latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental or housing assistance in Roanoke and Montgomery County.

Get help with paying rent from churches, charities, and the government in the Roanoke as well as Montgomery County Virginia region. A number of agencies provide either long term (section 8 housing) or short term, emergency rental or security deposit assistance. There are also homeless shelters, transitional housing programs, and even free legal aid to stop homelessness.

The type of financial aid will vary. Montgomery County and Roanoke can find help from income based housing programs or apply for grants to pay back rent or utility bills. Some charities may issue loans for paying housing costs, including rent or a mortgage. Or case workers assist tenants who face illegal evictions or those who are homeless or would be renters that are facing housing discrimination.

Roanoke Area Ministries can provide emergency rent help to tenants with an eviction or 5 day pay or quit notice. The charity only help residents of Southwest or Northwest Roanoke City. There may also be funds for utility bills or other housing costs. Call 540-981-1732 to apply. Or the office is at 824 Campbell Avenue Southwest, Roanoke VA, 24016.

AIDs or HIV patients only can get help from HOPWA, also known as Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS. The Council of Community Services is the non-profit. Government grants assist with mortgage payments, rent, energy costs, and other bills. The office is at 339 Salem Avenue SW Roanoke, VA 24016. There may also be medical care in addition to rent help. Call 540-266-7551 x100.

Blue Ridge Legal Services can help tenants with an eviction notice. Free legal aid, housing court representation and other help is offered. Seniors and the poor can stop in at 132 Campbell Ave, Roanoke, VA 24011. They support both Montgomery and Roanoke. Or get help in applying for government aid, such as section 8 rent help. Dial (540) 344-2080 for legal aid.

United Way of Roanoke Valley helps homeless children, students, and their parents or those in “unstable” housing such as in hotels. It can coordinate shelter, transitional housing, and rent as well as utility deposit help. Location is 325 Campbell Avenue, SW Roanoke Virginia 24016. Or call (540)853-1163 for information on Rehousing Youth for Success and Education. Find more rental assistance from United Way near you.

Saint John's Episcopal Church only pays up to $100, one time per year. The money can help with utility bills or rent to stop evictions. Apply Tuesday morning. Address is 1 Mountain Avenue Southwest Roanoke, VA 24002. Call (540)343-9341.





Presbyterian Community Center helps low income families or the working poor in southeast and northeast Roanoke City, Vinton, and eastern Roanoke County. Financial aid for bills including rent, utilities, security deposits, or even motel or hotel rooms. Address is 1228 Jamison Avenue SE Roanoke Virginia 24013. Call (540)982-2911 for details.

Low income, rent subsidized houses, homes, and apartments are offered. Section 8 from Housing Authorities can help the low income and seniors. There are two offices for housing choice vouchers. They are Roanoke Housing Authority at 2624 Salem Turnpike NW in Roanoke (phone (540) 983-9281) as well as Housing Connections for Montgomery County at 2955 Market St NE A, Christiansburg, VA 24073, call (540) 381-8101. Section 8 can help pay rent or other housing costs.

Roanoke Homeless Assistance Team helps the homeless or people close it it, whether from evictions or foreclosure. Get information on homeless shelters, government grants for rent or storage costs, motel programs and more. Get referrals from 339 Salem Ave SW, Roanoke, VA 24016, or dial (540) 853-1715.

New River Community Action provides emergency, short term financial help. Tenants, seniors, and single moms in New River Valley can apply for funds for rent, food, furniture, utilities, mortgages, and more. Call (540)382-6186. Any money or loans for rent or transient costs is very short term only. Address 110 Roanoke Street Christiansburg VA 24073.

Salvation Army has two locations. There is New River Valley Corps (80 College Street Suite M Christiansburg VA 24073, or call (540)394-1037) or 724 Dale Ave SE, Roanoke, VA 24013, dial (540) 343-5335. The faith based charity provides many assistance programs around housing. Homeless shelters, rent help, utility assistance and more. Families can also get free furniture for a home, or learn about other local rent assistance programs.

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page