Community and Senior Services assistance programs in LA County.
Operating from several sites in Los Angeles County, Community and Senior Services supports the elderly as well as their caregivers in the region. Various programs are available, including Meals on Wheels as well as Supportive Services or free legal aid that focuses on issues specific to seniors. They also operate general senior centers in Los Angeles County which allow the elderly to meet, take trips, get a free meal, learn about medical care/Medicare and other programs.
There is also help and support for people that care for the elderly. As the respite provided to them can also make a difference by enhancing their ability to provide decent and high quality care to the elderly.
Food and free meals for seniors in Los Angeles County
Community and Senior Services furnishes nutritious, hot meals to clients that meet income and other criteria. This is a program offered throughout Los Angeles County, either at CSS sites, or delivered to qualifying area residents at their homes.
A Congregate Meals Program works with dozens of both private and public service providers. The goal is to serve low cost, hot, nutritious meals to people at senior centers and parks located throughout Los Angeles County, and all the food provided will meet national nutritional guidelines for healthy eating.
The Home Delivery program is designed specifically for home-bound individuals, whether elderly or disabled. CSS will assist those who are unable to prepare meals for themselves. This vital resource not only delivers nutritious meals on a daily basis, it also serves as an opportunity to personally check in with clients. Drivers do this to ensure their safety and helping to keep them as independent as possible in their own homes.
List of assistance programs from Los Angeles senior and community centers
Working toward the goal of promoting the independence of seniors over the age of 60, the Supportive Services Program from the agency addresses issues in regard to functional limitations. Community and Senior Services will focus on health care, socialization, and access to a number of resources, as noted below.
Priority is placed on assisting older individuals with the greatest economic and/or social needs, with the agency limiting its coverage to residents of Los Angeles County. Available programs include the following of general Case Management, Alzheimer’s Day Care, Housekeeping, Personal Care, or Registry Services.
Job placement from a government program known as Title V was brought about in response to the critical need for employment opportunities for those over age 55. This benefit made provision for the establishment of the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP), which offers government subsidized on-the-job training experiences. Participants will be provided the opportunity for them to gain new job skills necessary for success in today’s workplace.
The goal of this Community and Senior Services administered resource is to adequately prepare participants to transition into unsubsidized jobs, allowing them to reach their true potential as valuable employees and community members. They will also be entitled to a small salary at their new position.
The CSS administered Adult and Dislocated Worker Programs provide individuals aged 18 years and up with the following employment-related service, including Job Search Assistance, Initial Evaluation, Career Counseling, and Job Placement. There is even support from free government job training in California.
Legal aid and health counseling from Community and Senior Services
The Traditional Legal Assistance Program provides consultation services for low income Los Angeles County residents. Services are provided by members of the California State Bar or non-attorneys, such as paralegals, under the supervision of members of the Bar.
The attorneys operate from different locations. Many of the consultations are provided at in homebound clients’ homes, local Senior Centers, or at monthly community education seminars held at selected sites.
The HICAP - Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program provides education and counseling regarding Medicare, prescription drug coverage and related health insurance needs. There are even drug plans that help senior citizens only. The information is presented by trained volunteers. Consultations are offered either at CSS sites or in the homes of those who are unable to leave their residences.
Information on care giving and respite support is available through the CSS Information Services Program. The agency will work with the following services to offer the most comprehensive information possible. Clients can benefit from Community Education on Caregiving, Family Caregiver Support Program (FCSP), and more.
LA County offices of Community and Senior Services
The primary office of Community and Senior Services is located at 3175 West 6th St., Los Angeles, CA, 90020. Phone number is 213-738-2645. There are a few other satellite offices as well, as noted below. Each may offer free food, home care or respite, congregate meals as well as other support.
- Altadena Community Center address is 730 E. Altadena Dr., Altadena, CA 91001, call 626-398-6174.
- Altadena Senior Center - 560 E Mariposa St., Altadena, CA 91001, Phone: 626-798-0505
- Antelope Valley Senior Center, 777 W. Jackman St., Lancaster, CA 93534, main phone 661-726-4400
- Asian Service Center - 14112 S. Kingsley Dr., Gardena, CA 90249, 310-217-7300
- Centro Maravilla Service Center, 4716 Cesar E. Chavez Ave., Los Angeles 90022, dial 323-260-2804
- East Los Angeles Service Center is at 133 N. Sunol Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90063, telephone 323-260-2801
- East Rancho Dominguez - 4513 E. Compton Blvd., Compton, CA 90221, 310-603-7401
- Florence/Firestone Service Center, 7807 S. Compton Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90001, telephone 323-586-6502
- Los Nietos Senior Center, 11640 E. Slauson Ave., Whittier, CA 90606, call 562-699-9898
- Potrero Heights Park Community Center address is 8051 Arroyo Dr., Montebello, CA, 90640, call 626-927-5430
- San Gabriel Valley Service Center, 1441 Santa Anita Ave. S., El Monte, CA 91733, telephone 626-575-5431
- San Pedro Service Center, 769 W. Third St., San Pedro, CA 90731, telephone 310-519-6091
- Santa Clarita Valley Service Center, 24271 S. Main St., Newhall, CA 91321, 661-254-007
- Willowbrook Senior Center, 12915 Jarvis Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90061, phone 7310-217-5650