Salvation Army Nevada assistance programs.
The Salvation Army in Nevada is committed to providing low income families with help. The programs available will vary by center and location, but many Nevada sites offer Family Services, may have limited amounts of financial assistance available, provide referrals and case management to low-income individuals and families in the region.
As indicated, the exact type and amount of resources will vary by location listed below and region of Nevada. However many Salvation Army centers provide some or all of the following.
- Food assistance, including an onsite pantry and grocery distribution. Many centers also have case managers who can help people apply for government commodities and food stamps.
- Free vouchers can be distributed for a number of needs. They can be passed out for gasoline, food, and clothing items at local Salvation Army thrift stores in Nevada.
- Bus passes to be used to get to jobs or a doctor appointment.
- Utility and electric bill assistance through various state and programs offered in partnership with utility companies.
- Rental assistance through the ESSP Program. Find more information rent help.
- Personal hygiene items and household products.
- Coats for Kids, especially during the winter.
- Community Care Ministries, which is volunteers visiting nursing homes & hospitals.
- Back to School Fair can distribute free items such as notebooks or school supplies.
- Angel Tree Christmas Connection provides free holiday toys, gifts, meals and more to low income families, children, and seniors.
- Summer Camp opportunities, including meals and snacks for students during the summer or holiday breaks.
- Job training and vocational Programs.
- Those with a severe medical need can look into prescription drug assistance, which may be offered. It is mostly offered for those who have no health insurance, and who are faced with a very serious medical condition.
Limited financial assistance may be offered from some Nevada centers, depending on donations and the applicant’s exact need. This can include emergency rental and electric bill assistance for those faced with disconnection or eviction. Some funds for water bills may be offered too, but that is rarer.
Meeting nutritional needs of low income families, the elderly, and seniors is a key function of the Salvation Army centers in Nevada. Many locations have an onsite food pantry and/or a soup kitchen. They can offer free canned groceries, hot meals, and other nutritional support. Or get help in applying for government programs such as WIC or food stamps. Special holiday meals, including Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas meals may be served too. Find more Nevada food pantries.
Free Holiday and Christmas assistance may be offered, including from programs such as Adopt a Family and Angel Tree. Children can get toys or clothing, and families can get a free meal with all the trimmings. The Salvation Army is always committed to ramping up their assistance programs during the holidays.
Homeless services are offered in order to help clients get a job, obtain the income and locate affordable housing. Social workers help people become self-sufficient, independent citizens of the community, and they try to eliminate homelessness in Nevada. Case management, security deposit/rental assistance, shelter, and other transformational resources are available.
Education and job training is coordinated. The Salvation Army works with businesses, colleges, and other non-profits across the state so they can provide clients practical work experience in a variety of fields and academic training. They also offer classes in life skills, credit counseling, and offer other essential employment tools.
Locations of centers in Nevada are as follows
- Tonopah Nevada can be reached at 775-482-5425
- The Salvation Army Family Services of Las Vegas and North Las Vegas region, 1581 N. Main Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101, phone 702.649.8240. This location offers many services, ranging from loans to free holiday meals, security deposit help, and more. Continue with Salvation Army in Las Vegas.
- 830 East Lake Mead Drive, Henderson, NV 89015, main phone number is 702.565.9578
- Washoe County, North Lake Tahoe 1931 Sutro Street, Reno, dial (775) 688-4555. Read more Washoe County Salvation Army assistance programs.
- 125 Gentry Way, Reno, Nevada, main phone (775) 284-4702
- Salvation Army of Carson City offers social services too, and is located at 661 Colorado Street, Carson City, NV, dial 775-887-9120. Or find additional details.
- Sierra County Nevada residents in the towns of Downieville and Loyalton, phone 916-563-3787
- 240 Dahlia St., Pahrump, Nevada, call 775-727-6111 for intake
- 180 East Winnie Lane, Carson City, phone number is (775) 885-1898
- White Pine County, Nevada including the city of Ely.
- Salvation Army of Plumas County, Chester, Greenville, Portola, and Quincy, 916-563-3787
Elko County, Nevada, call 775-738-8372
Most of the state may have access to other Salvation Army Centers and assistance programs. If you live in the counties or towns below, dial the Salvation Army at 916-563-3787.
- Pershing County, including Lovelock NV
- Esmeralda County and Beatty Nevada
- Churchill County (Fallon)
- Lyon County including the cities of Fernley, Silver Springs, and Yerington
- Mineral County and Hawthorne Nevada