Marion County West Virginia assistance programs.
Marion County DHHR - This is the local county government organization that the needy and low income can contact for information on government assistance programs. Some of the services offered include Children's Health Ins. (CHIP); Emergency Crisis Assistance for expenses; Food Stamps; Financial Assistance; Prescription Assistance; Rental Assistance; and emergency help for eating and cooling bills. Fairmont. (304) 363-3261
The leading agency in Marion County is the North Central West Virginia Community Action Association. The numerous assistance programs offered to the working poor and low income include the following.
- Homeless Services and Prevention - In addition to running shelters, they continue to develop programs and services to try to prevent people from being evicted and losing their homes. These include low-income rental housing, permanent supportive housing, and case management to formally homeless individuals and families.
- Loans - The agency partners with banks, lenders, and government agencies to provide low interest rate loans to qualifying customers and homeowners to assist them in both the purchase and repair of housing. Customers of the loan programs are assessed for eligibility of the loan product and they will be assisted with application for low-interest loans for either home repair or home purchase. Read more on government backed loans.
- Weatherization Program - A federal government program that works to reduce the heating and cooling bills for low-income families. It helps these individuals conserve energy. The program was particularly created for the elderly, low income, people with disabilities, and families with children across the county and West Virginia. Weatherization updates to homes reduce energy bills and heating costs through energy-efficient measures such as ductwork, insulating attics, sidewalls, water tanks, insulation, water lines, and performing air sealing measures.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program - This service offers free income tax preparation services to low to moderate-income people in Marion.
- Other services offered include Emergency Financial Assistance, Energy bill help from LIEAP, summer food, food pantry, home loans/HELP loans, One Stop Shop (help finding jobs), Head Start/Early Head Start (thru Corporate office), gardens, shelter(homeless), FEMA, YOC (youth opportunity Camp), Wheels to Work.
Call the Fairmont West Virginia based North Central West Virginia Community Action Association at (304) 363-2170.
Marion County is supported by the Salvation Army as well. The non-profit provides coverage across the state and county. They administer several programs. A main focus is on homeless prevention, including funds for paying rent, utility bills and eviction prevention services. Other aid provided includes free hot, hot meals, holiday assistance, and basic needs such as clothing. More details.
First Christian Church Food Pantry - Runs a food pantry and offers free food. Call (304) 986-3322
Rivesville Free Methodist Church Food Pantry - The church may have limited financial assistance with paying for utilities, housing, rent, and transportation. In addition, food vouchers are also available for groceries and food. Rivesville WV (304) 278-5702
Fairmont/Marion County Food Pantry, phone number (304) 363-7150, is a free food pantry for the Fairmont area.
First Baptist Church Food Pantry - In addition to running a food Pantry, they also administer Operation Christmas Child. The non-profit will also provide small amounts of emergency assistance if funds available for medications, housing, and utility bills. Mannington WV (304) 986-2957
Mannington Food Pantry - The charity type organization can provide mostly emergency financial assistance, help with bills and rent upon referral from Link. In addition, a food pantry and clothing can also be made available. Call (304) 592-3345
Hillview Baptist Church - Runs a food pantry that offers staple items, groceries and commodities, as well as some non-food items such as clothes and baby supplies. Call (304) 363-0530