Rent assistance in Minneapolis and Hennepin County.

Rental assistance programs can help Minneapolis and Hennepin County families pay their housing expenses, including back rent or security deposits when applicable. Get information and details on many of the organizations, non-profits, government programs, and solutions to use to get rental assistance in the Minneapolis region.

Find information on eviction prevention programs, free legal advice for landlord-tenant issues, and how to get financial assistance and grants for paying rent. The goal is homeless prevention, so therefore a number of Minneapolis Minnesota non-profits and agencies administer housing and financial hardship programs. Thousands of families apply for, and receive, rent help every year from these non-profits, charities, and government program.

Hennepin County Emergency Assistance
Address - 330 South 12th St. Minneapolis.
Phone number - 612-596-1300
Can offer rent and housing assistance to low income families, and this can include senior citizens and the disabled as well. However the agency will not offer rent assistance if the county or city of Minneapolis thinks that the applicant will fall behind again within the next year.

Birthright – Birthright of Minneapolis can help pregnant women, single moms or those who have a child under one year of age with rental assistance. 825 Nicollet Mall, Suite 702 Medical Arts Building, Minneapolis, MN, 55402

Emergency GA, dial 612-596-1900. Rent can even be paid to single adults. Other funds, such as a grant, can be used for energy bills if those could lead to an eviction.




CEAP- Community Emergency Assistance Program, which is located at 6840 78th Avenue Brooklyn Park 55445 (phone 763-566-9600) can provide emergency financial services and rent help for those living in Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, and Champlin Park in Hennepin County Minnesota.

Community Emergency Service
Location of center - 1900 11th Ave. S.
Dial - 612-870-1125
This community program may be able to provide a variety of services and financial assistance including one-time rental assistance, funds for deposits, and heating bills.





St. Stephen's Human Services, Inc. administers the South Minneapolis Rental Prevention Assistance Program. This is a focused program as it can help people pay rent if they have children. Address of the center 2211 Clinton Ave S., or dial (612) 874-0311.

Elim Transitional Housing – Rent help can be offered to N/NE Minneapolis residents, and applicants can’t have children under 18 years old. Call 763-788-1546.

Minneapolis Cradle Program will only help pregnant women (even including single mothers). There may be financial aid available for paying rent, a mortgage, and other housing costs. The applicant needs to be pregnant or just had a baby within the last 3 months to receive short term rental assistance. Contact a social worker or non-profit such as Birthright.

Every Penny Counts Emergency Financial Assistance-MN AIDS Project, located at 1400 Park Avenue in Minneapolis (phone 612-331-7733) may be able to offer emergency financial income and grants of up to $320 for paying rent, utility costs, food, medical bills, etc. for those diagnosed with HIV/AIDS.

Jewish Family and Children's Service of Minneapolis, 13100 Wayzata Blvd. Suite 400, Minnetonka Minnesota. Telephone 952-546-0616 can offer loans and financial assistance for Minneapolis members of the Jewish community.

Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans, VAMC Building 47 One Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, dial 612-726-1327. Veterans and their families can apply for rent and housing assistance.

Northpoint Health & Wellness Center, located at 1315 Penn Ave. N., call 612-348-4700. Advice, counseling, and rent help is provided for North and Northeast Minneapolis residents only. Call on Mondays only. The non-profit can also provide referrals to low income apartments and there may be money available for moving costs or first months rent.




Community Emergency Service (CES) offers a Housing Services program/resource. It can provide low income rental assistance when eviction is imminent by the applicant’s landlord. Applications are taken by phone to determine eligibility. 1900 11th Ave S, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Call (612) 870-1069 to apply, or find more low income rental assistance.

Pillsbury House, 3501 Chicago Avenue S., Minneapolis 55407. Call 612-824-0708. The non-profit serves the zip codes of 55406, 55407, and 55408 only.

Home Line doesn’t provide grants, but rather it can offer free legal assistance for landlord issues, counseling, and advocacy services so that tenants throughout Minnesota can solve their own rental housing problems. Lawyers can refer Minneapolis renters to all sorts of programs.

Interfaith Outreach and Community Partners of Minneapolis, Minnesota, zip code 55447, may have funds for emergency rent help on a first come and served basis. Other resources range from referrals to legal aid, transitional housing, and grants for rental deposits and more. Call (763) 489-7500.

PRISM- People Responding in Social Ministry, 730 Florida Ave S Golden Valley 55426, phone - 763-529-1350. Cash is not offered, but a loan is. The agency can offer 0% interest loans to qualifying individuals and families to cover housing costs as well as pay rent in times of financial crisis or a hardship. The programs and resources are only offered for people in parts of Hennepin County, including Golden Valley, Crystal, New Hope, or Robbinsdale Minnesota.

Minneapolis area homeless prevention and rapid rehousing is arranged by a central intake office. Low income families, single adults or moms, and others that need one time rent help may be assisted. There is also information on affordable housing, pro-bono legal aid, and federal grants for paying utility or rental deposits to rehouse a resident. Learn more on the services from the Hennepin County eviction and rehousing assistance programs.

Sabathani Community Center. South Minneapolis residents only can apply for emergency housing and resources. Call 612-821-2303.




Salvation Army - 612-522-6581. May offer rent help only on first Monday of month. Other resources are shelters and referrals to government grants for rental and housing costs.

STEP-Emergency Program, 5925 Highway 7 St Louis Park 55416, phone 952-925-4899. This organization may offer emergency housing services and rent assistance for residents of St. Louis Park only.

St. Stephen's (phone 612-870-2298) offers programs for people with minor children only.

Waite House covers zip code of 55404. Call 612-721-1681. Funds can help prevent evictions.

VEAP - Volunteers Enlisted to Assist People - Financial and rent assistance for low to moderate income residents of Bloomington, Edina, Richfield and a small portion of Minneapolis Minnesota, which includes the area of south of 50th Street and west of Cedar Avenue. 952-888-9616

Angel Foundation – This is a not for profit organization that provides financial assistance for emergency non-medical needs and expenses, such as rent, groceries, mortgage payments, and heating bills. They only help cancer patients going through active treatment. (612) 627-9000

Hennepin County Human Services and Public Health Department of Minneapolis (call (612) 596-1900) offers homeless prevention services.

Minnesota Regional Legal Services can advise tenants facing eviction, if it is illegal. Attorneys or volunteers from Minneapolis also offer free advice on overdue rent, disputes over deposits, and unsafe housing or apartments. The number is 1-888-575-2954.

Minneapolis funds dedicated to serving long term homeless.

Temporary tenant based rental assistance program dedicated to serving homeless families with children.

  • Catholic Charities, 740 E. 17th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota. (612) 278-1146.
  • Elim Transitional Housing, Inc. – HTF, ELHIF, 3989 Central Avenue NE, Columbia Heights, Rental Assistance Info Line: (763) 788-1546
  • Cornerstone Advocacy Service Inc. – 1000 East 80th Street, Bloomington. Call (952) 884-0376
  • EMERGE/PUC - Pillsbury United Communities – HTF, 1101 W Broadway, Minneapolis, MN 55411, phone (612) 341-1654
  • Lutheran Social Services – 2414 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, (612) 879-5358
  • Simpson Housing Services, Inc. – HTF, ELHIF, 2100Pillsbury Avenue South, Minneapolis. Dial (612) 874-8683 ext 207
  • Hennepin County Human Services & Public Health Department – ELHIF, A-1601 Government Center, 300 S. 6th Street, Minneapolis. Call for help (612) 348-7510. Read more public assistance in Minnesota.
  • Project for Pride in Living, ELHIF, HTF, 1035 Franklin Avenue East, Minneapolis. Dial (612) 455-5100 Fax (612) 455-5101
  • People Incorporated, HTF, 317 York Avenue, Saint Paul. Phone number (651) 225-8963 ext. 15
  • St. Stephen’s Human Services – 2309 Nicollet Ave S, Minneapolis. Phone number 612-874-0311