Weatherization and appliances

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
SilverGirl
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Weatherization and appliances

Post by SilverGirl »

I heard that the Pa. weatherization program will replace old, faulty, energy inefficent appliances such as refridgerator, washer, dryer and dishwasher. Is this true? I hope so, mine are all in rough shape and I know they are wasting energy. I have to run them all twice to get the job done. The fridge is older and I know it is not energy efficient. Any and all replies and help appreciated.
Thanks.. Marie
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Weatherization and appliances

Post by Admin »

Hi, I think the answer is it depends. Many Pennsylvania weatherization programs allow for the following: Furnace testing, repair and replacement; window repairs; attic and crawl space insulation; weather stripping; energy education and related health and safety matters; air sealing
There is a dollar limit to the amount of repairs.
Your best bet is to call your local community action agency and ask them directly. This link has the major counties of PA covered. I?f your county is not here, there is a another link at bottom with addition PA programs and agencies. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... gency.html

Between these two links you should be able to find extensive contact information, and programs you can take advantage of.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... rogra.html
SilverGirl wrote:I heard that the Pa. weatherization program will replace old, faulty, energy inefficent appliances such as refridgerator, washer, dryer and dishwasher. Is this true? I hope so, mine are all in rough shape and I know they are wasting energy. I have to run them all twice to get the job done. The fridge is older and I know it is not energy efficient. Any and all replies and help appreciated.
Thanks.. Marie
MeganT

Re: Weatherization and appliances

Post by MeganT »

My furnace and air conditioner (HVAC UNIT) are 16 years old. Other appliances are over 10 years old. I had to have the main blow motor replaced on the furnace last year, it was almost $1,000. Now the Evaporator Coil is cracked. They say it will cost $1,769.53. I do not have the money! Because it’s so old, they recommend a total replacement which would be $5,961. I have tried weatherization, but the wait list is multiple years.
I am 65 years old and disabled with my 8 year old adopted granddaughter. I am on SSDI and live in Arizona.
Any help you may be able to give me for the appliances and furnace would be greatly appreciated.
Rested

Re: Weatherization and appliances will help me

Post by Rested »

Hello,
I am reaching out to ask for help from weatherization for a furnace or home heating appliance. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place or not, but I thought it was worth a shot. My husband and I are both born and raised in Salina. Last year he had a very large brain tumor removed along with a 3" x 5" section of his skull. He then underwent 32 rounds of radiation. Since then he has had trouble with seizures and several other side effects.
We at both self employed, but since his health issues, our construction company is not doing well and we may have to close it. Anyway, our furnace went out and we heard weatherization will fix a furnace. We have had multiple quotes on it and they're saying it cannot be repaired, so it has to be replaced. The quotes are ranging from 7,500 to 14,000 and we cannot afford it. We have been running off of space heaters in our home, which is very expensive. We have a disconnect right now from Evergy but our current bill is over $1,000! Which we're having a hard time paying. We have gotten loans from family and friends but everyone else is pretty much tapped out as well.
We've tried selling several things but still can't come up with enough money to replace it. We try not to run the heaters or appliances constantly so our electricity isn't as high, but we also don't want our pipes to freeze. Right now it's about 45 degrees in here. Anyway, I was told to try and seek out some relief options through our city/county weatherization program. I googled it and found you. Let me know if I'm in the right place or what I need to do please.