid for but funds from telephone bills as well as the Public Utilities Commission. It is administered through ODS.

Advocacy is also provided in Nevada. The state can assist people of all income levels with communication disabilities to access resources they need. They will get help in applying for and navigating programs like Welfare, Social Security, Vocational Rehabilitation, and education or job training. They will also be able to access interpreters, gain benefits and access other accommodations in the medical and legal systems. In Southern Nevada call (702) 363-3323 or in the northern part of the state, dial (775) 353-3599.





The Equipment Distribution Program offers accessible telecommunications equipment (like TTYs) for free to those with hearing and/or speech disabilities. This benefit and the equipment it provided are offered at no cost to those who qualify through the non-profit. Clients will be able to receive free equipment that may be needed to access the phone system through the Relay Service. Another component, called Relay Nevada, will enable people with speech and hearing disabilities to use their equipment to access the phone system. The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Advocacy Resource center oversees this. Call 775-355-8994.

The PAS, or Personal Assistance Service, will arrange for home-based care for individuals with severe disabilities. The focus is on helping those who do not qualify for other government benefits or resources, such as Medicaid or help for medical bills. Some residents will need to pay a portion of their costs.

Free medical equipment may be provided by the Recycled Equipment Program. It is for those that lack other resources and the financial means to pay for items on their own. Assistance is provided by both CARE Chest (phone (775) 829-2273) in northern Nevada and Easter Seals (dial (702) 870-7050) in southern Nevada.

Traumatic Brain Injury Rehabilitation will arrange for rehabilitation to survivors of any type of Brain Injury. They need to lack the means to pay for the medical care on their own. The assistance is coordinated from the Community College of Southern Nevada and the non-profit works in partnership with the college to offer internship opportunities and work experience for students studying physical or occupational therapy. (702) 259-1903

Prescription assistance for the disabled is offered by Nevada Disability RX. The government can help pay for the cost of any needed prescription medicines to qualified individuals or patients with disabilities. This is only for qualified low income families.

Some of the benefits of Nevada Disability RX are that patients will not need to pay a monthly premium, there are no deductibles, and there are some minimal co-payments due. There are some coverage limits in place. The government program will help pay for the monthly premiums for Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan or help after they reach the coverage limit. To learn more, or for an application, call 1-866-303-6323.

For more information on the resources above, either call the program noted or dial the Nevada Department of Health Aging and Disability Services at (775) 687-4452.

Nevada Department of Employment’s Training and Rehabilitation, Rehabilitation Division, Bureau of Services to the Blind and Visually Impaired (BSBVI) arranges a number of services to qualified individuals, including assistance such as the following.

  • Adaptive training can coordinate individualized training in home management, vocational skills, Braille, low vision aids, and communication support.
  • Independent and daily living can offer low vision aids, mobility support and individualized training in home management or daily living skills.
  • The mobility training helps disability clients learn to maneuver safely and confidently.
  • The vocational rehabilitation programs provide evaluations, assertive technology, counseling and guidance, job readiness training, learning job seeking skills, and transportation services.





A main goal of the bureau is to help individuals with vision disabilities make decisions about their future  employment through testing and evaluation that is tailored to their specific needs. The program also offers them access to training and counseling which can help them learn to maneuver safely with confidence.

BSBVI may also arrange for assistive technology tools, assistance with job seeking, help with job site modification, transition services for high school students, and also independent living program for persons over 55. For those with a disability that are unable to work, the Bureau helps them with daily living and home management skills, low vision exams, mobility training, communications skills, and aids and other services. Call the agency at (800) 633-9879Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation can help people with disabilities. Staff will help them navigate through a statewide network of benefits and offices. The state will arrange for counseling and guidance; physical and mental restoration services; transportation for a job or training; interpreter services for hard of hearing deaf clients and more.

Other benefits from the bureau include teaching services, mobility benefits for individuals who are blind, job search and placement assistance along with retention as well as supported employment. The state will also arrange for personal assistance and post-employment services. All the benefits are offered in order to help the disabled achieve an employment outcome.

The organization is a state and federal government funded program designed to help people with disabilities become employed. Or assistance can also be for those that are already employed and programs can help them perform more successfully through counseling, training and other support methods.

