latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Rent assistance programs in Detroit and Wayne County.

Get help with rent and find programs that provide housing assistance, including grants for paying security deposits or eviction help in the Detroit Michigan region. A number of non-profit agencies, charities, churches and government assistance programs can provide emergency rental assistance to the low income in Detroit and across Wayne County.

Below you will find information on a multitude of resources that help the low income, elderly, disabled, and unemployed. These agencies may have funds to help tenants pay their rent and housing expenses in the greater Detroit area. Most of the non-profits and agencies have limited funding available.

When possible, these funds will be issued to (1) struggling renters and that (2) have a source of income to pay future bills on their own. The programs will help pay costs ranging from rent to utilities or security deposits. The money can help people avoid an eviction and remain in their homes. A number of homeless prevention programs and rapid re-housing services are also offered as well as emergency rent help.

Find Detroit area agencies that help pay rent

ACCESS - Information line is (313) 842-7010 – Provides referrals as well as information on Detroit housing and rent programs. The non-profit is known as Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services). There is also transitional housing, rent grants, housing placement services and more. Or try The address is 16427 W. Warren Ave, Detroit, MI 48228. Call (313) 429-2469 or 313-203-3391.

Society Of Saint Vincent De Paul In The Archdiocese Of Detroit, located at 3000 Gratiot Ave, Detroit, MI 48207. The charity  may be able to provide short term, limited financial assistance for rent, utility, or heating costs. SVDP works to address housing needs for individuals and Wayne County families who are experiencing an unexpected financial crisis. This will be available to those that do not have access to any other options or government programs. (313) 393-2930.

  • There are other Saint Vincent De Paul stores and parishes in Wayne County. As it is a partnership of local churches, some of which may be involved in shelters or energy bill / rental payment programs. The charity serves Detroit and Wayne County Michigan. Call them toll-free 1-877-788-4623. Limited financial assistance for paying rent may be available as well as referrals. More on Saint Vincent assistance in Wayne County.




Legal Aid and Defender Association offers assistance for low income families facing an eviction. The location is  613 Abbott St, Detroit, MI 48226. Free advice and/or representation is for those Wayne County residents being evicted from their rental property or apartments. Lawyers also help with applications to benefit programs such as SSI, credit counseling, or section 8 HUD vouchers. The office is on Abbott Street in Detroit. Dial (877) 964-4700.

Samaritan Wyandotte Ministerial Association may have assistance for the low income of Wyandotte Michigan.  Call for information and/or referrals.  In some cases, a loan may be issued to pay rent or a security deposit. St Patricks Church (phone (734) 486-8473) is one of the agencies.

Michigan Department Of Human Services Wayne County has multiple locations, with the main office at 3040 W Grand Boulevard, Detroit, Michigan, 48202. Call (313) 578-5500 or try (313) 361-7300 or (313) 456-6830. The Wayne County and state of Michigan SER program helps with rent payments, mortgages, utilities and housing needs. They also have TANF benefits, motel vouchers and more.

DHS offers emergency services including rent assistance and other forms of financial aid from SER. A number of state and government assistance programs are offered for the poor, unemployed, and struggling in Wayne County and Detroit Michigan, even including vouchers for a hotel, subsidized rental homes, and government grants for deposit help. There are several other sites, including in Detroit. Try (313-926-8600) for the call center.

Wayne County Salvation Army. Not only do they offer shelter and emergency rent help, but the charity can also distribute food, clothing, and other emergency aid. There may be resources for single mothers to help with housing, or get free motel vouchers or furniture for a home. They have several community centers around the Detroit and Wayne County Michigan. They are listed below.

  • Dearborn Heights Community Corps Center. Call (313) 563-4457.
  • Brightmoor Corps Community Center - Detroit Michigan based. (313-532-1500
  • Grandale Corps Community Center - Detroit (313) 835-3736
  • Harding Corps Community Center - Detroit (313) 822-2800
  • Temple Corps Community Center - Detroit (313) 897-2914
  • Plymouth Corps Community Center - Plymouth (734) 453-5464
  • Wayne/Westland Community Corps Center - Westland (734) 722-3660
  • Downriver Community Corps Center - Wyandotte (734) 282-0930

Wayne County Soldiers & Sailors Relief is another agency that is focused on serving veterans and spouses of deceased veterans. Information can be obtained by dialing (313) 224-8163





Wayne Metropolitan Community Action Agency – They run several different assistance programs. Among them include the Homeless Prevention Program, which provides housing assistance, case management and financial help. Most of the support is for families and individuals with children, including single mothers in Detroit, who are at risk of becoming homeless.

