South Carolina free legal assistance and advice.

State residents can receive free legal aid and representation services. The support is available from the South Carolina Legal Services (SCLS) organization. They offer free advice for a wide variety of civil (non-criminal) legal issues and matters that low and moderate income families and individuals of South Carolina may be facing. SCLS is a non-profit corporation. It is funded by grants from the federal governments Legal Services Corporation, the South Carolina Bar, the South Carolina Bar Foundation, local United Way organizations, private donations, state court filing fees, and other federal, state and local government agencies.

SCLS has numerous offices across the state from which they serve residents. Eligibility for the legal assistance programs and services is based upon both total household income and assets that the applicant has. They can be reached at 888-346-5592.

They offer a wide variety of services and programs, such as.

  • Bankruptcy/Debtor Relief - They provide advice on filing chapter 7 and/or 13. These bankruptcy filings can help people save a home, a car, or medically necessary equipment. Also, if the client is facing substantial harassment from their creditors that may be affecting the mental and/or physical well being of them, then the client may be able to purse additional options, including suing the creditor.
  • Collection Practices/Debt Collectors/Creditor Harassment - Find how to get legal help to deal with debt collectors. Support is offered to those faced with credit card or unpaid medical bills, individuals dealing with payday lenders, and other debts. Or to find additional debt collection options, click here.
  • Help for Predatory Lending Practices (Not Including Mortgages) - In addition to the debt collection services offered, they can also offer ways to deal with lenders, such as payday loans.
  • Loans/Installment Purchase (Not Collections)
  • Debt Collection (Including Garnishment of Wages/Repossession/Deficiency) - Get free legal advice from South Carolina Legal Services if you have been served with pleadings or of your property has been repossessed. If a collector or company has garnished your wages, then South Carolina Legal Services can help if you are disputing the debt. Or assistance is even offered for those that are contesting the amount of debt a creditor claims you owe.





  • Adoption advice - Where an increased economic benefit can be obtained by proceeding with this approach.
  • Divorce/Separation/Annulment - Free divorce or separation filings. This is a limited service of firms associated with SCLS.
  • Name Change - You can obtain or amend a birth certificate where economic benefit can be gained from the name change.
  • Guardianship and conservatorship issues
  • Domestic Abuse - If you are facing any type of abuse, an attorney can support you with how you can get help and get out of the situation. Learn about government benefits, safe housing in South Carolina, and access other free legal aid.




  • Private Landlord/Tenant - Get free legal advice in SC to deal with preventing an eviction or find ways to gain access to quality housing. Lawyers can also give advice and access to programs to stop a utility service disconnection, find help with obtaining necessary repairs to rented housing, and find help with getting back a security deposit.
  • Mortgage Help and Foreclosures Prevention - Attorneys will provide you with free foreclosure prevention services.
  • Mortgage Predatory Lending/Practices - If you received a loan from a predatory bank or lender, such as an interest only or subprime mortgage, you may be able to find ways to modify your loan when working with an attorney.
  • Employment Discrimination - Receive representation and counsel at the administrative level (which is an informal hearing with employer) and you can also get free representation at court level where the administrative process has been exhausted. South Carolina firms can help employees potentially sue their employer and a Right to Sue Letter can be issued by EEOC once it has been completed.
  • Wage Claims - Get representation at administrative level (informal hearing with employer) and also representation from a SCLS attorney at the court level where the administrative process has been exhausted and no other options exist.








Like this site?