latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Kansas free child care assistance programs.

Kansas families may qualify for one of several types of child care assistance. The government can issue subsidies or free daycare vouchers to qualified parents. There are also free daycare programs in Kansas as well as other options for low income parents. Any financial aid provided depends on state and federal government funding levels. Resources are limited and there is often a waiting list in place. Find how to apply for free or subsidized daycare in KS below.

The Subsidy Program helps pay for certain types of day and child care costs. Many types of lower income families and parents may qualify. Some examples of likely beneficiaries are as follows.

-Teenage parents that are in high school and/or completing their GED may enroll. They need to stay in school in order to continue to receive ongoing assistance.
-Residents who are on TANF, or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, can receive help. This Kansas program helps these working poor families both get and keep jobs.
-Some qualified families may be enrolled in education or job training activities. The state may provide free day care in these cases.
-In general, low-income, working families may be found to be qualified. They will need to meet government income limits and may be a lower priority.

As with any government assistance program or benefit, there are a number of conditions that need to be met by Kansas families in order to qualify for aid. Some of them are as follows.

The child or children in question must be under age 13. However some exceptions can be made for children up to the age of 18 if they have a medical condition, are disabled, or are faced with other challenges. Or if the parent(s) are disabled then additional support may be offered. Social service staff will consider both physical and mental self-care skills for children up to age 18. Also, if a court oversees the care for the child, then he or she may qualify for assistance.

If the parent/guardian/caretaker meets income guidelines and still needs help in paying for child care, the program can provide subsidies and financial assistance to them. The resident must apply, take the initiative and be able to act on their own behalf. It almost goes without saying that the family and the child must live in Kansas. Proof of income will need to be provided. If one or both parents are absent from the home, the remaining one (or the guardian) in the home must work with Child Support Enforcement.





If the applicants income meets the standards that are in place, then they may qualify for child care assistance. The income that is considered includes wages before taxes, child support, and some other sources. Families will use the financial assistance towards the cost of paying for the care from their chosen provider. Or, as noted, some free programs may be offered. Parents will need to still pay a co-payment in most cases as Kansas will not pay your entire bill due to funding levels.

Only certain Child Care Providers are able to be reimbursed. Parents can choose their provider from the following types that operate in Kansas. They need to be a licensed family child care home or center. A child’s relative, such as an aunt, grandparent or uncle, can provide the care. A provider can also be reimbursed for coming into the child’s home. Last, but not least, licensed group child care homes are a possibility for program participants. All providers need to enroll with the state in order to be eligible for payment from parents or this government program. They also need to be able to receive payments electronically.

The subsidy or voucher will be issued to the beneficiary from the Electronic Benefit transfer (EBT) Vision card, which is similar to a debit card. Other benefits are provided to low income families from this card, including food stamps and similar goods. For example, cash and SNAP Food Assistance are also issued through the Vision card.

How to apply for day and child care help in Kansas

To get additional information or to enroll into the Kansas Child Care Subsidy Program, dial 1-888-369-4777 for details. Or you can pick up an application at any DCF Office in your town or county. Low to moderate income families will be provided information on how to get free or more affordable daycare for their kid(s).


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page