Emergency assistance from Salvation Army in California.
The Salvation Army in California may be able to provide financial assistance in an emergency. Services range from housing, rental assistance, food, to funds for paying utility bills and more. One of the primary missions of the Salvation Army is to alleviate human suffering and address the economic, social, and emotional well-being of the low income and struggling individuals and families in California. The agency will support qualified low income families, regardless of their race, religion, or age.
Volunteers and case managers from the Salvation Army centers listed below try to empower people so they can become self-sufficient. The non-profit bases its various services and financial assistance on local community needs. They also partner with other non-profits and charities in addressing the needs of the low income.
In order to help as many people as possible across California with their oftentimes unique needs, the Salvation Army's social service programs may vary slightly with the numerous regional and local needs. Family service programs help needy individuals and families with emergency free food, Christmas programs, housing, utility bill assistance and other temporary needs. Some of the emergency assistance programs administered are listed below.
Housing for low income and homeless – Some of the resources available in California include transitional living centers, low income apartments, and emergency shelters. These locations can offer affordable housing on a temporary basis. Families that use the housing services will also be able to qualify for case management, which can include assistance with find a job, permanent housing, and other support.
Assistance for utility, electric, and water bills - Helping families across California pay their electric and water bills has prevented families from facing evictions and allowed them time to get back on track. This utility assistance is one of the more effective ways that the Salvation Army in California has helped struggling families maintain basic amenities. Find more utility assistance programs in California. Salvation Army case managers and workers may be able to help you apply for those resources.
The Salvation Army in California helps families keep food on their tables. A number of food and grocery assistance programs are administered. Free groceries, baby formula, and perishable goods are just a few examples of what may be distributed. Assistance is offered through both food pantries and soup kitchens. Some meals may even be delivered by volunteers to seniors or the homebound.
Emergency rental assistance – People who are on the verge of eviction may get a helping hand in maintaining their housing and paying their rent or deposits. Direct financial assistance may be paid out by the Salvation Army to help families across California pay their rent and maintain their homes or apartments Those families facing homelessness will receive priority of any available funds.
Holiday assistance, including Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, may be provided. The holidays can bring both added emotional and financial stress for families in need. Children can also be even more impacted by the holidays. So the Salvation Army in California offers a number of services to help families and individuals make it through the holiday seasons. Free meals or food boxes may be provided for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Also, without the Salvation Army and its programs such as the Angel Tree and other gift giving programs, many children would be without toys at Christmas. In some areas, prepared holiday meals and food boxes are delivered to the homes of people who need help.
Transportation and gasoline vouchers – California typically has some of the highest gasoline prices in the country. From time to time the Salvation Army may provide vouchers for free gas or other transportation assistance, such as money for car repairs.
This service is very limited. A number of qualifications need to be met, and usually gas or repairs are provided in an emergency only. The Salvation Army center may help if someone needs fuel for a job interview or doctor appointment, such as a client with a disability. Also sometimes a volunteer may be able to drive someone to an appointment, including senior citizens. Find other sources of free gas, though resources are limited.
Case management and advice – Get counseling and support, including education, housing counseling, access to health care and specific job training. The Salvation Army seeks to meet the needs of such groups as single parents, pregnant teens, emancipated minors, disabled, working poor, and wards of the juvenile court. If more support is needed, finding a listing of government disability programs.
Employment services are offered at some California locations. A case worker can provide access to a computer, information on local employers, and maybe resume review and similar advice. This service is offered in California as part of over job training. While limited, vouchers may be offered to pay for gasoline or bus tokens if you need it for a job interview. For more information on skill building programs, find California job training programs.
Seminars, meals, activities, and other programs are offered and wide ranging. Examples include day care, educational classes, free hot-lunch programs, credit counseling and pre-retirement seminars are just couple examples. Each local center will coordinate its own services.
Salvation Army locations in California
- HAYWARD, Salvation Army Corps Community Center, 430 "A" Street, Hayward, CA 94541-5014, 510-581-6444
- OAKLAND CHINATOWN, CA - Corps Community Center, 379 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94607, 510-645-9710
- OAKLAND GARDEN CENTER - 2794 Garden Street, Oakland, California 94601-1314, 510-534-2303
- If one of these centers is not convenient to you, then several other Salvation Army centers operate in the greater Oakland and northern California area. Read Salvation Army resources in Alameda County.
- CHICO - Stop by the center at 567 E. 16th Street (NO MAIL/DELIVERIES), Chico, California 95928-6118, or dial 530-342-2199 #5
- OROVILLE - 1901 Oroville Dam Boulevard East Oroville, CA, call (530) 534-9556
- Many other social services are provided by the ministry. Read more Oroville Salvation Army assistance programs.
- COLUMBIA, CA, phone (209) 532-4763
- CLEARLAKE - 14420 Lakeshore Dr, telephone number is (707) 995-1128
- MARYSVILLE, 408 J St, dial (530) 742-0892
Contra Costa County
- ANTIOCH - 620 East Tregallas Road, Antioch, California 94509, dial 925-778-0808
- CONCORD - 3950 Clayton Road Concord, California 94521, telephone (925) 676-6180
- EL SOBRANTE, CA – Salvation Army Corps Community Center
- Read more Contra Costa Salvation Army assistance.
El Dorado County
- PLACERVILLE, CA Salvation Army center. Call (530) 672-3147 for intake. The center will offer information on free Christmas toys, shelter for domestic abuse survivors, loan programs, and other financial help. Click more information.
- CLOVIS, California - Corps Community Center, 210 Barstow Avenue, Clovis, CA 93612-2226, 559-298-6797
- FRESNO CITADEL, Corps Community Center, 1914 Fulton Street, Fresno, CA 93721-1017, 559-233-0139
- Low income families, seniors, and families with children and some of the main beneficiaries of the Salvation Army resources. Learn more.
- CHICO - The address is 567 E 16th St, CA, call (530) 342-6780
- EUREKA - 2123 Tydd Street Eureka, CA 95501, main telephone (707) 442-6475. Everything from worship services to free school supplies, clothing, and counseling is arranged. Find help from Humboldt County Salvation Army.
- EL CENTRO, CA - 375 North 5th Street, El Centro, dial (760) 353-4880. Some of what may be provided includes assistance for senior citizens, free food, clothing, and utility bill help. More details.
- BISHOP - 621 W Line St # 106, Bishop, California dial (760) 872-2124
- BAKERSFIELD - Main address is 4417 Wilson Road, Bakersfield, California 93309-4972. Or dial 661-836-8487
- RIDGECREST - Corps Community Center, 151 North Downs Street, Ridgecrest, California 93555-5402, 760-375-7219
- Click Kern County Salvation Army.
- HANFORD - 380 East Ivy Street Hanford, California 93230, telephone number is (559) 582-4434
- CLEARLAKE, 14420 Lakeshore Dr, CA 95422, telephone number of the Salvation Army center is (707) 995-1128
- SUSANVILLE - 55 S Weatherlow St, Californoa 96130. Phone (530) 257-0314
Los Angeles County
- BELL LIGHTHOUSE - 5600 Rickenbacker Rd. 2a/b, Bell, CA 90201-6418, Phone: 323-263-1206
- BELLFLOWER TEMPLE, California – Salvation Army Corps Community Center
- BURBANK - 300 E. Angeleno Avenue, Burbank, California 91502-1311, 818-845-7214
- COMPTON – Salvation Army, Corps Community Center, 736 East Compton Boulevard Compton, CA 90221, dial (310) 639-0362
- EAST LOS ANGELES TEMPLE, 140 N. Eastman Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90063-2304, 323-263-7577
- GLENDALE, CA - Corps Community Center, 320 W. Windsor Road, Glendale, California 91204-2053, 818-246-5586
- HOLLYWOOD TEMPLE, CA - Corps Community Center, 5941 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, California 90028-5409, 323-960-0640
- INGLEWOOD CITADEL, California - 324 East Queen Street Inglewood, call (310) 677-3375 for help.
- LANCASTER - 44517 Sierra Highway, Lancaster, CA 93534, 661-948-3418
- LONG BEACH CITADEL - 1370 Alamitos Avenue, Long Beach, CA, (562) 218-2355
- LOS ANGELES CENTRAL, California - 906 South Francisco Street, Los Angeles, CA 90015-1320, 213-896-9178
- LOS ANGELES KOREAN, CA - Corps Community Center, 933 S. Hoover Street, Los Angeles, CA 90006-1908, 213-480-0714
- PASADENA TABERNACLE - Corps Community Center, 960 E. Walnut Street, Pasadena, California 91106-1446, 626-773-4400
- POMONA - 490 East La Verne Avenue, Pomona, California, phone (909) 623-1579
- REDONDO BEACH - 4001 Inglewood Avenue, Redondo Beach, main number is (310) 675-3047
- SAN FERNANDO VALLEY - For information on Salvation Army emergency programs in this California community, dial 211.
- SAN GABRIEL, California - 125 East Valley Boulevard San Gabriel, (626) 288-8846
- SAN PEDRO TEMPLE, CA – Salvation Army Corps Community Center
- SANTA MONICA, - Corps Community Center, 1533 4th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401-2310, 310-451-1358
- SUN VALLEY TEMPLE, California - Corps Community Center
- TORRANCE - 4223 Emerald Street, Torrance, CA 90503-3093, 310-370-4515
- WHITTIER, CA - 7926 Pickering Avenue, (562) 698-8348
- Low income families throughout the Los Angeles region have access to additional Salvation Army programs and services. More Salvation Army programs in Los Angeles.
Madera County region, including Tuolumne, Mariposa, and Mono
- A few Salvation Army centers are in this region and can help the working poor. If not convenient for you, call for referrals. Get more details.
- SAN RAFAEL, California - 351 Mission Avenue, San Rafael, CA 94901-3424, 415-459-4520
- MERCED - This is the closest center. 1440 W 12th St, (209) 383-4225
- UKIAH - Location is 714 S State St, Ukiah, CA 95482. Dial (707) 468-9577. There is both emergency assistance as well as more practical items given out for free, such as gift certificates for school supplies and much more. Click more information.
- MERCED, CA – Salvation Army Corps Community Center operates in this city as well. Dial (209) 383-4225 for information on their services.
- BISHOP - 621 W Line St. Main number: (760) 872-21247
- MONTEREY PENINSULA - 1491 Contra Costa Street, Seaside, CA, (831) 899-4911
- SALINAS - 2460 North Main Street, Salinas, CA, (831) 443-9655
- Find additional information on resources that are available. This can include free food, short term housing, and financial aid for energy bills. Continue with Monterey Salvation Army programs.
- GRASS VALLEY, California - 10725 Alta Street Grass Valley, CA 95945, phone number (530) 274-3500
- ANAHEIM PRAISEWORKS, California - Corps Community Center & Red Shield Youth/Family Center
- ANAHEIM TEMPLE - 201 East Cypress Street, Anaheim, CA and phone number is (714) 778-5462
- SANTA ANA TEMPLE, CA - 1710 West Edinger Avenue Santa Ana, California 92704, (714) 979-3482
- TUSTIN RANCH, California - 10200 Pioneer Road, Tustin, CA 92782, 714-832-7100
- Several other sites and programs may be available in Orange County. Read more.
- AUBURN, Corps Community Center, 286 Sutter Street, Auburn, phone number (530) 889-3990
- ROSEVILLE, CA - Corps Community Center, address: 100 Lincoln Street, Roseville, CA 95678-2612, 916-784-3382. Free food, rental assistance, job programs, and other aid is offered by the Placer County Salvation Army centers. Click here more details.
- CATHEDRAL CITY (Dick and Beverly Davis Center), CA - Dick and Beverly Davis Corps Community Center
- HEMET - The address is 340 S. Palm Hemet in Riverside, California 92543. Phone number is 951-791-9497.
