latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental assistance in Anoka County

Several agencies provide rental assistance to Anoka County families and Blaine area tenants that are in a crisis. Most of the financial aid for housing is targeted at special groups, such as senior citizens, single mothers or veterans, with some funds for the disabled as well. However, exceptions can always be made. The leading charities, churches or government agencies to call for help with paying rent, a deposit or for eviction prevention services are below.

The money used to fund these programs can come from government grants or some of the agencies raise money from the community. Any assistance for paying rent or a portion of a security deposit will come with conditions, such as the tenant needs to participate in case management. In addition, there are other temporary housing solutions, HUD section 8 vouchers as well as homeless shelters in Anoka County for residents.

It is recommended to call an organization for rent help (or even grants to pay utilities) before an eviction notice has been sent. If one of these organizations can't meet the request, they will offer referrals or other support.

Anoka County Health and Human Services is located at 2100 3rd Ave, Anoka, Minnesota, 55303. The government agency may offer funds for rent expenses and housing costs. They also offer short term accommodations,  such as shelter or free motel vouchers, can be provided by a program known as EGA. This is only for working poor families that are facing a crisis. Call Phone - (763) 422-7200.

Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Anoka is a regional charity. Call (612) 204-8500 for information. The regional, church based charity offers everything from rental programs to heating oil, medications, and a thrift store. A goal is to stop homelessness in Anoka and nearby counties.

Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program can be called at 763-324-1215. Low-income renters, the homeless, and people with an eviction notice will be given referrals. Learn about government grant money for paying rental arrears, emergency eviction prevention services, Housing First Programs or even free furniture for an apartment. The program is also known as Anoka County Housing Resource.

Tenants Advocacy and Information - Community Stabilization Project (dial (651) 225-8778). Housing advice is for low income families, immigrants, and those facing eviction or living in unsafe homes or apartments.




Judicare of Anoka County, Inc. - Address is 1201 89th Ave NE # 310, Blaine, Minnesota 55434. For legal consultations, call (763) 783-4970.  Free legal aid is for low income residents. This can include resolving disputes over unpaid rent, evictions, and civil matters in regardless to homelessness. Lawyers can also help with disputes over security deposits or provide help in applying for benefits such as section 8.

The Salvation Army - Northern Division of Dakota County is an option. Phone - (763) 755-6873. Funds, ranging from government grants to no-interest loans, can be used for back rent to stop an eviction. The non-profit offers many other services, ranging from holiday help to transitional shelter, motel vouchers, storage fee help and referrals to security deposit programs. The location is 1201 89th Ave NE, Blaine, Minnesota 55434.

Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans (MACV). Call (612) 726-1327 for information on Support and Prevention Services for Veterans or SSVF. Grants for housing costs (rent, mortgages or utilities); job training programs; moving cost help and more. They help veterans apply for VA benefits too.

Anoka County branch of Minnesota Housing Finance Agency can be reached at (651) 296-7608. The government agency operates statewide as well. Grants for energy costs, rent, and more is available. Or apply for section 8.  Clients can be seniors or disabled as well.

Senior Information Line of Anoka County - Call the free service at (763) 783-4707. The elderly can get information on housing, include HUD units and referrals to financial aid for housing or rent costs. Location is 1201 89th Avenue NE, Blaine, MN 55434.

Anoka County Community Action Program operates a housing hotline at 763-783-4730. Get information on transitional housing, subsidized units for the disable or elderly, budging programs and more. They also have grant resources for rent or other bills from 1201 89th Ave NE #345, Blaine, MN 55434. Read more on Community Action Anoka County financial assistance programs.





Stepping Stone Emergency Shelter - Housing is for women (and children) who need a safe place to stay, such as DV victims/survivors. Location is 3300 4th Avenue North #14, Anoka, Minnesota 55303. Call (763) 323-7006

Anoka County Housing Help Desk is a free service. The call center can provide linkage to numerous resources. Whether it is winter shelter or one time help for rent or other moving costs, such as a security deposit, there are charities or government social services that can help. All of the information on housing programs is free. Call 763-324-1490.

Volunteers of America of Dakota County (dial (763) 427-2022) is a regional charity. They have a small number of low income apartments for senior citizens, disabled, or veterans. The main address is  3101 111th Ave NW, Coon Rapids, Minnesota 55433.


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page