Get free legal assistance in Colorado.
Qualified low to moderate income people in Colorado can get free advice and assistance with a variety of issues. Colorado Legal Services is the organizations that administers the program in all cities and counties. Note that the agency does help all seniors who are 60 and over regardless of their income levels, however this occurs only if the individual problem falls within CLS program guidelines. In addition, support is only offered if the office has the resources available to provide this legal assistance at the times needed.
While they do not handle criminal cases, they do provide free legal advice on a variety of civil issues. This is what the attorneys specialize in, so this is their focus. The kind of cases they deal with include the following:
- Consumer debt problems, including bankruptcy as well as illegal and harassing debt collectors. There is also help to stop the garnishment of wages, medical bill collection, and repossession.
- Housing, including legal advice for foreclosures, evictions, unsafe housing, and advice for solving a variety of landlord/tenant issues.
- Family law, which includes divorce, domestic violence, custody, guardianship, adoptions and more.
- Issues that seniors may have, including including wills. there are also attorneys in Colorado that can create living wills, medical durable powers of attorney, or help clients enroll into government medical programs.
- Assistance and problems with applying for both Colorado state and federal government programs can be covered. Lawyers help residents access Social Security, SSI, Medicare, Medicaid, health care, and other government benefit programs.
- Other civil (not traffic or criminal) problems can be covered by Colorado Legal Services firms.
- Immigration advice: They can provide assistance to help citizens and they can also help those who are (1) present in the U.S. and (2) have a so called acceptable "category" of immigration. These categories that are considered acceptable are complicated and a client will be assessed on a case by case basis. Some of them include Lawful Permanent Residents and Asylees, among other issues.
How does Colorado Legal Services help?
They offer a variety of services and resources to people who qualify for legal aid. The details will depend on the results of an interview done with the client. Most of the assistance is free, but some of it may come with minimal costs to the client.
- The organization may offer the client free legal advice from one of their attorneys about your problem.
- A well trained, experienced paralegal that is based in one of their offices may be able to help you.
- They may be able to help you file your own case in court. This includes completing all legal forms and scheduling a hearing date.
- If they can’t provide assistance, they may be able to refer you to a legal aid clinic, or to another program or agency that can help you with your case.
- A staff attorney in one of their offices may be able to assist you during a face to face consultation. Or they will offer advice over the phone, at no cost to the individual.
- An attorney who takes cases from them and who works for free may be able to help you.
Most of the assistance is free. You will not have to pay for the help that you get from Colorado Legal Services (CLS) if you meet certain limits of income. To determine this, CLS will need to looks at both your wages and your asset (including home, car, investment accounts, bank accounts, etc.) in order see if you qualify to be accepted for help by their program. The elderly can often receive assistance no matter what their income is.
Find a free lawyer or legal aid in Colorado
In addition, they will also need to look at the type of legal situation that you are having and whether or not they have the resources or expertise available to help you. If they do not have the tools a family needs, then they will provide a referral. Contact Colorado Legal Services at 303.837.1321 for free legal aid.