Homeless prevention assistance in Arapahoe County.

Tenants that are struggling to stop an eviction in Arapahoe County can receive support from a regional homeless prevention program. This resource not only helps keep low to moderate income families in their current home or apartment, but it also rehouses the homeless into either a motel or more permanent location. Assistance for preventing an eviction extends across the county, with more of the resources focused on the cites of Aurora as well as Littleton.

The aid offered is extensive. There are various programs, including ESG grants to pay for rental or utility bill arrears, free motel vouchers, support for single mothers and senior citizens, and also legal aid. Depending on the agency that the person is applying too, which the local United Way referral line can have information on, the solutions provided will vary.

Assistance for preventing an eviction in Arapahoe County

There are several non-profit agencies as well as charities that may offer rental assistance and/or other housing related services. The list can change each week, but the Mile High United Way's 2-1-1 Help Center will have the latest information on who may have funding and how to apply. Referrals are given, and low income tenants or the currently homeless can then learn about the application process for rent help or other grant based programs. Other organization that offer help is the one that administers SSVF, which can support both veterans and their families in Arapahoe County.

The goal is to always keep the Arapahoe County family as well as individual off the streets, in their home. If there is no funding available, then referrals may be given to learn more about the eviction process and temporary shelter options. In addition to those services, there is an eviction prevention program that is a last resort, and it combines free legal support for defending a tenant against a landlord that has issued an eviction notice with additional assistance. Some of the non-profits in the region may also have access to some financial help.

Individuals who need information on receiving assistance with housing related services such as rental assistance, legal information, and more can contact Mile High United Way's 2-1-1 Help Center by dialing 2-1-1 or (866)-760-6489 to learn about the resources within their community.  Through an assessment, 2-1-1 Navigators will also be able to identify and connect individuals with other resources, such as government benefits to job placement services.





Programs to help the homeless

Much of this is similar to what is noted above. One of the leading resources available is the Emergency Solution Grant program (ESG). It will give anyone that is homeless, or that needs to be rehoused, support if they meet all of the qualifications in place. Another focus is to assist tenants with an eviction notice that have had a change in their income. As in these instances the applicant may need to be rehoused/resettled into a new, more affordable location.

For those that qualify and if funding is available, they can be given a grant for paying for many of their housing needs. It can pay for deposits, whether for utility connections or rental costs. If the family is not ready to be moved into a new home, then the cash can instead be used to provide the client with a motel or hotel voucher. When applying to the Mile High United Way's 2-1-1 Help Center for an assessment, all application criteria need to be met, which can include the following.

  • The applicant's income needs to be able to pay for future rental, winter heating, and year round utilities.
  • The client can't have been recently arrested.
  • If a loan is issued from Home of Our Own, some minimal credit scores need to be satisfied.
  • Past evictions will also harm the applicant.
  • A focus is on the disabled, senior citizens, as well as veterans in the community.




Arapahoe County residents that are enrolled into an ESG grant based program will also get help in maintaining their new, permanent rental housing. Note all funds are limited, and only referrals are given. To enroll, or request more information, call (866)-760-6489 to reach the Aurora based service.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy