WW2 veteran looking for grant money to repair home

State and local government assistance programs.
tonygcantu
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

WW2 veteran looking for grant money to repair home

Post by tonygcantu »

I've been researching the past 2 weeks, inadvertantly signing up for so many wasted sites that only want more money. My father in law is 94 years old, owns his own home and wants to stay. His house is in drastic need of repair (roofing, heat, air, electricity, gas). I understand in order to find grant money it would be more expedient to research local, county, and state before looking up federal. He lives in Dallas, TX. Does anyone know of a construction company I can contact that will give the estimate and will work within the confines of the grant requirements? Does anyone know of the type of grant that is needed? He is not disabled. Thank you!
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: WW2 veteran looking for grant money to repair home

Post by Admin »

I can point you in the direction of agencies to ask for help in Dallas Texas. Agencies and non-profits may know of some home repair or maintenance programs for you and family. Try the local community action agency, which goes by the name of the Urban League of Greater Dallas. 214-915-4600 They do have housing programs, and ask them about weatherization. Another option may be the Dallas Catholic Charities (Phone (214) 826-8330). Many more options and gencies are here, and throughout the main site of needhelppayingbills.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... progr.html
Mark Milley

Post by Mark Milley »

I'm writing you on behalf of my father, who believe it or not is a surviving veteran of WW2 and needs a grant. HE is in his late 90s. Since my mom passed nearly 2 years ago, my father hasn't been the same. It's been rough going. My family and I opted to move to Alabama to help him out. We knew going in that the house needed work, but we weren't prepared for all that we found. Upon arrival, we found that the roof is leaking, there's a carbon monoxide leak and they're also several ungrounded exposed wires. The house runs on gas but even that system has a leak so we can't stay there. My father is determined to keep his house because it's paid for and being a WW2 veteran he is old school. But there's no way he can live there in it's current condition so he needs a grant. We don't have the money to pay for these repairs ourselves. Can you find it in your heart to assist us in any way? I assure you that anything you can do to help us will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Operation Homefront is great program to help veterans. Some will give grants too, including for home repairs. That is incredible that your father is still alive, served in the "greatest generation" and WW2. Also try a local church in addition to Homefront, and look here for Operation Homefront programs for military memebrs.
Mark Milley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:04 am I'm writing you on behalf of my father, who believe it or not is a surviving veteran of WW2 and needs a grant. HE is in his late 90s. Since my mom passed nearly 2 years ago, my father hasn't been the same. It's been rough going. My family and I opted to move to Alabama to help him out. We knew going in that the house needed work, but we weren't prepared for all that we found. Upon arrival, we found that the roof is leaking, there's a carbon monoxide leak and they're also several ungrounded exposed wires. The house runs on gas but even that system has a leak so we can't stay there. My father is determined to keep his house because it's paid for and being a WW2 veteran he is old school. But there's no way he can live there in it's current condition so he needs a grant. We don't have the money to pay for these repairs ourselves. Can you find it in your heart to assist us in any way? I assure you that anything you can do to help us will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.