latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website


Rent assistance Champaign and Vermilion County.

Find several government organizations, churches, and charities that offer rental assistance to low-income qualified residents of Vermilion IL as well as Champaign County. Any type of support will depend on available funding levels, so money to pay housing costs is limited. Locate places to get help with paying rent near you in the Champaign County area as well as nearby Vermilion County.

There is a focus on helping single moms, disabled people and seniors in the county. Low-income tenants can get immediate rental assistance to stop an eviction. Other housing programs range from referrals to grant programs from a local town for utilities, section 8 HUD vouchers as well as a consultation from a free lawyer that helps tenants. Vermilion and Champagne County charities also operate transitional housing, no waiting list apartments and give a homeless person a motel voucher.

In addition to any direct financial aid, legal support can also be arranged. Some non-profit firms in the Champaign IL area will provide free counseling in an effort to stop an eviction. Many of the applicants to these programs benefit from a combination of these resources. So there may be funds to pay a portion of rent or say an energy bill and case managers will also work with the client to find other long term solutions to the housing crisis as well.

Organizations for rental or security deposit assistance in Champaign County IL region

Local community action agency - Champaign County Regional Planning Commission, has funds for rent, heating bills, and other housing solutions will be offered from this poverty fighting organization. The main office is at 1776 E. Washington Street, Urbana, IL 61802.  They also have housing programs focused on senior citizens. Homeless prevention programs, grants or loans for security deposits from rehousing and other support is given. Telephone - 217-819-4117 or (217) 328-3313.

Champaign Township Municipal office is located on 3900 Kearns Dr, Champaign, IL 61822. All applicants will need to have an eviction notice in order to apply for a loan. The money available can be used for a portion of rent to keep the family in their home. The number is (217) 352-9433.




East Central Illinois Community Action Agency, Inc. is located at 56 N. Vermilion Street, Danville, IL 61834. This non-profit supports both counties. Government grants that are part of CSBG can be used to pay rental costs or other housing expenses for low income families in a crisis. Case management and referrals to public aid is also available. Dial (217) 443-2705.

Love INC of Vermilion County gives referrals from a Clearing house. Low-income tenants can learn about local charities to get emergency funds to help pay rent or storage costs. There is free furniture for low-income tenants, homeless shelters, and even rental assistance for mobile home lots. The address is 100 N Franklin St, Danville, IL 61832. Leave a message at (217) 442-5683 for referrals.

Township programs - Vermilion and Champaign County
Local town government help the poor, unemployed, and homeless, including with housing. Limited rent or utility bill help, free basic needs, vouchers for a motel for people in a crisis or with no money and more. Each town only helps local residents.

  • Newell Township, 19 E. Liberty Lane, Danville, IL 61832. Call (217) 446-1321 - Residents of the town can only apply for financial aid (for energy bills, rent, or food) once per year.
  • Or another government agency is the Grant Township at 525 S. Market Street, Hoopeston, IL 60942-5221. Call (217) 283-5221.

Champaign-Urbana Tenant Union provides free attorneys. Get free legal aid is arranged as well as advice on housing disputes, including evictions or discrimination. Lawyers can offer rental assistance by way of a payment plan, mediate disputes, and more. Location is 44 E. Main Street, Room 208, Lincoln Building, Champaign, IL 61820, dial (217) 352-6220.

Crosspoint at the Y - Address: 201 N. Hazel Street, Danville, IL 61832. They offer shelter and transitional housing to women only, including single moms from Campaign or Vermilion. Phone (217) 446-1217.

Salvation Army of Champaign County is based at 502 N Prospect Ave, Champaign, IL 61820. The regional faith based charity. Based on donation levels, there can be funds for security deposits, back rent, free vouchers for a motel for the homeless and more. They also have an on site winter shelter. Dial (217) 373-7832. More on Salvation Army housing assistance in Champaign County.





Champaign County Legal Self-Help Center is based at the courthouse, 101 E Main St., Urbana, IL 61801. Call (217) 384-3725. The non-profit provides free legal aid, access to lawyers, and other support. They can help with rent matters, eviction defense, applications to benefits such as section 8 HUD housing and other civil legal matters.

  • Land-Lincoln Legal Foundation is another free, pro-bono volunteer law firm for low-income families. The office is at 302 N 1st St, Champaign, IL 61820. Call (217) 356-1351.
  • Other support is also provided. More on Legal Aid of Illinois.

Restoration Urban Ministries is located at 1213 Parkland Court, Champaign, Illinois 61821. For applicants that agree to case management, they can use the transitional housing site. Telephone - (217) 355-2662.

Section 8 vouchers from housing authorities
Both counties provide section 8 vouchers for the very-low income, with some no wait-list homes or apartments available. There are also programs for the disabled, veterans, and seniors on social security.
Section 8 vouchers as a form of rent subsidy are offered along with mortgage counseling and information on public housing/apartments, as well as emergency section 8.

  • Housing Authority of Champaign County, Main address is 2008 N Market St, Champaign, IL 61822, Champaign, IL 61820. Dial (217) 378-7100
  • Vermilion Housing Authority is at 1607 Clyman Lane, Danville, IL 61832. Main Phone: (217) 443-0621

St Patrick Catholic Church - Catholic Charities of Champaign only helps senior citizens. Most of the assistance is for basic needs, but a Good Samaritan fund may refer the elderly to housing, grant money for rent or home repairs and other services. Location is Address: 212 E Washington St, Tolono, IL 61880. Seniors only can call  (217) 485-5194.

PATH of Illinois provides help as well, including information on emergency housing and rent help for veterans from SSVF, homeless prevention and rehousing grant and other support. Call  (309) 828-1022


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site