Renters that apply and are found to eligible, clients can receive short-term support such as assistance with paying their monthly rent, security deposits, utilities or mortgage help. There is also landlord tenant medications, moving cost assistance and employment help.

Programs, application processes and available resources vary by location. Some centers may issue loans for rent and other expenses, such as utilities. That may be their procedure. There are several offices around the region, including  7310 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI, 48202. Call (313) 388-9799.

Eviction Prevention and Rapid Rehousing is used by both tenants and the homeless. Financial aid in the form of grants pay rental arrears, moving costs or address needs such as a motel voucher. Wayne County Michigan low income families can also use legal aid to stop homeless or deal with disputes over rent or security deposits. More information on homeless prevention in Wayne County.

COTS Detroit, or Creating Opportunities To Succeed!, offers housing services. This includes financial help, grants, homeless shelters and more. The address is 26 Peterboro, Detroit, MI 48201. There may be government grants for paying utility bills or rent. Or get specialized housing programs for the elderly or disabled. Call 313-831-3777.

Detroit Housing Commission provides section 8 housing vouchers as well as assistive units to live in. There are homes and apartments for the elderly, disabled and others. In some cases, emergency section 8 vouchers can be provided to some income qualified families. Tenants will need to pay up to 30% of their income for their monthly rent and utilities. The address is 1301 E Jefferson, Detroit, Michigan 48207. Call (313) 877-8000.

Wayne County Neighborhood Legal Services - Great Lakes Legal is at 7310 Woodward Ave, Detroit, Michigan 48202. Free legal aid, renter-landlord medications and representation in housing court. Also get help with housing discrimination or legal aid to ensure housing is safe/repairs are made. Call 313-874-5820.

United Community Housing Coalition is a region non-profit. Location address - 2727 2nd Ave, Detroit, MI 48201. The working poor, struggling tenants and other can get help with bills or housing costs. Dial - (313) 963-3310

Detroit Neighborhood City Halls – Residents can contact their local government city hall as well. They can help people find and apply for rent and housing assistance. Or learn about government programs and the city hall will offer services such as landlord-tenant dispute resolution. Some centers have information on transitional and temporary housing as well. Or free motel vouchers may be given during the cold weather. The offices, phone numbers, and addresses are listed below. Dial 211 for details.





CAM - Coordinated Assessment Model/Coordinated Entry System, or the Access Point for Homelessness, offers permanent supportive housing. They cover the city of Detroit. Learn about financial help for paying moving expenses or deposits, rapid rehousing, and more. Referrals to rent or power disconnection programs may be offered to stop homelessness, including deferred cash loans.

The non-profit also offers the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF). This help with housing needs for people that have served our country. Call 313-963-6601 or 313-305-0311. The main Housing Resource Center is at 1600 Porter Street, Detroit, Michigan 48216.

Central City Integrated Health is based at 10 Peterboro St., Detroit, MI 48201. They help veterans, women facing domestic violence, the disabled and others with housing needs. There may be grants, financial help for rent and other resources. The mentally ill can also get help, including a shelter. Call 313-831-3160.

Health Emergency Lifeline Programs (Corktown Health Center) helps HIV/AIDs patients only. They can get help for rent, emergency housing funds, and other financial assistance. Transportation and medical needs are covered too. Any money paid out for rental costs is limited. The office is at 1726 Howard St, Detroit, MI 48216, or call  (313) 832-3300.

Wayne County Veterans Affairs Department – Veterans and their families, including wives, husbands, widows, widowers, minor children and mothers, may get emergency rent and housing assistance. Location is 28 W Adams Suite 1710. Detroit, Michigan (313) 224-5045

By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site