Baltimore free clothing closets.
Residents that need free or affordable clothes in Baltimore can turn to a thrift store or clothing closet. Most are operated by non-profit organizations, including churches, charities, and even government affiliated organizations. The items offered range from free school supplies to furniture, clothes for work or school, winter attire, and much more. Many people use the centers in the county or those in the city of Baltimore. It can help them meet their needs and free up their hard earned money for other bills.
Basic needs, such as coats, shoes, baby supplies, and work items may be available at a free clothing closet. Some centers go above and beyond and even operate Christmas and holiday programs as well, which can include toys, gifts, and similar items. A thrift store will generally sell affordable, gently used furniture and household items too. In addition, many of the Baltimore locations have referrals and maybe even financial support too.
Baltimore County Department of Social Services
700 East Joppa Road
The organization runs a coat closet. The program is usually offered each year by the Baltimore County Fire Department. They are involved in distributing free coats to needy kids, students, children and adults during the holidays and Thanksgiving week. There will be referrals to free back to school supply assistance programs as well for low income parents with kids. More on public assistance in Baltimore.
Homestead UMC Service Center
1500 Gorsuch Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
Telephone - 410-243-4419
Holiday assistance, such as gifts, meals and toys, are available. Other resources include a soup kitchen, food pantry, and clothing closet. You need to have an ID and apply for help.
St. Vincent de Paul of Baltimore
Address: 2305 North Charles Street Suite 300
Baltimore MD, 21218
A service known as a mobile clothing bank is available. The charity and its volunteers distribute personal care items, clothing, and blankets to persons who are homeless or very low income. Local churches assist in the effort as well.
Lutheran Mission Society of Maryland
438 Eastern Boulevard
Essex MD, 21221
Call 877-737-8567 for hours.
Clothing, housewares, furniture, small appliances, and books may be passed out. Or anything else that was donated. They also help students from low income households. The charity passes out free school, school supplies including bags or backpacks, uniforms, and other items for students in Kindergarten to high school.
Goodwill Industries of the Chesapeake
There are several centers around Baltimore County and all of Maryland for that matter. The local addresses are below. A thrift store sells used clothing, furniture, shoes, winter hats, and other household items at minimal costs to the general public. Anyone can shop there. They can also help by placing people into part time, temporary work.
- 5620 The Alameda, Baltimore MD 21239, 410-323-6638
- 7928 Eastern Boulevard, Baltimore Maryland 21224, dial 410-282-8750
- Location is 715 South Broadway Street, Baltimore MD 21231, dial 410-327-2211
- 5201 Belair Road, Baltimore MD 21206, telephone 410-325-1940
- Address is 6999 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville MD 21215. Dial this Goodwill at 410-358-8411
- 859-865 East Fort Avenue, Baltimore MD 21230, call 410-783-2995
- 3101 Greenmount Avenue, Baltimore Maryland 21218, main phone 410-467-7505
Waters AME Church
417 North Aisquith Street
Baltimore MD, 21202
Main phone number is 410-675-2640
Bea Gaddy Family Center
425 North Chester Street
Baltimore MD, 21231-1635
Call the non-profit at 410-563-2749.
Some of the programs available include an emergency shelter as well as a clothing closet which has free clothes for students, men, women, and children. School supplies, toiletries, shoes and gloves may be distributed too.
Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
The clothing bank is at 1429 Mcculloh Street
Baltimore MD, 21217
Call - 410-728-2557
Payne Memorial Church
1701 Madison Avenue
Baltimore Maryland, 21217
Telephone number - 410-462-3800
Location - 1501 North Dukeland Street
Baltimore MD, 21216
Phone - 410-566-5007
Salvation Army, Baltimore County Family Services
814 Light Street
Baltimore MD, 21230
An extensive number of assistance programs and social services are offered. Some examples are below, but you can call the center for more details.
- A thrift store sells items to the public. Furniture vouchers are provided on a case by case basis for free goods.
- A Mobile food pantry serves meals, groceries, and more.
- Christmas/Holiday assistance includes toys for children, gifts, coats, and other special items. Resources include the Angel Tree and more. Vouchers are offered for free good and meals too.
- Other social services include free backpacks and school supplies, life skills training, referrals, emergency financial aid, budgeting classes and more.
- A formal application process is in place by the Salvation Army. You will need ID, proof of income, and more.
- Find other Salvation Army assistance programs in Baltimore.
Southwest Emergency Services
1201 Maple Avenue
Baltimore MD, 21227-2639
Main number is 410-247-8154
The non-profit may have furniture and household goods for the low income, poor and homeless. A clothing closet and thrift store is offered and sells clothing, winter coats, diapers, and much more. The agency also assists with back to school items for children in August.
Brooklyn Seventh-Day Adventist Church
Clothing bank address is 3533 Fourth Street
Baltimore Maryland, 21225
Main telephone number for clothing distribution is 410-354-0027
Resources include a soup kitchen, clothing closet, referrals and more.
Baltimore Free Store
1413 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore MD, 21223
Free stuff, including furniture, baby cribs or maternity clothes, back to school items, books, laptops, and other goods.