Hennepin County eviction and rehousing assistance programs.

Hennepin County has several emergency eviction as well as homeless prevention programs in the area. Most of them are coordinated by both the Office to End Homelessness as well as Continuum of Care affiliated, non-profit agencies. These two organizations will allow tenants to apply for a number of eviction assistance programs, ranging from federal government grants to other housing solutions.

The city of Minneapolis as well as Hennepin County Human Services have a multiple year plan in place to end homelessness, both from evictions or foreclosures. This also helps more unique scenarios, such as domestic violence or a veteran that has returned to the community and needs a place to live. When someone is in a crisis, they can call the emergency hotline which is noted below.

There are many non-profits that are members of the continuum of care, including The Link, Eden - Portland Village, Our Saviour's Housing, the Salvation Army - Hope Harbor and about 20 others. No agency in itself can address the high levels of evictions in the community, but the thought is by coordinating resources they can work together to assist low income families.

Grants for eviction prevention and homeless assistance – The Department of Human Services or non-profits that are part of the United Way Network may have money to help tenants that are in a crisis. There may also be support from faith based communities in Minneapolis, local government agencies, and low income housing providers among others.

Hennepin County Emergency Shelter Grants are used for this resource. There may be short-term funds (or subsidies) as a form of homeless prevention assistance. The money is used to low to moderate income families that are in imminent risk of losing their housing due to eviction or utility shutoffs. In some cases ESG may help those homeowners on the brink of a foreclosure. Or the HUD grant can pay for a motel or hotel room for a couple days by issuing the homeless person a voucher.

The assistance from the Housing and Urban Development initiated program is limited. However it can help single adults or mothers, families with children and youth, as well as senior citizens in the region. Anyone can apply for eviction help, but most of the financial support for rental arrears will be for those applicants that have a source of income. Also, if a formerly homeless person is seeking money for a security deposit, then they need to be employed as well.




The Office to End Homelessness coordinates this service and more. The agency works with the state of Minnesota, federal and local governments, nonprofits, churches and other groups, even including homeless citizens. More solutions to the housing crisis in Hennepin County can include the following.

  • There is a network of family shelters for the homeless and people that have been evicted. They can access food, case management, and more.
  • HPRP is another national homeless prevention and rehousing program that tenants and the homeless can apply too.
  • Some families that are questionable to receiving a grant from Hennepin County Human Services may be provided a short term loan instead.
  • Attorneys can offer legal defense to those residents with an eviction notice from their landlord.
  • Transitional housing may be accessible from groups such as Our Saviour's Housing.
  • When lack of heat could lead to homelessness in Minneapolis, then the Continuum of Care may refer the individual to a program for that expense.

Any eviction assistance is combined with holistic case management support. This process is used to stabilize the client's living situation. This can even lead to placement into a Rapid Rehousing Program as well, if that would be what is needed for stability. When the resident has more particular needs (such as being disabled) then Shelter Plus Care may be used in Minneapolis. This combines rent subsidies with support services to help the tenant live independently.

The Minneapolis Stable Families Initiative is another tool in the county. Unfortunately there are instances in which providing legal support or a grant for paying some of the clients rental expenses is not enough. The tenant may just be facing an eviction again or have a history of it. The Initiative combines financial aid with long term support as well for employment, budgeting, and any other needs.




Anyone who is at risk of an eviction, or that is currently without a permanent home and needs help from rehousing, can dial 612-348-4111. Referrals will be given to agencies affiliated with the Office to End Homelessness.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy