Imperial County assistance programs.
Crisis and emergency assistance
The Imperial County and El Centro Catholic Charities (760 353-6823) offers low income and needy residents access to several emergency programs. Some of the resources offered to qualified individuals includes Emergency Food Assistance, Baby Supplies, and Holiday Programs. They also offer senior assistance programs and help for the homeless. All funding, especially for financial needs, is limited by the church based group. More information.
Another organization to contact is the Neighborhood House of Calexico, Inc. They run an emergency assistance program that can provide aid to help people pay bills and other expenses. The services offered as part of this agency include:
- Utility Bill Assistance – Financial help for paying gas, water and electricity bills.
- Rental Assistance Programs
- Emergency Food and Food Commodities
- Motel and Hotel Vouchers or grants for a security deposit
- Thrift store is located on site.
- Services are for immigrants in Imperial County.
- Child education programs are run too.
Call the agency at 357-6875, or continue Neighborhood House of Calexico programs.
El Centro Salvation Army (352-4528) offers eligible individuals access to several services and resources. The programs include homeless outreach, rent and housing assistance, free food and meals, and senior program. They may also have limited funding to pay for utility bills and prescription medications. The Imperial Valley non-profit and their Family Services program can also offer more seasonal support, such as Christmas assistance, Thanksgiving meals, and maybe even back to school supplies. Senior citizens in the area can also get help. More on Salvation Army resources in Imperial Valley.
Senior Citizen's Emergency Fund provides the elderly and low income seniors with a wide variety of assistance that is aimed at helping senior citizen's and disabled adults in the community. Utility bill help, free food, prescription drugs, client assessment and information and referral to other charities and California and federal government programs are offered. 353-2620
The Imperial County community action agency is known as the Campesinos Unidos, Inc. Call them at (760) 351-5100.
- Emergency assistance and social services: This resource helps with numerous needs. Get assistance with paying for utility final notice and disconnection payments, assistance in applying for government programs, free food, and other aid.
- Weatherization - This programs helps people conserve energy.
- Low income energy assistance (LIHEAP) - This is a federal government funded energy bill assistance program that provides grants to pay monthly utility bills, and will also help prevent a disconnection. Funds are available once per year. The program can also offer heating oil, propane, wood, kerosene, and other fuel sources.
- Referrals are available. Campesinos Unidos is committed to helping people overcome poverty and their hardships. So case managers will direct qualified working poor or low income clients to local charities, churches, and non-profits for a number of needs.
Groceries, food, and other aid
Call or stop by the Imperial Valley Food Bank. This non-profit charity organization supplies donated and/or purchased food to charities and non-profit agencies that help needy families, children and other individuals throughout Imperial County and El Centro. Call 370-0966.
There are several other free food pantries in El Centro and the county. Each will have an application process. Not only may groceries, baby formula, and similar items be served, but locations will generally offer non-financial aid, such as clothing or school supplies.
- House of Hope - The faith based group has an emergency food bank. Dial (760) 352-1182.
- Rey de Reys Church - Fruits, vegetables, and more are on site at this Calexico pantry. Call (760) 357-9597.
- There are other non-profits as well. Read more Imperial County food pantries.