Free Christmas and holiday help in Luzerne County and Wilkes Barre.
There are dozens of free holiday, Christmas, and Thanksgiving assistance programs in the greater Wilkes-Barre area. Some of them provide free Christmas gifts or toys to kids from low income families, but many of them pass out food and serve meals, both at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Find a list of charities, churches, and non-profits to apply at below.
The main programs in the Luzerne County region include the following:
- -Angel Tree from the Salvation Army and other charities.
- -Several churches and charities participate in the free Luzerne County Toys for Tots program.
- -Adopt a Family, which gives free food, groceries, and more (along with Christmas gifts) for both Thanksgiving and Christmas meals.
Note many of the agencies listed below are food pantries. So they will only have groceries, holiday meals, or food. But referrals may still be given to Christmas gift programs.
Wilkes-Barre Keystone Mission
Address is 290 Parkview Circle
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, 18702
Telephone number is 570-270-6677
Children's Gift Distribution is for kids from infant age/newborn to 13. Toys, free games, snacks, stocking stuffers, and other free Christmas presents are passed out.
Salvation Army has multiple sites. One Location is 17 South Pennsylvania Ave, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18701. Phone 570-824-8741.
Various Christmas and Financial Assistance Programs are run. There is free food for everyone in the home. Toys, games, and books are for kids 12 and under. The charity also has Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey meals, shelter, case management, and a low cost thrift store. Or find additional Salvation Army services in Luzerne County.
Parishes and St. Vincent de Paul - Toys and Food for Christmas
Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18702
Multiple churches participate to help the less fortunate.
Toys for Tots application sites in Luzerne County
- Mt. Zion Volunteer Fire Department, Harding, PA, 18643. Main number is 570-410-1018.
- Nanticoke Terrace Resident Council, Nanticoke, PA, 18634, 570-735-3761
- West Pittston Salvation Army. The intake number is 570-655-5947
- Valley Santa Holiday Gift Program – The non-profit tries to ensure all kids, both boys and girls, have a least one toy to open on Christmas morning.
- Living Word Fellowship Church/Northern Tier Helping Hands, 1285 Charleston Road, Wellsboro Pennsylvania, 16901. Main Phone: 570-439-7692
- Mt. Zion Bicen, 1394 Mt. Zion Road, Harding, Pennsylvania, 18643, call 570-332-2511.
- Nanticoke Terrace, 233 West South Street, Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, 18634, dial 570-735-3761
- The Salvation Army – Hazleton, 356 W Broad St., Hazleton, Pennsylvania, 18201, intake number is 570-454-1631
Community Family Ministry
417 West 2nd St.
hazleton, Pennsylvania, 18201
Applications are accepted for Christmas help. Free toys, games, electronics, clothes, and presents may be offered for children in Luzerne County.
Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Luzerne County
Main address is 39 East Jackson Street
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania 18701
Man phone - (570) 829-7796
Volunteers from the charity help the low income. Whether financial help or food, or Christmas or birthday toys, help is offered. Single moms, the unemployed, and less fortunate get financial aid, free holiday meals, presents for Christmas, books, or other items, resources are offered. More on Luzerne County SVDP assistance programs.
Catholic Charities churches
Programs include a free food pantry and clothing closet. Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas meals and food baskets are passed out to seniors, the elderly, or immigrants among others. Children may be given small stocking stuffers or gifts too. Call 570-822-7118.
Free Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter meal programs in Luzerne County
The charities and non-profits below focus on passing out food to struggling families and/or the homeless. Some may have small gifts or presents for kids, but it is not common.
- Hazleton Christmas Dinner at Holy Rosary Church, 240 S Poplar St., Hazleton. Call 570-455-9515.
- The Commission on Economic Opportunity (CEO) & First Presbyterian Church – They offer a free holiday meals on wheels service. It is for the disabled and elderly. Phone (570) 826-0510.
- Annual Joe Maddon & Friends ThanksMas Dinner at Hazleton One Community Center, Hazleton, PA, 18201
- Al Beech/West Side Food Pantry, 190 S. Sprague Avenue, Kingston, PA Pennsylvania 18704, 570-288-0934.
- St Leo's/ Holy Rosary - Commission on Economic Opportunity, 33 Manhattan St, Ashley, PA, 18706. Call 570-822-3639.
- Avoca Food Pantry, Bethel UM Church, Avoca, PA, 18641. Call 570-457-6791.
- Back Mountain Food Pantry, 40 Knob Hill Rd, Trucksville, PA, 18708. Telephone number is 570-696-2917.
- Bethel AME Church Food Pantry is based at 516 South Franklin St, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18702. For information on free turkeys and Christmas meals, call 570-825-6127
- Catholic Social Services – Address is 214 West Walnut St, Hazleton, PA, 18201. Phone - 570-455-1521.
- Commission on Economic Opportunity, 165 Amber Lane, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18702. Phone - 570-826-0510.
- CEO Hazleton pantry and soup kitchen - Broad St. Business Exchange, Hazleton, PA, 18201, 570-455-4994
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18702. 570-826-0510
- Holy Mother of Sorrows or Sacred Heart Church, Dupont, PA, 18641. Christmas toys, gifts, but mostly free food and groceries are passed out. Call 570-655-6216.
- Christian Service Center Plymouth, 66 Willow St, Plymouth, Pennsylvania, 18651. 570-779-5323.
- Freeland Interfaith branch of Commission on Economic Opportunity, 829 Washington St., Freeland, PA, 18224. Main phone - 570-636-3535
- Greater Pittston Food Pantry, 37 Williams Street, Pittston, PA, 18640. Main number is 570-654-9923.
- St Pauls Lutheran Church, Mountain Top, PA, 18707. Call 570-474-6616
- Pope John Paul School, Nanticoke, PA, 18634, call 570-262-4327
- Nescopeck Area Community Cupboard, Commission on Economic Opportunity, Nescopeck, PA, 18635. Main number is 570-752-6936.
- Operation Blessing, Faith Assembly of God, West Hazleton, Pennsylvania, 18202. Telephone - 570-459-2410.
- St. Nicholas, 226 South Washington St, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18701. Phone - 570-823-7736.
- St. Peter and Paul's, CEO, 13 Hudson Rd., Plains, PA, 18705, 570-825-6663
- United Charities is located at 107 Madison Ave, West Hazleton, PA, 18202. For information on holiday meals and ingredients, dial 570-455-1529.
- Volunteers of America often feeds the homeless, veterans, and single people on Christmas or Thanksgiving. Address is 25 North River Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA, 18701.