latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Calaveras and Mariposa County assistance programs.

Find churches, charities, or government assistance programs that offer financial aid to struggling families or individuals. Find help with rent or security deposits, grants to pay mortgages, or emergency electric or utility bill help. There are also free groceries from food pantries as well as meals from soup kitchens.

Many Mariposa and Calaveras County residents struggle to pay for medical bills or do not have health insurance. Therefore find free medical or dental care for immigrants, the low income, and others. Learn where to apply for help and find how to get transportation, employment resources, free school supplies or Christmas gifts and other support.

Your local Human Services Department can help with energy bills, both in saving money on your monthly expenses and also in paying utilities.

Federal government funds that are issued as part of LIHEAP can assist with paying utility bills. The program can pay your recurring, monthly bill and a second component offers emergency assistance with an energy-related crisis. This includes help with a disconnection, energy-related life-threatening emergency as well as utility shut-off notices.

The second offering is home Weatherization. This is the main conservation program and it can improve your home and pay for the installation of updates. This can include insulation, furnace tune ups, caulking, and similar measures.

In order to apply for either of these, your county will require proof of current income for your entire household. Also bring copies of your most recent utility bills. Your human services department may also require additional documentation.

Calaveras County residents can apply at 509 East St. Charles Street, San Andreas, CA 95249. Call (209) 754-6448. Or dial or stop by Mariposa County Human Services Department. The office is at 5362 Lemee Ln., Mariposa, California 95338. Call (209) 966-2000 for information or an application.




The Calaveras and Mariposa Community Action Agency is another leading non-profit to call in the region. Among other resources, they administer the Community Services Block Grant. This is another government funded program for the low-income, those facing poverty and the disadvantaged. While some emergency aid may be offered, the focus is on helping people work towards self-sufficiency.

Child/Youth Services offered include tutoring, before/after school programs, mentoring, and also providing youth with information on scholarships and other opportunities. They can get assistance with working towards a high school certificate or diploma.

Some of the emergency assistance is as follows.

  • Free food from regional pantries or clothing distribution from thrift stores or clothing closets.
  • Utility and energy bill assistance.
  • Housing programs such as rental assistance and temporary shelter.
  • Other resources for Calaveras County can include legal assistance, health care, and transportation.
  • Homeless prevention programs for mortgages, tenants, home-buyers, and migrant workers. Find more details on rapid rehousing and programs to prevent homelessness.

Housing services will, among other things, place families into safe and affordable housing units. Or apply for conservation and/or weatherization or home rehabilitation.

Help for seniors includes in-home assistance or transportation to a doctor appointment or shopping trip in the Calaveras-Mariposa County region. Or learn about senior centers and free, congregate meal sites.

To learn more or apply, call the Calaveras and Mariposa Community Action Agency. There are multiple locations, but one of them is at 509 E. St. Charles St., San Andreas, California 95249. Call (209) 754-6576. The Mariposa office can be reached at (209) 966-3609.





The Central Valley Opportunity Center, or Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Agency also receives funding from the Community Services Block Grant. All assistance provided from this non-profit is for migrant and seasonal farmworkers in the region.

A major focus is on providing education and employment opportunities. This includes English language proficiency as well a help in getting a high school certificate or diploma. Some specific resources are free Job skills training, Resume preparation, Career education services, employment seeking resources, Interview preparation, and Job placement.

There are resources for people of all education levels, ages, and abilities in Mariposa and Calaveras County. Even immigrants or those with no degree (or GED only) can get help. The agency coordinates both free  training and job listings for clients. Call the Central Valley Opportunity Center, Incorporated in Winton, CA at (209) 357-0062.

A number of other assistance programs are offered for migrants. As funding and resources allow, emergency services offered are listed below.

  • Food, utility bill assistance, funds for paying rent, temporary shelter, and transportation assistance.
  • Homeless services include hotel or motel vouchers. Or explore eviction prevention and financial assistance.
  • Transportation services in Mariposa County can such as bus passes, free gasoline vouchers, and even driver's license assistance. Read more free gasoline.

Native American Indian Agency is known as the Northern California Indian Development Council, Inc.. The main office is at 241 F St., Eureka, California 95501. Call (707) 445-8451 for information. Many resources are offered for qualified Native Americans.

  • Child/Youth Services, including education and health care.
  • Emergency financial aid, such as rent and housing services and assistance.
  • Food/Nutrition Services will provide the needy and qualified households with surplus government commodities, meals, and applications for programs such as Cal-Fresh.





The Calaveras County food bank can provide free groceries, canned goods, and perishable items to needy families. They also have information on local pantries. San Andreas, CA 95249, telephone (209) 754-1257.

Additional charities or non-profits also operate food banks, pantries, or soup kitchens in the region, including Calaveras County. Anyone in need, whether low income or not, can get help. It may be a free box of groceries, applications to CalFresh or USDA programs, and more. Find locations of free food banks and pantries in California.

By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site