Chenango County assistance programs.
Grants and financial assistance programs
Opportunities for Chenango, Inc. is the local community action agency. The main office is in Norwich New York. Phone(607) 334-7114. Resources offered to the low income, unemployed, and others in the community are as follows.
- Foreclosure counseling, mortgage delinquency programs for those facing an imminent foreclosure.
- Home Energy Assistance Program - Funds for paying heating and energy bills. Apply at Chenango County Dept. of Social Services. Phone number below.
- Rental assistance - Get help paying back rent or finding a new home or apartment.
- Home repairs and weatherization - Improvements to both make your home safe and save energy.
- Food banks and assistance - Distribute both government surplus commodities as well as run the Women, Infants and Children (WIC). This service provides nutritious foods to post partum, pregnant and breast feeding women and children up to age 5.
- Information - Speak to a counselor to get information on New York and federal government programs, charities, and local non-profits. Find out about government medical care, food banks, debt counseling, and grants for bills and expenses.
- Job Success Basics - Improve skills and career opportunities, from services like Workplace Essential Skills.
- Head Start - Access including individualized activities (such as food, education, and health) that are developed with input from parents, medical providers, schools and other agencies.
Chenango County Department of Social Services is the local government agency that is a great resource for the low income. A sampling of the programs and services offered include low income energy assistance (LIHEAP), food stamps/TANF, health and medical care, and more. One of the somewhat unique programs offered is a car repair service. If you need a car to get back and forth to work, the department of social services may be able to provide a voucher. Read more on car repairs. (607) 337-1500
Chenango and Norwich Catholic Charities is also another leading organization in the region. While the financial assistance is limited, the organization can help with more basic needs such as food, shelter, and homeless prevention. Volunteers from Catholic Charities may be able to deliver meals to seniors or children in the community too. They focus on the less fortunate, unemployed, and working poor in Chenango New York, and the organization will offer as many resources and services as possible to those who need help. Click here.
Chenango County housing programs are available for residents facing imminent eviction and/or the homeless. Services provided include case management, temporary housing, and maybe financial aid for rent. Other support, while more limited, may be available, such as meals, basic needs such as clothing, and job training. Click here.
Food pantries, banks, clothing, and emergency aid in Chenango County
A listing of some regional pantries are below. However there are many other non-profit food banks in the county. If one of the locations below can’t meet the needs of a client, then try another center. Click here more information.
One of the local food banks and pantries of southern New York and Chenango County is the Food Pantry & Clothing Bank Cortland Chenango Rural Services. Call them at (607) 863-3828 to get food and other forms of aid.
Roots and Wings Catholic Charities (phone (607) 334-8244) gives clothes, food, and even just as importantly referrals to government programs, charities, and non-profits.
Columbus Community church (phone (607) 847-8600), Cortland Chenango Rural Services (call 607) 863-3828), and Mt. Upton United Methodist Church (607) 765-8536 are other local charities to call for food and groceries.
Read more on other New York based food banks and pantries.
Rent assistance programs and section 8
The low income can get subsidized housing and information on rent programs from the Norwich Housing Authority. They provide low income housing, and run the Section 8 Housing Voucher program for the immediate area. Call (607) 334-5358.
Mortgage delinquency counseling
Catholic Charities of Chenango and Norwich runs several housing programs. Phone (607) 334-8244. Housing counselors can offer foreclosure counseling, information on mortgage programs, and other forms of housing aid, including even homebuyer programs.