I survived lung cancer and now need help

State and local government assistance programs.
Travis Cult
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

I survived lung cancer and now need help

Post by Travis Cult »

My name is Tessa and I write this after a month of battling the embarrassment and feeling of pride that I have never really asked for help before this year, but here I am, in desperation after having survived long cancer. I am 32 years old living in Florida and a double lung surgery survivor as of 3 years ago. As you can imagine, being young and high risk after already going through what I went through, has been a challenge I am barely maintaining.
I was making almost 6 figures prior to this that I worked extremely hard to go against all odds that said I would be on disability for the rest of my life, to prove that wrong and thrive in a career. With that being said, I was living within my means of my income then. When the pandemic hit, with it being so deadly for me, I lost my job on March 26th of 2021. I have been on unemployment since but it has never been enough to even touch my bills so they have all piled up.
My wife was also in the process of getting a new career that we relocated to the Riverview area for from St Petersburg & that all fell through when they stopped all hiring processes when the pandemic started and when I got lung cancer, and survived it. She earned some unemployment but recently in the past 2 months took a job with the Early Learning Coalition with a salary of $42k. The issue is we are so behind on everything that her income puts food on the table, food for our animals, gas in our vehicles, doctor appts etc. but does not cover bills. I use my unemployment to cover things like cell phone bill, my 2 car payments, insurance, credit card payments that are maxed out, lawn maintenance etc. I am able to cover the water bill but everything else is so behind. We have a shut off soon notice from TECO with a bill of almost $500. We have not paid our mortgage in a year with it being close to $1,700 it is just not feasible. We did get help from r3 last year with assistance that was a huge life saver to us but Irina said they are only doing renters currently so the potential $7,500 we would possibly qualify for again, just said to reach out to you.
I know there are so many that are probably worse off and I feel terrible even asking for help but Chase bank who our mortgage is through keeps sending us alerts that the mortgage is due since we exhausted our year of payment deferments. So between TECO and the mortgage etc, I am drowning in wondering how we will keep the roof over our head and lights on. I also got punished for making over 75k by not getting the full stimulus checks. Please if there is any assistance, I would be forever grateful. I got my first shot yesterday and have my 2nd next month so after, I will be getting a full time job again, just at this moment, I am desperate.
Riverview FL 33578
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: I survived lung cancer and now need help

Post by Admin »

Never be embarrassed about asking for help, especially being a cancer survivor. We have some programs listed on the site that are focused on people with cancer and survivors. We also of course have many non-profits and government resources. One is Life Beyond Cancer, and they offer help. Find details here. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... tion_.html
Also explore the site for other programs.

Travis Cult wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:46 am My name is Tessa and I write this after a month of battling the embarrassment and feeling of pride that I have never really asked for help before this year, but here I am, in desperation after having survived long cancer. I am 32 years old living in Florida and a double lung surgery survivor as of 3 years ago. As you can imagine, being young and high risk after already going through what I went through, has been a challenge I am barely maintaining.
I was making almost 6 figures prior to this that I worked extremely hard to go against all odds that said I would be on disability for the rest of my life, to prove that wrong and thrive in a career. With that being said, I was living within my means of my income then. When the pandemic hit, with it being so deadly for me, I lost my job on March 26th of 2021. I have been on unemployment since but it has never been enough to even touch my bills so they have all piled up.
My wife was also in the process of getting a new career that we relocated to the Riverview area for from St Petersburg & that all fell through when they stopped all hiring processes when the pandemic started and when I got lung cancer, and survived it. She earned some unemployment but recently in the past 2 months took a job with the Early Learning Coalition with a salary of $42k. The issue is we are so behind on everything that her income puts food on the table, food for our animals, gas in our vehicles, doctor appts etc. but does not cover bills. I use my unemployment to cover things like cell phone bill, my 2 car payments, insurance, credit card payments that are maxed out, lawn maintenance etc. I am able to cover the water bill but everything else is so behind. We have a shut off soon notice from TECO with a bill of almost $500. We have not paid our mortgage in a year with it being close to $1,700 it is just not feasible. We did get help from r3 last year with assistance that was a huge life saver to us but Irina said they are only doing renters currently so the potential $7,500 we would possibly qualify for again, just said to reach out to you.
I know there are so many that are probably worse off and I feel terrible even asking for help but Chase bank who our mortgage is through keeps sending us alerts that the mortgage is due since we exhausted our year of payment deferments. So between TECO and the mortgage etc, I am drowning in wondering how we will keep the roof over our head and lights on. I also got punished for making over 75k by not getting the full stimulus checks. Please if there is any assistance, I would be forever grateful. I got my first shot yesterday and have my 2nd next month so after, I will be getting a full time job again, just at this moment, I am desperate.
Riverview FL 33578