Vocational Rehabilitation case managers will provide an assessment to determine the individual’s current abilities and how the client might benefit from any available government or non-profit services. The disabled individuals will work with a counselor to create an employment plan that. Counselors from the state may also refer clients to other local partner agencies for resources and additional support. Vocational Rehabilitation specialists will also often collaborates with businesses to implement tools and assess job sites that will improve an employees ability to successfully perform duties. Call the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation at (775) 684-4070.

Aging and Disability Services Division (ADSD) is another leading organization. They provide a number of assistance programs and benefits to clients. Some of them are noted below.

They offer medications from Disability Rx and other services. Applications and counseling can be provided as part of the SHIP / State Health Insurance Assistance Program. Clients can also look into the Medicare counseling, Waiver for the Elderly in Adult Residential Care (WEARC), advocacy and case management services for the deaf and hard of hearing. Call (775) 687-4210.

Nevada Department of Health and Human Services may be able to assist children and youth that are under the age of 22. It will help those with an increased risk for chronic physical, developmental, behavioral, or emotional conditions. It will assist those that require health care and other services beyond those usually needed by children in the state. Toll-free hotline 1-866-254-3964







Nevada Department of Health and Human Services’ Mental Health and Developmental Services (MHDS) provides individual and family counseling, home and community based waiver, employment and vocational services, family and residential support, and social service coordination. Phone (775) 684-5943.

The Department of Health and Human Services’, Mental Health Services coordinates benefits for Nevadans with behavioral health issues. Mental health services include psychiatric emergency services, psychiatric hospitalization, outpatient services, Projects for Assistance in Transition from Homelessness (PATH) Grant, and other services. Call (702) 486-6200.

Non-profit and additional government benefits for the disabled

Autism Society of America, Northern Nevada Chapter
3490 Southampton Drive
Reno, NV 89509
Main phone - (775)-786-9315

The Blind Center of Nevada
1001 North Bruce Street
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Call (702) 642-6000

The Deaf and Hard of Hearing Advocacy Resource Center
Address is 2881 South Valley View Boulevard, Suite 13
Las Vegas, NV 89102
Call 702) 475-4751

Learning Disabilities Association of Nevada
7286 South Florentine Drive
Sparks, NV 89436
(775) 626-3631

National Multiple Sclerosis Society Nevada office
Main address - 5463 South Durango Drive, Suite D
Las Vegas, NV 89113
Call (800) 344-4867, option 2

Nevada Association of the Deaf
P.O. Box 61121
Reno, NV 89506

Nevada Department of Education
Location is 700 East Fifth Street
Carson City, NV 89701
(775) 687-9200

Department of Employment, Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation
1370 South Curry Street
Carson City, NV 89703
For information, call (775) 684-4070





Nevada Department of Health and Human Services - The main groups and benefits are noted below. This government organization operates from a few different offices.

Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities, 3656 Research Way, Suite 32, Carson City, NV 89706, Toll-free (888) 337-3839
Health Care Financing and Policy Division (Medicaid), Las Vegas Medicaid District Office, 1210 South Valley View, Suite 104, Las Vegas, NV 89102, main number is (702) 668-4200
Long Term Care Ombudsman Program, 1860 East Sahara Avenue, Las Vegas, NV 89104, (702) 486-3545
Mental Health and Developmental Services, Desert Regional Center, 1391 South Jones Boulevard, Las Vegas, NV 89146, main number is (702) 486-6200
Office of Disability Services, Aging and Disability Services, 3656 Research Way, Suite 32, Carson City, NV89706, (775) 687-4452
Office of Disability Services, Aging and Disability Services, Nevada Commission on Services for Persons with Disabilities, 3656 Research Way, Suite 32, Carson City, NV89706, call (775) 687-4452
Office of Disability Services, Traumatic Brain Injury Lead Agency, 3656 Research Way, Suite 32, Carson City, NV89706, main phone (775) 687-8916

Nevada Emergency Medical Association
Box 538
Carlin, NV 89822
Call (775) 397-1793

Nevada Paralyzed Veterans of America
Location is 704 South Jones Boulevard
Las Vegas, NV 89107
(702) 646-0040

Southern Nevada Center for Independent Living
Main address: 6039 Eldora, Suite H-8
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 889-4216

University of Nevada, Nevada Center for Excellence in Disabilities
MS 285
Reno, NV 89557
Toll-free (800) 216-7988

Washoe Arc
Location is 790 Sutro Street
Reno, NV 89512
Call (775) 333-9272

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page