If you are spending the holiday alone or even have some downtime, there are many productive things you can do to stay busy that will improve the upcoming year. If you cannot afford to enjoy the holiday, use your time wisely to stay productive. This will ensure that you are prepared for a successful start in the new year.
Learn a new skill: Personal and professional success involves learning new skills, regardless of age, there is always something to learn which can help to advance your career and earnings. Below are some valuable skills you can learn on your own for free during the holiday season.
● Freelance Writer: A freelance writing career typically requires no experience, and you can write about stuff that you are knowledgeable about, such as parenting, relationships or anything that interests you. Or write about spending the holiday alone. There are blogs, news publications, and many businesses that always need new content and they often rely on Freelance Writers. Learn more on writing online articles.
● Learn a new language: There are many services online that will allow you to learn a new language for free, and the peace and quiet of the holiday is a great time to do this. Learning a new language will help to advance your career by increasing your salary and hiring bonuses. It will also give you a competitive advantage over other candidates.
A new language will give you the opportunity to interact and connect with people across the globe and makes traveling and moving to another city or country easier. It can help reduce any loneliness you may face over the holiday. Visit Duolingo.com or Livemocha.com for instructional learning materials.
● Coding: In our digital age, coding is another word for “computer language”. Technology is everywhere and has become part of daily lives. By learning to code/program, you can become a professional coder for companies, sell software, or create apps and websites. Visit codeacademy.com.
● Starting your own business: If you have dreams of turning your passion into a business and need information and resources on getting started, visit skillshare.com to ultimate access over 25,000 classes that teach you photography, freelancing, film, design, and several other categories.
Skillshare.com is an online community of over 3 million users, and it allows you to practice and complete projects to improve your skills. An online community may also help you get over some of the Christmas holiday blues.
● Video Production: Learning to edit audio clips and videos is a valuable skill in our digital era. Who knows, maybe next Christmas you can use this new talent! Video production helps to communicate effectively and tell a story. Video production skills will help you to start your own Youtube Channel or a career in broadcast media.
We also have a comprehensive list of work from home jobs on needhelppayingbills. You can read up on them and use the holidays to learn a new skill which may help you land one of these positions working from home in the next year.
The holiday can be a great time to learn a new skill, especially if you are alone or are not in the mood to celebrate it. New skills may also lead to a better job and/or higher income for the upcoming year as well.