Anderson County assistance programs.
The agencies below offer needy residents several different emergency financial assistance programs and information on where to turn to for help.
Community Services, Inc. is the local community action agency. Some of the programs offered include the following. The agency is located in Palestine and can be reached at (800)831-9929.
- Utility and cooling bill assistance and grants. Utility providers included in the program include TXU, Reliant, SWEPCO (American Electric Power Co.), Kinetic Energy, Star Texas Power, Direct Energy, Entergy, FEC Electric, Freedom Power, Gexa Energy, Tarn Energy, Texas Power, Trinity Valley Electric Co-op, and Wood County Co-op.
- Free Weatherization improvements to homes which help people conserve energy and save money.
- Direct Client Services provide limited assistance with limited shelter, tuition, fees and books for individuals seeking degrees/training certificates.
- Limited gasoline assistance for individuals who are traveling 25 miles or greater one way for college/training, a job interview, and they can provide one time assistance for emergency medical transportation to appointments 50 miles or greater one way.
- Programs to help stop evictions. Anderson County families may receive applications to government grant programs for paying rent or the costs involved to move into a new home, such a security deposit.
Other resources may include applications to public aid such as food stamps or CEAP for paying electric bills. The Community Services agency also provides extensive information and referrals. Learn more.
Sanctuary House offers low income discounted or free clothing, some furniture, referrals to local agencies and charities if the non-profit cannot assist with need, medical equipment loan program and utility bills assistance when funds available. Call (903)723-2930
First Resource Center, which is also based in Palestine Texas, offer qualified low income residents and the working poor access to the following. (903)731-9270
- Public food bank for free groceries, food stuffs, and holiday meals.
- Emergency financial aid for past due electric bills and utility service disconnection assistance.
- Gasoline for emergencies, including medical appointments.
- Non-maintenance prescription medication.
- Emergency car repairs for people who need a car for their job or medical emergency.
- Low cost or free prescription eye glasses.
- School supplies, GED fees, school assistance, and drivers license fees.
Grace Family Bible Church Food Pantry offers free food to anyone in need of help. Call (903)876-4048
Palestine Community Food Pantry provides assistance to any person in Anderson County Texas who needs help. Dial (903)723-5406