Elmhurst Walk-In Ministry social services.
A leading faith based organization in the area is the Elmhurst Walk-In Ministry. They only serve that immediate area around Elmhurst Illinois. The charity organizes the programs administered by local agencies and arranges services and aid for qualified low income families. While in many cases the ministry will offer referrals, there are definitely instances in which vouchers or financial support is available from the faith based charity.
The organization relies on donations, and examples of what can be contributed is below. The community, including businesses, service organizations, churches and many other individuals will often donate. They work together and in an effort to provide emergency assistance and basic needs to people and families in need.
The charity assists families with children and other needy residents, PADS guests, as well as members of participating churches. In some cases, they may offer referrals to other agencies in DuPage or provide one time assistance to travelers.
Volunteers and staff from the ministry assess the applicant’s needs. They then respond as needed. Examples of the services and programs offered are below.
- Basic needs – This can include free food or clothing, holiday meals, and more.
- Financial aid – This is very limited, but there may be cases in which the Elmhurst Walk-In Ministry can help pay for rent, a security deposit, car repair, or medications. Any vouchers or funds for this are paid directly to the creditor, and not the applicant.
- Transportation – Vouchers may be used for train tickets or bus passes. This is in addition to the car repairs referenced above.
- Referrals – Staff offer linkage and information to resources in DuPage County that may help immediately or over a longer term, and this includes government benefits too.
As noted, all services provided depend on the encouragement and generosity of Elmhurst churches, municipal offices, non-profit service organizations, businesses, and individuals. The ministry will also rely on volunteers who work in teams to assist clients. There are all generous people who wish to help those that are less fortunate.
To donate, you can do the following. Contribute gifts cards to local retailers such as Target or Wal-Mart. They also need volunteers to process the applications, perform intake, and to just be a listening ear for the needy and less fortunate. Or you can donate clothing or households goods to First United Methodist Church or the ministry itself.
Referrals are also available, as noted. The ministry has information on local food pantries and clothing closets. They may have groceries, toiletry items, back to school supplies, Christmas gifts for children and more. These are located at Immaculate Conception and Yorkfield Presbyterian Churches. Examples of other private and government agencies they partner with our below as well.
- Catholic Charities is a key partner. They offer so called general and housing assistance, classes and social service aid.
- Free medical and dental is from the local Dupage Clinic.
- Northwest DuPage Walk in Ministries can also provide referrals and maybe emergency financial aid.
- St. Vincent DePaul Society at Mary Queen of Heaven Church in Elmhurst is another key agency. They offer food, shelter, and information as well.
The limited aid from the Walk-In Ministry can get people back on track. For example, some clients may be assisted in the form of very short term utility bill assistance or rent. They are involved in addressing the basic needs of shelter with adequate electricity, heat and water. If you can’t pay your bills due to some short term crisis, temporary lay-offs, loss of work or other conditions, then call for intake. The address is 125 W Church St, call (630) 782-6006.