latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Rent assistance Bridgeport and Fairfield County Connecticut.

Get rental assistance in Fairfield County, including the cities of Bridgeport, Norwalk, and Stamford Connecticut. Find non-profit organizations, government agencies, churches, and charities that help with paying rent, security deposits or that offer free motel or housing vouchers. Locate rent assistance near you in Fairfield County CT.

In addition to the emergency rental assistance offered by the agencies, many provide more general housing services, including apartments for people with bad credit or senior apartments. Such as information on low income housing, referrals to local charities, mortgage and foreclosure counseling, security deposit grants, and free eviction prevention services. Counselors can often times help with landlord/tenant mediation.

It is important to call and apply for help early, before being served with an eviction notice. Or there are also loans offered, including to people with poor credit score. Find a listing of Bridgeport and Fairfield programs that can help pay rent below or that offer loans for people with poor credit.

Locate Fairfield County agencies that provide rental assistance

Alliance For Community Empowerment, Inc. provides financial help, housing resources and more. They were formerly known as the (Action for Bridgeport Community Development (ABCD)). The Alliance is the local Fairfield County community action agency that offers rental, housing, and other financial assistance. The programs they administer are focused on bringing the working poor and those in poverty into the mainstream and assisting them over the long term. So assistance, including for housing or rent needs, is offered both for short term hardships, and counseling is provided to deal with longer term concerns.

The rental payment program they run for the low income provides a limited amount of financial assistance towards a security deposit or first months rent. Additional payments may be made for individuals or families who can show they are qualified to sustain an apartment or home over the short to mid term. Address is 1070 Park Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06604.  Phone (203) 366-8241, or more information on Action for Bridgeport Community Development assistance programs.




Several churches operate in the Danbury Connecticut area as well as across the county. They are part of the Association of Religious Communities. These faith based organizations have limited funding, including for back rent, and it is only for Danbury and Greater Danbury tenants. The low income can apply to them for small dollar amount of financial help with paying security deposits. Other assistance may in fact be offered too, including refugee programs and utilities assistance. Call (203) 792-9450. The address is 24 Delay St, Danbury, CT 06810.

A non-profit known as LifeBridge Community Services, which has an office on 475 Clinton Avenue in Bridgeport, CT 06605, runs a couple different rent and housing programs. Some are focused on providing free foreclosure prevention. However the service in highest demand is emergency rent assistance. They focus any financial aid on individuals and families in Fairfield County who have eviction notices. Call (203) 368-4291

Elderly and/or disabled renters in Fairfield County can apply for the statewide rebate. The government provides hundreds of dollars in financial assistance (based on income and family size) to people with a low income and who are either (1) disabled or (2) seniors. Learn about the Fairfield County Renter’s Rebate for Elderly/Disabled Renters:, and dial (860)418-6377.

City of Bridgeport Health and Social Services can be reached at 203-610-8580 or (203) 332-3028. This is the local government agency. They have information on and administer various government assistance programs, including those grants from the state of Connecticut and the federal government. For example, they administer the homeless prevention and rapid rehousing program, and also have information on Section 8 housing vouchers in Connecticut.

The vast majority of aid is targeted at those applicants who are at imminent risk of homelessness or eviction. They are more likely to get help with rent, free motel vouchers, deposit assistance and more. For example, the applicant needs to be imminently at risk of becoming homeless within the next 6-15 days. They are given priority.





Connecticut Social Services is the state of Connecticut agency, with offices across Fairfield County, that administers a large number of both federal and state cash assistance programs. There is help for back rent for low income individuals and families with children, single mothers as well as individuals who are elderly or disabled. Cash can help pay rental or mortgage costs, they offer the RAP program, and can also provide access to the medical insurance program for the low income.

  • 342 Main St #1, Danbury, CT 06810. Phone: (203) 207-8900
  • 925 Housatonic Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06606-5700. Either dial (203) 551-2700 or (877) 551-2700
  • 1642 Bedford St, Stamford, CT 06905. Dial (203) 251-9300

Connecticut Legal Services, which is based at 1177 Summer St, Stamford, Connecticut 06905, provides free legal aid and consultation. They can offer eviction prevention, represent tenants in housing court, and deal with landlord-tenant disputes. The low income, poor, and seniors (no matter the age) can get free help. Call  (203) 348-9216.

Public Housing Authorities and Section 8 in Fairfield County is operated from multiple places. There is affordable, income based housing. The Section 8 HCV program will help low income families and those in poverty pay their rent, as long as it is matched by 30% of the tenants income. There is often a waiting list, but emergency section 8 may be offered to veterans, the disabled and in other cases.

  • Charter Oak Communities (COC), 22 Clinton Avenue, Stamford, CT 06901. Phone: 203.977.1400
  • Fairfield Housing Authority. Call (203) 331-8948
  • City of Bridgeport PHA is at 150 Highland Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06604. For details, call (203) 337-8900
  • City of Danbury section 8 HUD vouchers are from 2 Mill Ridge Road, Danbury CT. 06811. Call (203) 744-2500

CTE, Inc. is another community action agency. They offer financial and housing assistance programs in the following town and cities, including Bridgeport, Darien, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Monroe, New Canaan, Norwalk, Stamford, Stratford, Trumbull, Weston, Westport and Wilton. The not for profit is involved in providing rent and energy assistance, housing, counseling, crisis counseling, and trilingual services.

The housing counselors from CTE also represents and advocates on behalf of individuals and families who are needing assistance in relations between landlords and tenants, and with regard to problems with preventing eviction. 34 Woodland Ave, Stamford, Connecticut. Phone: (203) 327-3260




Salvation Army Social Services are offered in Fairfield County. There is emergency financial assistance (including for rent), grants for utility bills, possible free furniture and more. Various social services are offered, even including hotel vouchers, shelters, or transitional housing.

  • The Salvation Army of Danbury is at 129 Main St, Danbury, Connecticut 06810. Call (203) 456-6540
  • 14 Byington Pl, Norwalk, CT 06850 also has services, including emergency help. Call (203) 866-2125
  • 30 Elm St, Bridgeport, CT 06604. Main number is (203) 334-0995
  • Location is 198 Selleck St, Stamford, Connecticut 06902. Main number is (203) 359-2320

Catholic Charities has many assistance programs in Fairfield County. They include possible financial help, the Connecticut Collaborative on Re-Entry (CCR), Permanent Housing and Housing Opportunity for Persons with Aids (HOPWA). These all include government grants (including for rental payments), counseling, and support services. The church is at 238 Jewett Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06606. The phone number is (203) 416-1503.

EFPP is the Fairfield County Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention Program. Income qualified tenants or homeowners can apply for grants for rental arrears and other government money. In some cases, shelter, free motel vouchers for areas in Bridgeport, and deposit help is arranged. Find eviction and rehousing help in Fairfield County.

EFPP has a main intake site. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) certified housing agencies to call for free information on rent, housing, and mortgage assistance programs are the Bridgeport Neighborhood Trust (call 203-332-7977)

Community Action Committee of Danbury and Western Connecticut address of 78 Triangle St, Danbury, CT 06810, phone (203) 744-4700, offers eviction prevention programs and emergency rent help. They may also be able to help low income tenants buy their own home in the region.







Residents of Norwalk can call the following non-profits for rent help and information on housing resources. The two primary assistance programs are the Norwalk Economic Opportunity Now, located at 98 South Main Street in Norwalk Connecticut (dial (203) 663-7339 or (203) 899-2420) as well as Christian Community Now. (phone (203) 777-7848 or (203) 899-2485).

Between the two locations they can either provide very low interest rate loans, or in some cases direct cash grants. Also get referrals to other federal government and Fairfield County charity type organizations.

Bridge Fund Loan Program from Alpha Community Services YMCA is part of the Homelessness Prevention And Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP). It focuses on case management. Funds can be used to pay rent or moving costs. Qualified applicants can also get money for paying security deposits, moving cost assistance, credit repair, and even financial assistance for paying energy bills and utility deposits. Call (203) 366-2809


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You















Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site