Sumter County Florida assistance programs.
Free medical care and health care services
The Lazarus Free Medical Clinic provides free medical care to Sumter County residents, in particular the uninsured or underinsured working poor.
The main goal of the LFMC is to improve the health of those who are struggling and to promote wellness and to provide caring, free, high quality medical care, preventive health education to disadvantaged migrant workers, specialty referral services, and the working poor and mid income families of Sumter County Florida. Guiding principles for the free Clinic operations include:
- Give high quality medical care for poor, disadvantaged, and the under served population.
- Serve diverse populations, regardless of religion, sex, or other criteria.
- Refer people to government health and dental programs.
Call Lazarus Free Medical Clinic at 352-748-4567.
Financial support for bills, debts, and expenses in Sumter County Florida
Sumter and Bushnell Florida are served by the Mid Florida Community Services, Inc., which may be the leading agency to call for counseling and financial help. To highlight some of the financial assistance offered includes the following.
- Senior citizen support - With many elderly retiring to the Florida area, the agency can help those. Learn about programs, whether government or local non-profits, that are targeted towards the elderly and retired in Bushnell and Sumter County Florida.
- LIHEAP - Grants from the federal government can help pay utilities.
- Transportation - The disabled and seniors can receive transportation and car rides to doctor appointment, job interviews, and for other emergency appointment.
- Community block grants - Community action agencies across Florida and the nation can offer block grants. The one in Sumter County can focus on helping with energy bills, housing, prescription medications and certain housing expenses related to obtaining/maintaining employment, job training or education services and support. Learn more on community action agencies and the type of support they provide to qualified individuals.
Salvation Army of Sumter is always a good place to call for advice and support. Programs are created for the low income, working poor, unemployed, and others who need aid. The phone number is 352-365-0079. Every now and then a very limited amount of aid may be provided for the low income in the form of emergency food, funds for utilities and rent, and other support.
United Way of Sumter County funds local non-profits and charities, and they know of many resources for the low income, disabled, and others in the area. Phone number is 352-787-7530.