latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Help with rent in Genesee County Michigan.

Find how Genesee County families that are facing eviction as well as the homeless can apply for rental assistance. Charity organizations, churches as well as government agencies such as Human Services will offer eligible residents with cash grants for helping pay housing expenses ranging from security deposits to back rent. Or find free motel vouchers, legal aid for tenants in housing court, and details on applying for emergency or long term section 8 HUD vouchers too.

Any type of financial aid or emergency rent assistance is limited. Tenants who are struggling should request help for paying their housing expenses as soon as possible, before they have a pay or quit notice from their landlord. Depending on the agency and funding levels, some clients will be issued a grant for the rent that is due while other families in the Flint area will be referred to alternate options or even be given a loan. Other non-profits or local charities in the region may assist with costs such as security deposits, utilities or moving expenses for transitional housing.

Genesee County Community Action Resource Department is part of the nationwide network of non-profit community organizations. They do offer limited eviction prevention services, including grants from ESG for rent, mortgages or energy bill costs. Some tenants are issued a no interest loan to use for rental expenses. They are based in Flint at 601 North Saginaw Street. Call (810) 768-4675 or (810) 232-2185.

Genesee County Department Of Human Services – DHS can offer rent help from SER / Emergency Relief. This service will also offer housing for seniors and the disabled as well as money for moving costs. Many government benefits are available in an effort to prevent homelessness in Flint and nearby cities. Location is 125 East Union Street, Flint, Michigan 48502. Phone (810) 760-2200. There are other DHS offices below as well.

  • The DHS Floyd J Mccree District office is at 630 South Saginaw Street, Flint, MI 48502. For information on any emergency assistance for rent, dial (810) 760-7300.
  • Children and single parents in the county can try the Children's District center at 125 East Union Street. Call (810) 760-2888.
  • Clio Road District may also have applications for SER. The office is 4809 Clio Road, Flint, Michigan 48504. Call (810) 787-7101 for intake.




Flint Housing Commission is located at 7002 Pemberton Drive, Flint, MI 48505. This is the countywide Public Housing Authority. Apply to section 8 HUD vouchers for rental expenses. Also, information on mortgage counseling programs, low income housing, emergency section 8 for seniors or the disabled and other services are run. Genesee County HCV vouchers are for rental subsidized private homes for the low income, seniors, and disabled. Phone - (810) 736-3050

Outreach East provide financial help (including for rent) for a limited region. they only cover Goodrich, Davison, and Otisville. Emergency rent assistance or energy bill help can stop evictions. The location is 425 N Genesee St., Davison, MI 48423. Call (810) 653-7711.

St. John Catholic Church Outreach is for Fenton or Linden in Genesee County. Call (810) 629-1817. There is rental assistance, grants, food, and other aid. the location is 600 N Adelaide St., Fenton, MI 48430.

Countywide Catholic Charities is for the low income, immigrants, and working poor. Everything from money to pay a little back rent to free furniture, utility bill help, and more is offered. They assist immigrants with storage costs, documentation, and security deposits and other housing needs too. More on rental assistance Genesee County Catholic Charities.

Wellness Aids Services only supports people with HIV and/or AIDs and their families. Housing or financial help (including for rent or moving costs) is arranged for HIV / AIDs patients and families. Address is 311 E. Court Street, Flint, Michigan 48502. Call (810) 232-0888.

Shelter of Flint operates the One Stop Housing Resource Center. This is a central referral service for information on rental assistance, government grant programs, Homeless Prevention and more. Address is 924 Cedar Street , Flint, MI 48503. Transitional housing is for women and children. Once they are stable they can apply for funds for rental and utility deposits and receive other support. Main phone - 810-239-5433 or (810) 238-4711





HPRP is the regional homeless prevention and rehousing program in Genesee County. Low income tenants (including single parents, mothers and seniors) can get grants for rent arrears or mortgage payments. The homeless may also be provide a voucher for a motel room, access to emergency shelters, or rental deposit help. More on eviction and rehousing help in Genesee County.

Genesee County Metropolitan Planning Commission has referrals. Information may be given to long term, affordable apartments and housing solutions. The agency offers homeless prevention from their office at 1101 Beach Street, Flint, MI 48502. Government grants or charitable loans can pay back rent or a deposit. There are transitional housing programs, shelters, free legal aid for tenants (including fighting housing discrimination of minorities) and more. Call (810) 257-3010 or (810)766-6549.

Volunteers Of America Michigan – Flint Office can be a resource. Call (248) 945-0101. Veterans in Genesee County can receive help from SSVF. There may be grants for housing, rent, and basic living costs. Rehousing is also offered for the homeless.

LOVE of Flint provides referrals, information, and free basic needs (such as furniture). The address is 3444 West Lennon Road, Flint, MI 48507. Only information is given. The Clearinghouse is (810) 235-4990.

Salvation Army Social Services. Main address is 211 West Kearsley Street, Flint, MI 48502. Call (810) 232-2196 or (810) 232-2197. Case managers can help clients apply for one time rent help. There is also funds for utility bills, foreclosure counseling, food and more. Or get free hotel or motel vouchers. Call the non-profit for information on homeless shelters, non-interest loans for overdue rent and other comprehensive solutions.

Genesee County Department of Veteran’s Services can help low-income veterans, the homeless, and their families. Get housing help, emergency rental or utility assistance (to stop homelessness), guidance on VA benefits and more. They also rehouse veterans, help them find (and pay for) permanent housing including first months rent or a security deposit. The location is 1101 Beach Street, Flint, MI 48502. Call 810-257-3068.





Legal Services Of Eastern Michigan is a non-profit, pro-bono. The location is 436 South Saginaw Street
Flint, MI 48502. Main number is (800) 322-4512. Free legal aid on housing discrimination is offered. Tenants facing eviction or that are in rent arrears to their landlord can also learn about their rights from lawyers on site.

City of Flint Department of Community and Economic Development - Location is 1101 S. Saginaw Street, Flint, MI 48502. Home repairs, government assistance, home buying loans and more. Call (810)-766-7436 for referrals.

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page