- MORENO VALLEY, CA - Corps Community Center, 14068 Graham Avenue, Moreno Valley, CA 92553-8816, 951-653-9131
- MURRIETA, California – Salvation Army Corps Community Center, 40270 Los Alamos Road, Murrieta, CA 92562, 951-677-1324
- RIVERSIDE - 3695 - 1st Street, Riverside, CA 92501-2501, 951-784-4490
- If a location is not near you, then call a center for referrals. Case managers can direct qualified individuals to additional financial assistance programs. Continue.
- SACRAMENTO CITADEL, CA - 1615 D Street, Sacramento, (916) 441-5267
- SACRAMENTO KOREAN, CA - Corps Community Center, address is 3755 North Freeway Boulevard, Sacramento, (916) 563-3700
- Those are just two of the sites in the county. Several other Salvation Army centers can help the needy. Learn more.
San Benito County
- HOLLISTER - Address is 910 Buena Vista Road Hollister, CA 95023, or call (831) 636-9832
San Bernardino County
- ONTARIO, CA - Corps Community Center, 1412 S. Euclid Avenue, Ontario, CA 91762-5816, dial 909-986-6748
- REDLANDS - 838 Alta Street Redlands, California 92374, phone (909) 792-6868
- SAN BERNARDINO CITADEL - 2084 East Highland Avenue, San Bernardino, main number is (909) 503-6782. Call for information.
- VICTOR VALLEY - Salvation Army Corps Community Center, 14585 La Paz Drive, Victorville, CA 92392-4222, call 760 245-2545
- Find additional locations.
San Diego County
- CENTRE CITY, Corps Community Center of the Salvation Army, 825 - 7th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101-6304, 619-699-2200
- CHULA VISTA - 648 3rd Ave Chula Vista, CA 91910-5700, dial (619) 422-8825
- EL CAJON, Salvation Army Corps Community Center, 1011 E. Main Street, El Cajon, CA 92021-6295, primary phone number 619-440-4683
- ESCONDIDO, 1301 Las Villas Way Escondido, California 92026, main number is (760) 745-8616
- OCEANSIDE, California - Salvation Army Corps Community Center is located at 3935 Lake Boulevard Oceanside, zip 92056. Call (760) 631-8212
- SAN DIEGO CITADEL - 4170 Balboa Avenue, San Diego, CA 92117-4600, 858-483-1831
- SAN DIEGO - Corps Community Center, 6845 University Avenue, San Diego, CA 92115-5829, 619-287-5762
- SANTA FE SPRINGS, California - Salvation Army Corps Community Center is located at 12015 Lakeland Road, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670, (562) 946-7717.
- TRI-CITIES, - Corps Community Center
- If you need help in a crisis, call a location as soon as possible. Find other Salvation Army resources in San Diego.
San Francisco County
- SAN FRANCISCO CHINATOWN - Salvation Army located at 1450 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94133-3844, 415-781-7360
- KOREAN ENTER, California - Corps Community Center
- SAN FRANCISCO MISSION – Salvation Army has a branch here too. 3921 Geary Boulevard, San Francisco, CA, (415) 876-6390
- SOUTH OF MARKET, CA - 360 Fourth Street, San Francisco, California 94107-1220, dial the agency at 415-777-2677
- SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO CITADEL, CA - 409 South Spruce Ave. South San Francisco, California 94080-5959, call the center at (650) 266-4591
- SOUTHEAST COMMUNITIES, CA - Corps Community Center
- The Salvation Army may offer grants and funds for paying rent in a crisis. Several other services are offered for the poor and homeless, including food and housing. Read more San Francisco Salvation Army assistance.
San Joaquin County
- LODI - 622 North Sacramento Street, Lodi, CA, (209) 367-9560
- STOCKTON, Salvation Army Corps Community Center, 1305 E. Weber Avenue, Stockton, CA 95205-4920, 209-948-8959
- Services offered include shelter, Christmas meals, funds for rent or paying utility bills, and referrals to regional non-profits. Get more information on resources in San Joaquin County.
San Luis Obispo County
- SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA - 815 Islay Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, 805-544-2401
- Additional centers are located in the region. Read more on San Louis Obispo.
