Orange County California Salvation Army assistance programs.
The Salvation Army operates Family Service Centers in the Orange County California area. Thousands of individuals receive help from the centers every year. Some of the assistance provided includes emergency utility bill and rental assistance, clothing, free food, school supplies and holiday aid. All of this may be provided to the less fortunate in Orange County, along with case management and guidance.
The Salvation Army operates all across the county, and their services are offered from Anaheim to San Clemente California. They do their best to meet the basic needs of the low income, seniors, and children. The organization is always very grateful to the support of local individuals, corporations, non-profits and organizations in the area who all have a heart for providing service. The Orange County Emergency Family Services Offices offer a wide range of programs, as funding allows.
- Food Distribution – Pantries are available and provide food boxes, meals, and groceries.
- Transportation assistance can include vouchers for gasoline and bus tickets. This is usually offered if someone needs to get to a job interview or doctor appointment in the Orange County region.
- Clothing and household items can be personal hygiene or similar support.
- Financial assistance is always very limited. It may include money for paying utility bills or rent, if an applicant has an eviction or disconnection notice.
- Miscellaneous assistance, which may include a wide variety of items and support. This will really depend on whether the Salvation Army has those resources available. They refer clients to free items or grants as well.
- Christmas and holiday programs – This is always a main goal of the agency. During one recent Christmas season, over 20,000 people or children were provided a gift or meal. Holiday aid is offered in partnership with community leaders, businesses, and volunteers from the community.
- Free school supplies – Hundreds of children may receive new clothes, educational supplies, or backpacks.
Other programs include Adopt-A-Family. This may be offered to hundreds of families and individuals each year. How it works is individuals, local charities and civic groups or businesses adopt a family of whatever size they choose. They then provide the family with clothing, food, free toys or other needed items.
Angel Tree is another Orange County California Salvation Army Christmas program. A few thousand children from low income families are given free gifts, toys, or clothing by members of the community. A child’s gift suggestions are given out to volunteers and donors, and those items are then purchased and distributed to the children.
Part of the financial assistance indicated above can be emergency rent and/or utility assistance. When a family has an eviction notice, or utility shut off, they may need help to deal with the complex set of circumstances that may have caused the issue.
The Salvation Army caseworker will set up a one on one interview, and they will try to identify the often numerous and complicated factors that may have contributed to the household's emergency situation. They can provide various forms of assistance, including budget and credit counseling, emotional support, and other information as needed. The goal is to help eliminate the possibility of any future crisis.
Food stamp and CalFresh benefits can often be applied at an Orange County Family Service Centers. Individuals can apply at social service offices, and people can receive eligibility pre-screening and assistance in filling out their application for public aid. This is for Spanish speakers as well as qualified immigrants as well.
The Hospitality House provides shelter and emergency transitional housing for the most needy, which includes the unemployed and homeless. Those individuals and families who need more time to regain their footing and build back their lives are able to stay through the transitional living program. Food, worship sessions, case management, and self-sufficiency is offered. Learn about job finding programs, financial aid, and much more.
Senior programs are available from the Salvation Army League of Mercy, Anaheim Red Shield. Thousands of elderly and senior citizens in Orange County California receive fellowship and friendship. Or they can sign up for Meals on Wheels or congregate lunches. Many individuals will be visited by League of Mercy volunteers in their homes, hospitals, and other locations.
Seniors can make long lasting friendships at Home League meetings, which is a local ministry where spiritual strengths are built. The program relies heavily on the time and commitment of volunteers. The Salvation Army also helps elderly clients in Orange County apply for low income housing, medical help, and much more.
Salvation Army Family Service Centers in Orange County California
- 1515 W. North St., Anaheim, 92801, Telephone: 714.783.2344. This Anaheim locations provides services in Buena Park, Villa Park, Brea, Fullerton, La Habra, Placentia, Yorba Linda, and of course Anaheim.
- 17261 Oak Lane, Huntington Beach, 92647, Main telephone: 714.841.0150. Salvation Army centers helps people in Corona Del Mar, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Seal Beach
- 1710 West Edinger, Santa Ana, 92704, call 714.384.0481 for intake. Serves Fountain Valley, Irvine, Orange, Santa Ana, and Tustin
- South County Family Center is at 616 South El Camino Real, #B-2, San Clemente, 92672, call 949.366.6652. Covers cities and towns of Alisa Viejo, Dana Point, Foothill Ranch, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Lake Forest, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Marguerita, San Clemente, and San Juan Capistrano.
- West County office is at 7245 Garden Grove Blvd. #A, Garden Grove, 92841, dial 714.901.1480. The Family Service Center covers Cypress, Garden Grove, Los Alamitos, La Palma, Midway City, Stanton, and Westminster California.
Family Stores provide clothing, food, household items, and other items
These locations are technically low cost thrift stores in Orange County. The Salvation army operates them. They sell a wide range of items, including furniture, beds, books, electronics, toys (birthday and Christmas) and much more. All of the money collected goes to pay for the Salvation Army financial assistance programs.
- Anaheim, 1100 N. La Palma Parkway (at La Palma and Lemon), call 714-535-4631
- Buena Park, 7035 Stanton Ave. (south of Orangethorpe), telephone 714-521-7390
- Costa Mesa, 2126 Harbor Blvd. (south of Victoria), dial 949-642-3636
- Fairview (Santa Ana), 2601 W. First St. (at Fairview), call 714.541.6726
- Fountain Valley, 16119 Brookhurst St. (at Brookhurst & Edinger), telephone number 714-775-7124
- Huntington Beach, 17362 Beach Blvd. (near Warner), dial 714-841-2896
- Lake Forest, 23820 Mercury Rd., main telephone 949-581-1605
- Orange, 180 S. Tustin Ave. (south of Chapman), call 714-532-2235
- San Clemente, 2727 Via Cascadita (Shorecliff Plaza next to DMV), main phone 949-492-0133