Gary and Lake County Catholic Charity programs.
When someone is faced with an immediate financial crisis, Catholic Charities may be able to help. The agency administers a number of emergency services for the needy in the region. The centers support people in Gary Indiana, as well as the counties of Porter, Lake, LaPorte, and Starke. Some examples of the emergency assistance offered by Catholic Charities is as follows. Note all funding is limited, comes with restrictions and qualifications that need to be met.
- Utility and heating bill assistance for low income individuals facing a shut-off of their service is offered.
- A food pantry is available at the East Chicago Office, and the center can assist the needy and low income.
- Rent, mortgage, and general housing assistance is offered for the low income. If you are facing an eviction then the charity may be able to assist.
Gateway Housing may be able to provide shelter/housing for the chronically homeless in the region. It is a Shelter Plus Care program that uses grants and funding from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The center will try to provide permanent housing for the homeless in Lake and Porter County Indiana. It is hoped that dozens of people can receive assistance over the next few years.
Offering stable housing, and addressing the causes of it, is one of the primary goals of Gateway and Catholic Charities. Case managers and others work to relieve the most immediate and painful symptom of the chronically homeless, and provide them with a more stable life and living environment in the Gary area.
Gateway will try to help end homeless across Northwest Indiana. Specific services can help with the payment of the application fee, security deposit, and monthly rent and utilities; help in finding an apartment; ongoing case management and support; as well as periodic assistance in the form of donated household items and food.
Housing counseling services are offered, with a focus on people looking to buy a home in Indiana. Becoming a homeowner can be very rewarding both personally and financially. While it is not always the right choice for everyone, many people are working towards this goal. Catholic Charities in Gary Indiana can help individuals decide if homeownership is the best option for you. Call a Catholic Charities center near you to learn more or to sign up for the next Housing Counseling session.
Workshops and counselors can offer pre-homebuyer education, such as one-on-one counseling or group seminars. Receive pre-purchase qualification when shopping for a mortgage. Foreclosure prevention sessions are offered too.
If you have a financial challenge, then get help in setting a realistic budget. Also sign up for free or low cost credit counseling, including repairing bad credit and financial literacy. From time to time down payment assistance may be available to qualified buyers in Lake, Porter, and other regions. Dial (219) 879-9312 for information on Catholic Charities Housing Counseling programs, or read more Indiana credit counseling.
Refugee and Immigration Services are offered at most locations. Receive family reunification services for refugees. Immigrants can get low cost legal advice and support as they relocate to a new area.
Hispanic Services may be offered. This includes bi-lingual case management, support for individuals and families, and possibly emergency financial assistance.
- Administrative Office, 940 Broadway, Gary Indiana 46402, phone number (219) 886-3549
- Crown Point center, 101 W. Burrell Drive, St. Matthias Hall, Crown Point, IN 46307, dial (219) 844-4883
- East Chicago Office, 3901 Fir Street, East Chicago, Indiana 46312, call (219) 397-5803
- Gary Catholic Charity Office, 940 Broadway, Gary Indiana 46402, main telephone (219) 886-3549
- Hammond Office, 6919 Indianapolis Boulevard, Hammond, IN 46324, main phone: (219) 844-4883
- Michigan City Office, 321 West 11th Street, Michigan City, IN 46360, call (219) 879-9312
- Portage Office, 6350 Central Avenue, Portage, Indiana 46368, telephone (219) 762-1177