Middlesex County New Jersey eviction assistance.

Hundreds of Middlesex County families have an eviction stopped each and every year. The assistance is provided mostly to low to moderate income tenants that are in a short term crisis situation, as these individuals need to have shown the previous ability to pay their rent as well as other housing costs (such as energy bills) on time. This eviction assistance is intended to reduce or even prevent future homelessness in the community.

The support comes in different ways. First and foremost, there are no guarantees to receiving assistance. Also, many different non-profits as well as government affiliated agencies provide help to residents facing eviction, and each has their own application process. While the goal is to always keep the individual in their home, unfortunately that is not always possible and that is when rehousing the family may be explored.

The money to pay for these programs comes from various sources. The primary one is the United States Housing and Urban Development organization, or HUD. Another source of funding to pay for eviction prevention programs is the United Way of Middlesex County or Catholic Charities, and there is also the county government themselves. Since the cost of housing is so high in the area, and monthly rents continue to escalate, the resources will tend to be used up very quickly.

In an effort to stop an eviction from a home or apartment in Middlesex County, the following may be used. The exact type of service will depend on the tenant's income, whether they have a past history of homelessness, and other factors.

  • Cash grants from ESG can sometimes be used for paying some of the rent arrears due.
  • Free legal aid/advice is mostly for non-monetary issues.
  • If the issue is unpaid utility bills, then funds or even government aid from LIHEAP can help the family catch up.
  • Counseling around employment, budgeting, and other matters can be arranged in Middlesex County.
  • Landlord – tenant mediation is an innovate way to find a middle ground other than eviction.
  • Some tenants, such as single mothers or the disabled, can be put into contact with specialists for their needs.
  • When the court hearing takes places, an attorney may be able to attend or they can assign a paralegal to represent the tenant.





The above list is just some of what is provided. Each application for eviction help is reviewed on a case by case basis from a charity. Many families of course request some form of grant or even a short term loan to help them catch up. While the agencies would like to provide that, that funding is extremely limited and comes with many conditions as well.

Rapid Rehousing is also provided as part of HUD's new approach to ending homelessness in Middlesex County and across the state of New Jersey. It was created to keep people out of shelters (or limit their time there) and instead get them into either transitional housing or a new apartment. The assistance provided as part of this, whether someone has been evicted or is homeless, may be as follows.

  • Transitional housing can be used to get the family off the streets. They are income based units in which monthly rent is due, the client needs to save money, and other goals adhered too.
  • Government grants can be used to pay for rental deposits, telephone connection fees, utility set up, and other moving expenses.
  • Non-profits in Middlesex County partner with the new tenant to arrange future support and guidance as well.
  • Rehousing includes workshops to teach people rights and responsibilities on being a tenant or landlord.

All of rehousing is aimed at getting the client into a new home as quickly as possible. It also provides the person the tools they need to stop future evictions and achieve permanent housing stability. HUD studies have shown that the future support is critical to breaking the cycle of poverty as well as homelessness.




Veterans in Middlesex County, or their families, that need support will be referred to SSVF. This is the primary federal resource that address rehousing. The government is committed to helping former military members that are living in New Jersey with preventing an eviction from occurring and also locating a new property. Veterans can apply for grants as well as other support services, such as budgeting classes.

The solutions available to keep someone housed are very limited. But there are programs available to Middlesex County residents of all ages, backgrounds, and races. When struggling to keep up with rent, or after being served a pay or quit notice, it is always best to ask for help as soon as possible. For more information, call (732) 738-1323.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy