Salvation Army Fresno emergency assistance.
Social Services and case management staff at Fresno Salvation Army centers assist families and individuals with addressing a number of emergency assistance programs and provide various family Services. Food, Christmas gifts, utility bill assistance, and funds for paying rent to prevent an eviction are some examples of what qualified Fresno families can receive.
- Hundreds of households have been able to keep their lights on, as funds were made available to help pay utilities. Programs can help with paying PG&E and other electric bills.
- Over the years emergency food, much of it free, was provided to over 100,000 residents.
- Each and every day, programs from the Salvation Army in Fresno have provided Eviction Prevention services, utility and electric Bill Assistance, Emergency Food and Grocery Assistance as well as government commodity distribution.
- Thousands of gifts and toys are offered to needy children from the annual Star Tree program.
Referrals and help applying for government aid is offered too. For example, individuals who need help in applying for Social Security disability applications, public aid like food stamps, completing medical forms and writing letters for support can receive help from social workers.
The Coats for Kids drive is offered between NBC's KSEE24, the Salvation Army, and Peak Broadcasting's KSKS 93.7 FM Country Radio. Thousands of coats and other winter attire items are collected and distributed to children, teenagers, and low income families in Fresno California.
Disaster programs are mostly manned by volunteers. Individuals are trained to assist the needy in all kinds of emergencies or disasters, such as fires and earthquakes. The Salvation Army can provide clothing, food, shelter, emergency rental help or financial resources to those affected by such calamity. A number of mobile units known as Canteens are operated in the region. They serve meals, food, and provide aid, including hot and cold drinks, complete meals, and snacks.
Notebooks, school supplies, and uniforms are given in the fall to students from low income families in Fresno County. This is part of the Salvation Army back to school spree. Donations from the community allow the assistance program to run each and every year. Find more ways to get help from free school supplies.
The Fresno Salvation Army centers also administer the Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP). This resource is a federal government funded program that provides qualified applicants with cash assistance. Money can be used to provide for a 30 day payment on delinquent City of Modesto water/sewage bills, PG&E, MID, and Turlock Irrigation District (TID) bills. Funds can be used to pay housing expenses such as rent in order to stop an imminent eviction.
Income tax filing and assistance is offered, and most of it is free. The Salvation Army and its volunteers are proud to offer two tax programs to assist senior and low income members of the community with completing forms for federal and state government income taxes and other service forms.
The main program is known as Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). This is overseen by the agency, and is provided to low income individuals and seniors who require assistance with filing federal and state income tax forms. The program is staffed by a number of support personnel, including IRS trained volunteers who use the Salvation Army facilities to prepare taxes for eligible Fresno families.
Salvation Army Centers in Fresno California
- Fresno Citadel Family Service Center, 1752 Fulton Street, Fresno, California 93721-1623, phone number is 559-233-0138
- Selma Social Services Unit is also in Fresno County. Address is 1825 W. Front Street, Selma, California 93662
- Tollhouse/Auberry Social Services Unit, 29424 Auberry Road Suite 107, Prather, CA 93651, main number is 559-855-7773
- Reedley Social Services Unit, Unit 1024 G Street, Reedley, California 93654-2936, main number is 559-638-4062
- Kingsburg Social Services Unit, Unit 1540 Marion Street, Kingsburg, CA 93631-1806
- Orange Cove Social Services Unit, Unit 244 10th Street, Orange Cove, California 93646-2013, main number is 559-626-4672
- Kerman Social Services Unit, 16507 W. Jensen Avenue, Kerman, CA 93630-9194, phone number 559-846-9855
- Fresno Citadel Corps Community Center, 1854 Fulton Street, Fresno, California 93721, Office phone number is 559-233-0139
- Coalinga Social Services Unit, Unit 465 E. Glenn Avenue, Coalinga, CA 93210-2116, phone 559-935-0724
- Clovis Corps Community Center, 210 Barstow Avenue, Clovis, CA 93612-2226