San Mateo County
- REDWOOD CITY, CA Salvation Army branch is at 660 Veteran Blvd., Redwood City, CA 94063, 650-368-4643
- Other locations support low income families. Read more.
Santa Barbara County
- SANTA BARBARA, California – Salvation Army Corps Community Center is located at 4849 Hollister Avenue in Goleta. Telephone (805) 964-8738
- SANTA MARIA - 211 East Fesler Street Santa Maria, California 93454, phone (805) 349-2421
- Thousands of families receive food, groceries, and financial aid from these locations. Other services, including case management and employment resources, are available. More on Santa Barbara Salvation Army programs.
Santa Clara County
- GILROY - 200 5th Street, Gilroy, CA, (408) 848-5373
- SAN JOSE TEMPLE - 359 North 4th Street, San Jose, main number is (408) 282-1165
- SANTA CLARA CITADEL, 3090 Homestead Road Santa Clara, CA 95051, call (408) 556-9054
- SUNNYVALE/MOUNTAIN VIEW, Corps Community Center, 1161 S. Bernardo Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94087-2058, 408-720-0420
- A focus of the centers is on homeless prevention. Funds for paying rent, utility bills, and housing costs may be provided. Click more details.
Santa Cruz County
- SANTA CRUZ, Corps Community Center, 721 Laurel Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060-4936, phone number 831-426-8365
- WATSONVILLE - 112 Grant Street, Watsonville, California 95076-5027, 831-724-3922
- REDDING, CA - 4460 Westside Road, Redding, phone (530) 244-2296
- NEVADA CITY - 20864 Rector Rd, Nevada City, California, (530) 264-4700
- YREKA. Location is 501 N Main St, Yreka, CA 96097. Call (530) 842-7321 for information on services.
- SUISUN CITY - 586 East Wigeon Way Suisun City, CA 94585, call (707) 439-7880
- To learn more on their programs, click here.
- PETALUMA, CA – Salvation Army food bank, thrift store, and financial assistance center.
- SANTA ROSA, CA - 93 Stony Circle, Santa Rosa, CA 95401, 707-542-0981
- If you need help and live in the area, volunteers and staff from these Salvation Army offices may be able to help. Learn more on their assistance programs.
- MODESTO CITADEL, California - Corps Community Center, 625 "I" Street, Modesto, California 95354-2225, 310-265-6113
- TURLOCK, CA - Corps Community Center, 893 Lander Avenue, Turlock, California 95380-5815, 209-667-6091
- Some of what may be offered includes clothing, a food pantry, the Angel Tree program, vouchers for gasoline (for job interviews) and much more. Continue with resources available in Stanislaus County.
- YUBA CITY - Corps Center is at 401 Del Norte Ave, Yuba City, CA 95991, dial (530) 671-7283
- RED BLUFF, CA - Corps Community Center, 940 Walnut Street, Red Bluff, CA 96080-3708, dial 530-527-8530
- TULARE, Salvation Army located at 314 East San Joaquin Avenue Tulare, CA 93274, call for information (559) 687-2520
- VISALIA, Salvation Army, Corps Community Center, 1501 W. Main Street, Visalia, California 93291-5820, 559-733-2784
- To learn more of these offices, click here.
- COLUMBIA Salvation Army center can be reached at (209) 532-4763.
- OXNARD/PORT HUENEME, CA - Corps Community Center, 622 West Wooley Road Oxnard, California 93030, telephone (805) 483-9235
- VENTURA - 650 S. Petit Avenue, Ventura, California 93004-2265, 805-659-3598
- Additional social services are provided by Salvation Army centers in the Ventura region. Click here.
- WOODLAND - 438 College St, Woodland, CA 95695, Phone:(530) 662-6129. Some of what may be available includes eviction prevention in the form of rent help or funds for paying security deposits, free groceries, and more for low income families. Click more information.
- YUBA/SUTTER, - Salvation Army 401 Del Norte Avenue (Deliveries ONLY), Yuba City, CA 95991, 530-216-4530