latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Nebraska free fans and cooling bill assistance programs.

Nebraska can experience extreme heat, and when this occurs low income families, seniors, and others may be able to receive free fans or financial assistance for paying their cooling and air conditioning bills.

There are two main locations that people need to contact for help in Nebraska. They include programs from the Department of Health and Human Services, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program and also look into the states cooling program. Both may have limited numbers of free fans, or money to pay for cooling or air conditioning bills.

There are restrictions to who can apply for assistance. A focus is on seniors who are more susceptible to heat, people with a medical condition, and families with young children. Income restrictions and limits are also in place and will need to be met by applicants.

Fans, which will be purchased with funds from the federal government Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP, will be distributed to those who qualify for aid. The Nebraska Children and Family Service oversees this service.

To apply for a free fan, learn about other support, or to pick up a unit, call or stop by the following organizations. While these locations below are located in Central Nebraska, they will have the contact information and phone numbers of other centers in the state.

  • Albion region is covered by Boone County Health Center, 723 W. Fairview. Call (402) 395-5165
  • Broken Bow. Dial the Central Nebraska Community Services. The office is at 924 E. SE St. Phone (308) 872-6013
  • Grand Island — Salvation Army, 818 W. Third St., (308) 382-4822
  • Hastings Nebraska. For frees or financial aid, call the Salvation Army, 400 S. Burlington Ave. Main number (402) 463-0529
  • Hastings — Catholic Social Services, 325 W. Second St., (402) 463-2112
  • Kearney Salvation Army, 1719 Central Ave. Main number (308) 234-9998
  • Ord — Central Nebraska Community Services, P.O. Box 509, Loup City, (308) 745-0780
  • York Nebraska. Main address Blue Valley Community Action, 3401 N. Lincoln. Dial (402) 362-3516 for information on help for paying cooling bills and the free fan program.





While funding will vary, the state does expect hundreds of fans to be provided across the state, with priority given to those individuals and families who are most likely to be affected by the hot and humid weather. People can’t normally receive a fan in back to back years.

Additional funds also are available through the DHHS cooling program to assist low-income families and individuals with making cooling bill payments. For example, this can help pay electric bills which tend to increase during the summer. Applications for this service can be requested by dialing 1-800-383-4278. Or call your local Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services office.

In order to be eligible for these funds and cash grants, an applicant needs to be a senior citizen or have an illness. Studies show these individuals are more likely to suffer from extreme heat.

While the income restrictions will vary from year to year, in general a qualifying household’s total household income limits are as follows. A one-person household has to have an income of under $13,000, two-person household income limit is $17,000, and the limits will increase from that amount going forward. So the more family members you have the higher the income restrictions.





By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page