Dig me out from the snow and ice

State and local government assistance programs.
MrsJasnen
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Dig me out from the snow and ice

Post by MrsJasnen »

I...I don't need the kinds of free money help you list in your website and don't want to look into that. But I do need help digging out snow and removing the ice. I'm doing okay right now, but email seems to be the only way to contact you from the website, I couldn't find a phone number for you.  I do have one problem that needs help.
I'm a senior who is also 100% disabled, who only rents, in NE Albuquerque.  I am getting too old and unstable to safely dig out of the ice and snow that has fallen.  The worst spot is right in front of my front door where, due to the way the roof and rain gutter are positioned incorrectly, I have dripping icicles that keep forming a sheet of ice right at the front door and on the cement path to the driveway.  I have found regular salt to be ineffective this time, because of how heavy the storm was, and the constantly dripping roof both knocks salt away and washes it away.  On the path itself, I've laid down my bath towels end-to-end over it, and that has given me some traction.  But at the door, the water just drips onto the towel and freezes again, causing the same icing problem.  Because I'm on the east side of the street, and because of my south-side neighbor's trees, the sun doesn't melt the ice or snow.  And it keeps dripping.  I'm afraid of falling, and if I whack at the compressed snow with my plastic snow shovel, I will just break the shovel.  The stores are all out of ice pellets, it took me too long to partially dig out to get to Home Depot, so I bought a lot of sea salt...  which does melt some of the ice, but it just freezes again.  Unfortunately, the worst spot is right in front of my front door threshold.  So, I've only been out and about once since last Monday, just get groceries and get those pellets.
I called Home Depot, who said they had plenty, but when I got there, they were sold out.  Everyone is out, of course.  That should be expected.   I don't know if it would help my drippy situation anyway, but I had hoped that the bigger pellets like Ice Melt, would stick better than table salt.  I need to try to run errands, pay bills...  I will have to be very careful.  I usually carry groceries to the house, one bag or jug at a time with a cane in the other hand, which is seven or eight trips on the snow...  But if you can find me someone to help, I'd sure appreciate it.  Even though it may snow again and un-do it again. :(I can't find free help, because I just rent. Can you help me dig out from all this cold weather snow?
Owning your house seems to be a major criterion in this town.  Do you know anyone who can help dig me out for free?  I'm not good at asking for help, but this time I'm concerned about my safety.  The neighbors and I on my block used to help each other dig out snow and ice, but it's not the same neighborhood any more (I've rented this house for 27 years).  No group cohesiveness any more, more temporary renters than owners.  I don't even know who many of them are any more.  And please, I don't want to call code enforcement to report the ice, the landlord would just raise my rent if I cause trouble, and they told me this morning that shoveling the snow and ice is my responsibility.  My rent is cheap, I can't afford to move, I won't call code enforcement and can't fight, don't want to cause trouble with them.  That's not an option.  I just need to find a volunteer or do it myself.  Thank you for listening.
Smoother

Re: Dig me out from the snow and ice

Post by Smoother »

I am a 71 year old widow on Social Security as my only income and I am now snowed in. I go to the park and pick up cans, or anything I can use to help with expenses, but it still is not enough to keep up with the monthly expenses.
I have struggled and worked since my husband died in the early 1990’s & left  me with a house payment & children still in school.  The children are out of school, but are notable to give me any help.  Also, the house is now paid for.  I was let go from my job because they were going out of business, and because of my age I have not found any other work
If your organization can give me any help with snow removal and winter deicing needs, please let me know how and what I would need to do.  I would so appreciate it. Sincerely
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dig me out from the snow and ice

Post by Admin »

It seems like you have several needs, not just snow removal/landscaping. Seems you need housing, food, and some income.
One national charity to try is VOA of America services, as they often have a network of people who can do some household chores (maybe like removing snow) for the elderly.
Smoother wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:47 am I am a 71 year old widow on Social Security as my only income and I am now snowed in.